SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Truck gun caliber?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck gun caliber? Login/Join 
posted
Thinking about keeping a gun in my truck for emergencies. I have an AR lower and uppers in 300 blackout and 5.56. Which one should I use?

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I vote 5.56.

quote:
Originally posted by LVJD:
Thinking about keeping a gun in my truck for emergencies. I have an AR lower and uppers in 300 blackout and 5.56. Which one should I use?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
5.56 - flatter trajectory, and lots of both cheap practice ammo and effective defensive ammo. FWIW, there are complete rifles out there that are pretty cheap out there these days.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/cat...hp/products_id/95081

http://www.jgsales.com/-p-61602.html

No connection to either seller.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I got a bushmaster 556 for it and like it.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A 30-30 would be a good one. About 8 rds and the remaining rounds in the box handy for a worse case senario. "Shrug"

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I think a .30 carbine mames a great truck rifle. A mag in the gun and two 15 Rounders in a but stock pouch. It's unassuming, small and light. Good out to 150 yards.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I occasionally pack along a truck gun, to supplement my carry pistol, and the choice depends on where I am going and what I expect might happen.

I have carried either a Mini-14 or AR15, both in 5.56, when I was going into dense urban areas on days when certain high profile jury verdicts were expected. In those cases, I wanted ammo capacity, and the lack of over-penetration that 5.56 accords.

When I am going deep in the woods, and a vehicle failure might mean I have to pack my way out, I tend to carry a lever gun in .35 Remington. It's light, handy, packs a punch, is better on hungry game, isn't threatening to anyone I might encounter, and is far more comfortable to carry slung or packed as it doesn't have the sharp edges that adorn most semi auto mag fed guns, and ARs in particular.

Given your choices, I would take the 5.56 on urban trips and the .300 on country trips. If you are simply going to leave a gun in there all the time, I think that 5.56 is the most versatile.

As gun guys, I think we tend to overthink these things a bit. Almost any long gun is going to be better than no long gun, if you need one. If you don't, it's an impediment in your truck and a theft risk, so I tend to grab what I feel is appropriate from the safe, rather than leaving something in there all the time.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I routinely carry a Rossi M92 in 357 Magnum in my truck...

I live near a 50K population city and a black rifle would look scary and EVIL (muhahahah) to passersby if I stopped to put down a deer that had been hit by a car.

I know someone would call the cops. But it's just country enough that if someone saw a wood rifle shooting a deer they wouldn't call Johnny law.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
7.62x39

As MikeinNC pointed out, a wood stocked rifle isn't as scary ... So one of these, also in 7.62x39

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got an old, beat up, scarred and ugly Jungle Carbine in .303 British. Its short, accurate enough for its needs, and was dirt cheap to acquire. In the unlikely event that I find myself going somewhere that I might want a rifle handy it would probably be the choice. It fits under my back seats and is cheap enough that I wouldn't cry if it vanished while I was making a pit stop. .303 also has enough punch for most of the large furry things that might like to take my place at the top of the food chain.

I also kind of like the fact that .303 is unusual enough that if someone DID steal it, feeding it would be a problem.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
For your choice I would say 5.56.

I personally would probably choose a 30-30 lever gun. I just like me lever guns.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious if made a difference in the equation if the barrel lengths were brought into play. The 5.56 is 7.5 inches and shoots a tremendous fireball when it goes off. The 300 is 8 inches and doesn’t produce nearly the light show. I have a Saker which eliminates the blast but am reluctant to carry any of my NFA stuff in the car in the event that I accidentally forget about it and roll over the state line. I would be using an AR pistol as the truck gun.

I suppose I could also carry an AR 9 pistol as well but I think I’d like a round with somewhat more capabilities

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Under no circumstances would I leave an NFA item unattended in my vehicle. You want compact? Find an old 16 inch lever gun. They are super quick and handy.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Timely topic

I was just thinking about this.

https://danieldefense.com/dani...er-ddm4v7p-1856.html

In .300 blackout. Am I wrong in thinking that the .300 is a superior round to the 5.56 in shorter distances, say under 200 meters?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
SKS in 7.62x39.
Drag it through the water,sand, mud, leaves, etc and it will still function.
Ballistically a 30.30.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
So if you wanna do a short gun I would do a 5.56 pistol, as you cannot carry a SBR between states. You cannot also leave a loaded rifle in the car or at least you cannot in NH.

I did one of these in my car Draco

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I prefer a P-228 with extra magazines as a EDC truck/personal weapon but with that said a Spikes carbine in 5.56 with extra magazines fits the "There might be trouble" bill. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Truck gun because you might need a defensive weapon or truck gun because you my need to dispatch an injured animal or shoot at coyote.

I had a "trunk gun" for some years, 22 Hornet over 410, because of a number of times being in rural areas and wishing I'd brought a shotgun and not just handguns.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Timely topic

I was just thinking about this.

https://danieldefense.com/dani...er-ddm4v7p-1856.html

In .300 blackout. Am I wrong in thinking that the .300 is a superior round to the 5.56 in shorter distances, say under 200 meters?

I have that gun in 5.56 and love it. For 300blk, I think I'd go shorter than 10.5 though, just because the 300blk can, ya know?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PorterN,

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post