SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone have experience with the UTG recon flex bipod vs magpul bipod?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with the UTG recon flex bipod vs magpul bipod? Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
I need a lightweight bipod for a .223 AR that will be shot mostly from the bench and prone, and occasional use coyote hunting. I've used Harris bipods for years, but find them bulky. The UTG and the magpul look more lightweight and streamlined.

Any issues with QC or durability?
I know the UTG doesn't have pivoting ability, but it's only 40 bucks.

Pic for reference:

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Also yes, I am looking at the MLok versions.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that I know anything about the UTG other than what I can see in the photo, there is a school of thought that its design with the legs attached to the sides of the handguard (or stock) is better than if they’re attached at the bottom. I don’t really understand why that design should be better, or in what way, but some people believe it and some expensive bipods are designed somewhat similarly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
At least till midnight tonight, Brownell's has a coupon code LDV for discounts and free shipping with orders over $75 putting the Magpul at around $94...I've been pleased with my Magpul bipod so far...can't speak on the UTG.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...pods-prod119659.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well SIG put UTG rails on their "Elite" ARs, so that means it must be legit. Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the guy in the pic has a man bun. That's enough for me to stat away :}

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 748s:
Looks like the guy in the pic has a man bun.

That's a tactical man bun. Slicked down for high speed & low drag.

It's the rage for all of us Tactical-Tony-types with receding hairlines.

Could be a hair plug in their somewhere...

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with UTG. But I really like the Magpul one I put on a rifle. I've had several cheap or knock off bi-pods. Eventually something breaks on them.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly I prefer to bite the bullet with 1 Atlas for semi-autos and a Harris with swivel for the traditional bolt actions.

Then I just swap them around as needed, because they really only get used for zeroing and letting the kids shoot; since my usual range only gets me to around 125yds max and at home 70yds is about the max engagement on hogs / yotes, there is no need to lug a bipod around 24/7.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I had a UTG bipod and I thought it was garbage. This one might be a better quality. But I would stick with the harris or magpul!!!!

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I had a UTG bipod and I thought it was garbage.!

I thought that was kind of across the board? Just above airsoft grade stuff??? Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, friends don’t let friends buy UTG.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've never been a fan of the bottom barrel accessories.
That said, nobody makes anything like this that isn't stupid expensive.

I went ahead and ordered the UTG and also a Magpul.
I'll post a report in a few weeks.

posted Hide Post
Well, as long as you don't have a tacibun, we'll let it slide... Wink Your Glock thread gives you plenty of street cred. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Well...you can always order one of these (we won't tell) Big Grin...

https://www.amazon.com/REECHO-...eywords=fake+man+bun

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most UTG stuff is cheap Chinese made junk.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Well, as long as you don't have a tacibun, we'll let it slide... Wink Your Glock thread gives you plenty of street cred. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

His dedication to getting out of going to school left me admiring his will to do what it takes.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was considering buying a expensive and/or “higher end” bipod I contacted three people who I thought would provide solid advice. I list them below:
• Staff member at Gunsite
• Former head of a statewide tactical organization in the northeast
• CQB program leader for one of our US Army Special Forces Groups

They all said, without reservation, buy a Harris. Even though I thought I needed something more, I bought a Harris. I now own two. Not the cheapest, not the prettiest, with little boasting rights these days, however, they work just fine for me.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
You'll be much happier with a Harris swivel model or an Atlas if you have the coin.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
You'll be much happier with a Harris swivel model or an Atlas if you have the coin.

Bingo. Both brands are sturdy, functional, and tolerate a lot of use & abuse. Proper bipod technique requires that the bipod be loaded with forward pressure -- a process that will eventually cause cheap bipods to fail.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post