SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Truck gun caliber?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck gun caliber? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Of those, I would go 5.56. A mini 30 in 7.62x39 is pretty handy too.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I routinely carry a Rossi M92 in 357 Magnum in my truck...

I live near a 50K population city and a black rifle would look scary and EVIL (muhahahah) to passersby if I stopped to put down a deer that had been hit by a car.

I know someone would call the cops. But it's just country enough that if someone saw a wood rifle shooting a deer they wouldn't call Johnny law.

You are a wise man to have thought this out. Gotta understand your environment.

I used to live in Hawaii. Not a super gun-friendly state. I had a wood-stock Rem 870 I kept for HD for the same reason.

Had a neighbor or two who were not 'gun people' but they had no issues with a shotgun like that. But if they saw an AR would have thought I was a maniac.

Some people just have pre-conceived notions about what is 'acceptable'.

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't leave a gun in my car. I think it is too likely to be stolen.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I like an AR-pistol of some sort in 5.56mm with a folding arm brace. No NFA rules since it's not an SBR. I can have a loaded pistol in my vehicle here but not a loaded rifle. I can fit it into a normal looking backpack to bring it with me as needed. And there are lots of readily available 5.56mm ammo choices.

I found a cheap 556XI, put a folding adapter on it and it has worked great. That Daniel Defense pistol would be nice but I didn't want to spend that much on something that would be spending a lot of time in the car.

Some of these options from Primary Arms could work well too:

http://www.primaryarms.com/rad....56m4-10fqr-sb15-mft

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I like an AR-pistol of some sort in 5.56mm with a folding arm brace. No NFA rules since it's not an SBR. I can have a loaded pistol in my vehicle here but not a loaded rifle. I can fit it into a normal looking backpack to bring it with me as needed. And there are lots of readily available 5.56mm ammo choices.

I found a cheap 556XI, put a folding adapter on it and it has worked great. That Daniel Defense pistol would be nice but I didn't want to spend that much on something that would be spending a lot of time in the car.

Some of these options from Primary Arms could work well too:

http://www.primaryarms.com/rad....56m4-10fqr-sb15-mft

I have a similar pistol with folding brace, detachable barrel, and a red dot all in 6.8 SPC that fits nicely in my truck's console. Easily deployed in under 10 seconds and very effective. On the negative side, it probably more recoil than some would want to deal with.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Timely topic

I was just thinking about this.

https://danieldefense.com/dani...er-ddm4v7p-1856.html

In .300 blackout. Am I wrong in thinking that the .300 is a superior round to the 5.56 in shorter distances, say under 200 meters?

I have that gun in 5.56 and love it. For 300blk, I think I'd go shorter than 10.5 though, just because the 300blk can, ya know?

Western Sport has the DDM4V7P 300blk in-stock. https://www.westernsport.com/p...bine-law-tac-folder/

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
44 mag 16" lever action. Very thin and slim so it fits under or in between things easier no matter the orientation. Doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities. If cops see/find it for any reason, it doesn't make me look like I'm out looking for trouble. Powerful enough to ward off or dispatch any creature in North America.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think any rifle would be an excellent Truck Gun as it is better than nothing. I like the following SKS, M1 30 Carbine, 30-30 Lever Rifle, 357 Magnum Lever Rifle, 44 Magnum Lever Rifle. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Typically when I've packed a, "Truck Gun", it's been on four wheeling trips, camping trips, fishing trips, stuff where we're out in the boonies. Typically it's been a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. Lightweight, compact and a powerful cartridge. It's politically correct in that people think cowboy gun rather than evil black rifle.

That said, I started to reconsider that on a trip a while back where we ran across a marijuana grow field. All at once 4 rounds in the magazine did not seem all that comforting. I've been considering my M1A SOCOM but have yet to pack it in the truck.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use an expensive SBR. I have an inexpensive 300 BLK 8.5" AR pistol with a RDS that would work.

I don't consider ammo cost a factor, truck gun just needs a few mags, it doesn't have to be one's primary training weapon.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
10/22 TD.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
10/22 TD.

22LR is not an ideal caliber, but there's also the Henry AR7 Survival Rifle. It'll work if you have a minute to put it together.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I don't know about reliability, but that Keltec PLR-16 always looked like the perfect vehicle pistol.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Think about it rationally. A truck gun should be capable of successfully penetrating vehicle body parts. If you are carrying it in a vehicle there is a good chance it will be used in, on , or around a vehicle. My vote is for a 7.62 X 39 in an AK pistol with an arm brace.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I would never leave a weapon in my trunk unless I had to.
If I did it would be measured by gauge not caliber .
12 gauge would be my choice, fired through a pump action.
A box of slugs,00, and #4 would accompany the gun.
My son and I both purchased Weatherby ( Turkish) shotguns from CDNN for less that $300 (basic model is less than $200)They have been flawless and I would not sweat any scratches on it when stored in a harsh environment.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post