SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Nice Gift! Sako L579 in .243
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice Gift! Sako L579 in .243 Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

A long-time friend of mine who just had his 80th birthday is, unfortunately, in failing health. He's sure he'll never fire a center-fire rifle again and wanted his Sako to go to someone who would appreciate it.

Going by the serial number (63xxx) and what I can find on the interwebz, it's a 1966 production model and has the Bofors heavy barrel on it. Bluing is flawless, wood stock has some very light wear.

Decent Redfield 3x9 and a Harris bipod. Should make a nice varmint rifle.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15211 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
That is a wonderful gift!

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WINNER!

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a nice gift.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
OOOOhhhh, that's awfully nice. .243 is a fine caliber, too.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12769 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Sako actions are so slick. When you get to shoot it, a range report is mandatory! Smile

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
Wonderful rifle and friend. Bittersweet.

My introduction to Sako rifles was shooting a L46 Mannlicher .222 that belonged to a friend of mine. Never felt a trigger like it and although I thought I didn't like that stock style, there was just something about it on that rifle that looked right. A couple of years ago, I saw the same era rifle in my LGS and jumped on it, trying to figure out what I currently owned that I could live without. Smile

Mine is from 1959

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have a minty 1966 ‘Forester’ bought off the original owner, 243. This one is a sporter weight.

I didn’t really need it, but couldn’t pass it up. So much nicer than most current production rifles.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I really like the .243
Don’t see much about outside of the predator forums these days.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Congrats- The .243 does many things well and is an exceptional deer round. It is an excellent choice for recoil sensitive folks, especially young/ small framed shooters.

I knew a fellow that built an AR based on the .243 back when you would have been hard pressed to find one other than 5.56/.223. It was a smooth shooting, accurate little beastie.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The fact the he gifted it to you is special. I am sure you know that. God Bless him.

I too love the .243 win. Such a great round. Do not discount that Redfield. Very good vintage optic. Congrats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That is a sexy rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I really like the .243

.243 is still a popular deer round around here, especially for younger/smaller or recoil sensitive shooters.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That is a sexy rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I really like the .243

.243 is still a popular deer round around here, especially for younger/smaller or recoil sensitive shooters.

Same here, I personally know 3-4 .243 deer hunters, just off the top of my head.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15292 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I absolutely adore my M70 Featherweight in .243. Makes it hard to pick up any other rifles when deer hunting. 100gr Partitions make deer very dead very fast.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I absolutely adore my M70 Featherweight in .243. Makes it hard to pick up any other rifles when deer hunting. 100gr Partitions make deer very dead very fast.

You have posted pictures of that rifle, and every time, it makes me drool. Oh my God, is that a beautiful piece of work! Classic rifle, classic round and in a featherweight, just about perfect.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12769 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I got a 1969 model for one of my friends when she wanted a rifle to hunt with. She shot it and found it to be the most incredible thing she'd ever tried, it shot like a laser.

She sold it to a guy who desperately wanted it and gave her a very very good price for it.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a beauty and will be a nice reminder of your friendship.

I also recently inherited a L579 Deluxe in .243 with s/n 24xxx, which I place in ‘62.

I replaced the recoil pad, added a light tan leather sling that largely matches the wood stock and a Nikon Monarch scope.

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
243 is definitely good for Deer. I used one for about 15 years in Del Rio Texas and dropped deer at 250 yards without fail. Good looking weapon you have there.

Posts: 20 | Location: Texas Gulf Coast | Registered: September 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Classy rig!
I love 243s, 85gr Sierra bthp handloads in my rifles work great for putting meat in the freezer.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 243 in my opinion is one of the greatest if not the greatest varmint/deer combination cartridges ever.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post