SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remove / Install muzzle device
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remove / Install muzzle device Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What the hell are you guys talking about? AR barrels aren't threaded, at least any made in the past ten years ! Get an adjustable wrench, hold the rifle with one hand and give the wrench a smack with a hammer... Not rocket science. Don't go buy anything. To put the new one on just drop on the crush washer and clock it until it's lined up correctly...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
Get an adjustable wrench, hold the rifle with one hand and give the wrench a smack with a hammer... Not rocket science.

Bingo.
This works unless the barrel is 14.5" and pinned. Then we have a whole new ball game.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm confused Smile

Anyway, I bought a vise and the reaction rod. Probably doesn't hurt to have them even though I've never bought one in my life to date. Smile But maybe I'll build an upper from scratch some day so I don't have these dumb questions Smile

I bought the ALG SCB. Apparently it comes with a peel washer -- never heard of that before and had to look it up. I need to learn how to properly install the ALG w/ a peel washer. Peeling off a layer will be fun with my old eyes.....

And just to confirm -- I should target 15-20 ft-lbs of torque, right? Too much is bad for the barrel tip? Once the device is snug, it never really gets loose unless one takes a wrench to it (ie - never from just firing)?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
This works unless the barrel is 14.5" and pinned. Then we have a whole new ball game.

Given where I am, I always buy 16" just to be safe. I prefer 16" middy's anyway Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
And just to confirm -- I should target 15-20 ft-lbs of torque, right? Too much is bad for the barrel tip? Once the device is snug, it never really gets loose unless one takes a wrench to it (ie - never from just firing)?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about the torque... its going to take whatever is needed to correctly clock the brake... looking down the barrel(not literally, just for explanation)if you hand tighten and end up with the "top" of the brake at 9 o'clock then you're only going to wrench a few pounds to get it right. On the other hand, if you end up at 2 o'clock you've got a long way to tighten to get all the way around... I've had this happen many time and I usually experiment- sometimes two crush washers, sometimes flip them over, sometimes crush one and add a new one. There are only three "nuts" that need to be tighten on modern AR's and none really need to be torqued to any specification for your gun to run perfect.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't worry about the torque... its going to take whatever is needed to correctly clock the brake... looking down the barrel(not literally, just for explanation)if you hand tighten and end up with the "top" of the brake at 9 o'clock then you're only going to wrench a few pounds to get it right. On the other hand, if you end up at 2 o'clock you've got a long way to tighten to get all the way around... I've had this happen many time and I usually experiment- sometimes two crush washers, sometimes flip them over, sometimes crush one and add a new one. There are only three "nuts" that need to be tighten on modern AR's and none really need to be torqued to any specification for your gun to run perfect.

Its nice that you're 'experimenting' with crush washers, but it doesn't need to be included in a thread like this were the OP is trying to do the right thing and asking for verification.

Crush washers, ( to be correctly installed ) have the bevelled side toward the step in the barrel, not toward the muzzle device and only one crush washer is used at a time.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

And just to confirm -- I should target 15-20 ft-lbs of torque, right? Too much is bad for the barrel tip? Once the device is snug, it never really gets loose unless one takes a wrench to it (ie - never from just firing)?

Correct.

When using a crush washer, the amount of torque needed to time the muzzle device correctly will vary. Peel washers and other such spacers make it possible to correctly time a muzzle device so that a minimum amount of torque is applied, ( I try to stay right at twenty FT LBs at the most ).

I've been using these on my last two AR projects:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...ystem-prod54363.aspx

I haven't had any of my muzzle devices loosen up when using these. If you're still worried about a muzzle device coming loose with these, a very tiny drop of Rockset, ( or similar product ) on the first few threads of the muzzle will do the trick. Just be prepared to use some heat from a small hobby style butane torch if you decide down the road to remove that muzzle device.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. If the peel washer doesn't work out (would be nice if they included a couple for the uninitiated). Are peel washers readily available in big box stores (HD, Lowes, Ace)?

If I can't get it to work, then I'll look at ordering those two things.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It's good that you've abandoned the receiver-in-a-vise plan. It's usually fine but every now and then someone has a really stuck muzzle device, just keeps pushing until it comes off, and bends or breaks their upper receiver.

quote:
What I was thinking was mounting the vise to some wood. Then use c-clamps to fix the wood to the table temporarily.

I use a 6" bench vise bolted down to a piece of 1" plywood that is about 18" square. Set it on the floor, stand or kneel on one side, you can put all the torque you want on it. When you're done, set it somewhere out of the way.

quote:
Are peel washers readily available in big box stores (HD, Lowes, Ace)?

Not that I have ever seen.

I personally like the shim kits better than crush washers or peel washers but I'm not an expert on this. AAC supplies them with their muzzle devices and they are also available separately.

http://www.silencershop.com/aac-shim-kits.html

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the hell are you guys talking about? AR barrels aren't threaded, at least any made in the past ten years ! .

Wrong. And what you suggest can shear a index pin or damage an upper receiver.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
. There are only three "nuts" that need to be tighten on modern AR's and none really need to be torqued to any specification for your gun to run perfect.

Ignore this advice. It is wrong.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Got the Geissele reaction rod. Deceptively heavy, it is!

Looks like 1 lb, feels like 10 lbs.

Waiting for the vise and the ALG.

I know it won't happen so I don't need to worry to much about improperly installing and the round hitting the back face of the ALG, right? That never happens, right? Worst case, what would happen if it does?

That hole looks pretty small up front (compared to the open face of the A2)....
https://algdefense.com/single-chamber-brake-scb.html

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
A v-block that will safely clamp in a vise is probably the safest and best tool for this job, but often a pain in the but because there isn't a lot of real estate on an AR-15 barrel between the FSB or the front of the handguard and the muzzle.

Next would be a reaction rod. Either a Geissele or the Brownells version. I have a Geissele reaction rod and it is simply indispensable in my opinion. I use it all the time. Locks into the steel barrel extension and allows you to do a lot of work without removing optics or handguards.

After that would be the clamshell type receiver blocks.

There are some upper receiver blocks that place all the stress on the upper lugs for the takedown pins. I would not use one of these myself. Too easy to damage your upper receiver.

I suppose you may be able to have someone hold the rifle while you torque off the muzzle device but they will likely wind up putting a lot of force on the grip.

There's a lot to be said for having the right tool for the job.

IndianaBoy nailed it. I've tried and have all of these tools. The Super Reaction Rod is the best for barrel or muzzle work. I also like it better than Brownell's rod. The barrel vise is the safest method. But the Reaction Rod is so much easier to use like IndianaBoy said. As long as your barrel extension is properly installed (and it probably is), then you'll have no problems if you torque below the top end of the spec. I never over torque my barrels anyway.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I haven't had any of my muzzle devices loosen up when using these. If you're still worried about a muzzle device coming loose with these, a very tiny drop of Rockset, ( or similar product ) on the first few threads of the muzzle will do the trick. Just be prepared to use some heat from a small hobby style butane torch if you decide down the road to remove that muzzle device.

Rockset is actually pretty weak, it is just heat resistant. If the muzzle device has a good set of wrench flats you can wrench it off.

Rockset is also water soluble, soak it in water and it will come off pretty easily. Which is an option for muzzle devices that don't have a good set of wrench flats.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know it won't happen so I don't need to worry to much about improperly installing and the round hitting the back face of the ALG, right? That never happens, right? Worst case, what would happen if it does?

That hole looks pretty small up front (compared to the open face of the A2)....
https://algdefense.com/single-chamber-brake-scb.html

You would have to be really hamfisted to cross thread a muzzle device. It will spin on easily by hand.

As for timing it properly, AAC sells shim kits to time muzzle devices. They are color coded and come with 5 or 6 shims of varying thickness. You can try each individual shim or stack them together until everything lines up like you want. They are very easy to use, and I HATE peel washers.

You can use a crush washer or even a split ring washer for a simple muzzle brake. Shims are important if you are installing a quick detach mount for a suppressor.

Shim kit.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sorry, really dumb question. I just want to be sure..... I don't want to screw up my AR and/or result in an explosion Smile

So, to use the Geissele reaction rod, vise to remove/install muzzle device:

1) clamp down on reaction rod flat in vise
2) remove BCG from upper receiver; insert upper receiver onto reaction rod
3) ensure lugs on reaction rod insert into the receiver lugs near the barrel where the BCG would fit (I'm not sure what to call the piece with lugs near the barrel)
4) hold the upper on the handguard, apply lateral pressure to ensure the upper and reaction rod lugs remain securely seated
5) use other hand to work the wrench and remove / install muzzle device

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I'm not sure what to call the piece with lugs near the barrel)

That is the barrel extension.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, really dumb question. I just want to be sure..... I don't want to screw up my AR and/or result in an explosion Smile

So, to use the Geissele reaction rod, vise to remove/install muzzle device:

1) clamp down on reaction rod flat in vise
2) remove BCG from upper receiver; insert upper receiver onto reaction rod
3) ensure lugs on reaction rod insert into the receiver lugs near the barrel where the BCG would fit (I'm not sure what to call the piece with lugs near the barrel)
4) hold the upper on the handguard, apply lateral pressure to ensure the upper and reaction rod lugs remain securely seated
5) use other hand to work the wrench and remove / install muzzle device

Correct but #4 isn't really an issue.

You can clamp the reaction rod vertically in the vice if you want to.

Whether you place it horizontal or vertical, clamp it tight. I have a piece of leather I use to keep the vice from marring the flats of the reaction rod. Not because it would harm the functionality, but because I'm OCD like that.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I'll try to clamp the rod vertically then. Gravity can help keep the upper seated in the rod. And then I can also kneel on the piece of wood on which I'm mounting the vise. Seems like vertical would be a more stable orientation.

Strap of leather. I'll see if I can find something laying around.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks!

I'll try to clamp the rod vertically then. Gravity can help keep the upper seated in the rod. And then I can also kneel on the piece of wood on which I'm mounting the vise. Seems like vertical would be a more stable orientation.

Strap of leather. I'll see if I can find something laying around.

My vice is mounted to a heavy ass work bench made out of 2 inch thick native timbers.

The heavier the better.

My strip of leather is a thick old gun belt. With that in place I can really torque the crap out of the vice really clamp the reaction rod in there.

That reaction rod is a beautiful hunk of metal isn't it?