SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II - apparently a best buy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II - apparently a best buy Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I don't have one, don't need one, not gonna get one, but if you're on a budget and want an AR15, this rifle looks like a really good buy. Currently, going for about 500 bucks.

I ran across thes vids and just thought I'd share.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we should all have like 10 ARs by now Big Grin no excuse not to...

quality / cost curve is amazing at this point

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have two of the original M&P Sports. Think I paid $550.00 for them a few yers back. The originals did not have forward assist or dust covers. Never saw this has a problem. Fun and reliable rifles.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I too have an original Sport and I can't remember what I paid for it. I think around $600. It's been flawless and is a blast to shoot. At the current price for the Sport II I'd jump on it if I wanted another AR.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty amazing meltdown video. The M&P held up pretty well -- in the league of some other rifles he tested....er..abused. Too bad he didn't cut apart the barrel for inspection, as the Lucky Gunner folks did with their steel- vs. brass-cased ammo test.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I added one to the collection as part of my “Hillary Hedge Fund” back in 2016. Fun rifle that reignited the AR bug in me.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who has one, and it's a very nice AR. His is absolutely reliable, nicely finished, and very accurate.

They are nice guns, with a good warranty, and generally go between $500 and $520 at the Orlando gun show.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
I added one to the collection as part of my “Hillary Hedge Fund” back in 2016. Fun rifle that reignited the AR bug in me.

LOL!!! I did the same thing since I did not anticipate the outcome of the election. Mine has been a fun, reliable rifle. I plan to change out the stock for a Magpul. The trigger is pretty good. These are a great value at today's prices. If I didn't have one I would get one.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you want to do something to improve the rifle, put in an H or H2 buffer. In the first video I posted, it was mentioned that the rifle has a carbine buffer (3.0 ounces), and that the rifle seems overgassed. This is a rifle which needs a heavier buffer.

If it were me, I'd put in an H2 buffer, especially if shooting 5.56 ammo, not .223 ammo.

You can get a heavier buffer for 25 or 30 bucks.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The second vid is impressive. I did not watch the first one.

The MP kill test was what you would hope for in something you have a ton of trust in. "It will Keeeel"! Wink

830 rds in maybe 5 mins. full auto Eek

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Interesting how the rate of fire slowed down as the gun heated up.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Mann:
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:

LOL!!! I did the same thing since I did not anticipate the outcome of the election. Mine has been a fun, reliable rifle. I plan to change out the stock for a Magpul. The trigger is pretty good. These are a great value at today's prices. If I didn't have one I would get one.

Same here, bought a Colt and a Smith Sport II. Both still NIB! I use my Armalite most of the time.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Solid AR-15 and pretty much my first recommendation to someone wanting a $500-ish rifle without building yourself.

Plus you get S&W warranty.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I made a good purchase a few months back! Smile

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had one for about three years and it is my go to AR when we go plinking....About 2000 rounds through it with zero issues. I do clean mine often and keep the BCG covered with a nice coating of Slide-Glide Lite grease....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother in law is a cop in a small town with a small budget for equipment. They bought several of these a few years ago and so far they haven't had any problems with them. Last year on black Friday they were around $400. I would have bought a truck load of them if I could.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Wow, interesting timing. They just had them on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse and I picked one up. My first real rifle.

We have been having coyote issues here lately and felt like I needed something. Nice to know I made a good choice.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
My go to AR is a Smith Tactical. I know it doesn't put me in the uber cool operator club, but it has been an excellent rifle with MOA accuracy and absolute reliability through over 5K rounds. I put an H2 buffer in mine and changed the trigger out for a LaRue. I recently installed an M-Lok rail and a VG Gamma muzzle device and the recoil impulse is as flat as my 5th grade girl friend.

If you consider the lifetime warranty, its hard to beat the entry Smith.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
How does it compare to a PSA kit or build? Those are 450 bucks right now.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
At the below $500 I would go the S&W Route KCW.

Nothing wrong with PSA either. S&W would be my choice.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post