SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Excessive headspace? Is a rebarrel the only solution? Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excessive headspace? Is a rebarrel the only solution? Update Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am looking at an Israeli Mauser 98K that was converted to 7.62 in an arsenal rebuild. The bolt reportedly closes on the Go, NoGo, and Field gauges in 308. Is the rifle unsafe to shoot? I am guessing that it needs some attention but I would like to avoid losing all the Israeli markings on the barrel. Can I get the chamber recut? Would I have to make it a wall hanger or buy a new barrel and lose the cool markings?
I would prefer to shoot it.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried 7.62 NATO gauges? They are longer than a .308 gauges.

ETA, if my math is correct, a Forster 7.62 Max gauge appears to be .0075" longer than their .308 Field gauge.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I haven't had my hands on the rifle, yet. Issue reported by the seller. I will be having it checked by a real gunsmith but I am curious as to the fix, if the issue is real.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe you can have a gunsmith set the original barrel back and rechamber it. Not sure of cost.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
I believe you can have a gunsmith set the original barrel back and rechamber it. Not sure of cost.

This. A good gunsmith should be able to shorten the barrel and rechamber.

Being a mauser, they will have to cut one full thread revolution to index the extractor relief cut.

That shouldn't be a problem though.

If a good smith does it, you will never know anything was ever done.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Okay then, does a good smith need the whole rifle or can I pull the barrel and send it out? How can I find someone who would specialize in this kind of work?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Okay then, does a good smith need the whole rifle or can I pull the barrel and send it out? How can I find someone who would specialize in this kind of work?

Bruce

They would probably need the barreled action.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They need the barrel, action and bolt to check headspace and fit after the work.
This is normal type work for any good gunsmith who does re-barreling.
Maybe someone here has had a good experience with a local to you gunsmith.
Going online it looks like Reno or JHR gunsmiths might be possible choices.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If it is chambered in 7.62, use the gauges for 7.62.

As Indiana said, they can turn the barrel down. But, rebarreling a Mauser 98k is no big, Walther still makes the barrels.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
But, rebarreling a Mauser 98k is no big, Walther still makes the barrels.

If you're going to rebarrel it, your best bet may be to grab one of these NOS Israeli 7.62 K98k barrels for $100:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/m...-k98-barrel-nos.html

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Damn, you guys are good but Rogue takes the cake!
Thanks, everyone!

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The rifle will be at the gunsmith, later today. We will see if it's safe to fire. If it is, it will just get a deep cleaning and be called good. If not, a new surplus barrel will be ordered.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
You definitely have to make sure the right gauges are used. A well-intentioned colleague ordered us a set of .223 gauges for AR-15 armorer inspections and we found a ton of guns closed on the "no-go." That makes sense, since the 223 round is just a bit shorter. None closed on a proper 5.56 no go.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The gunsmith tells me that he was unable to find a 7.62 NATO Field gauge anywhere.

I looked around online and found "Minimum" and "Maximum" but no ""Field". The explanation of "maximum" was "maximum headspace for a new chamber" not for a service limit for a worn one.

Can anyone point me to a source for a "Field" gauge? I am taking the rifle back and want to check it myself.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
7.62 NATO Field gauge length 1.6455".

Forster Products 7.62 NATO Max gauge length 1.6455".

If your bolt closes on a 1.6455" gauge, it sounds like you have long headspace.

I have seen several "gunsmiths" that may own headspace gauges, but have no idea how to properly use them. Not saying that is the case here but it is something to consider. If you are willing to pay the postage both ways, I can lend you a 7.62 Max gauge.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information and the very generous offer. I think I will want to add both the tool and the skill to my toolbox. I will order a Forester gauge.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I have one you can borrow, but I need it back.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tony. I ordered a Forster gauge, now that I know that it is appropriate to my needs.

The generosity of this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli