SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any experience with Columbus Machine Works ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Columbus Machine Works ? Login/Join 
posted
When I was looking for somebody to rebuild a Garand Op Rod for me , they came highly recommended . I sent it to them about 9 weeks ago . Still waiting ....

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are GTG in my experience.

They are one of the only games in town for op rod rebuilding and there have been a lot of worn/damaged op rods sold the last few years for cheap.

They could be that busy, or perhaps Covid has disrupted operations.

I don't think op rod work is anything other than a sideline for them as I believe they are still a working machine shop.

Have you inquired with them for a status update?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
They are GTG in my experience.

They are one of the only games in town for op rod rebuilding and there have been a lot of worn/damaged op rods sold the last few years for cheap.

They could be that busy, or perhaps Covid has disrupted operations.

I don't think op rod work is anything other than a sideline for them as I believe they are still a working machine shop.

Have you inquired with them for a status update?
At about the 6 week mark I inquired . " We're working on it " . Not much I can do now except wait it out . I was just curious if anybody else had used them and if they were happy with the results .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a few years, but I liked what I got from them repair wise.

Problem is, at least as I see it, if you need more than a replacement piston or rebuilt tab on a common op rod, they almost aren't economical to fix anymore. Rare rods, different story.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Been a few years, but I liked what I got from them repair wise.

Problem is, at least as I see it, if you need more than a replacement piston or rebuilt tab on a common op rod, they almost aren't economical to fix anymore. Rare rods, different story.
I was leery of buying something used so I thought I would have my spare checked and rebuilt . I knew the lug was worn so I'll have a good one to put away when it's all said and done .

posted Hide Post
Understandable, I have spares for my spares, so I get it.