SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka T3X TAC A1
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3X TAC A1 Login/Join 
Picture of henryrifle
posted
Some of you guys are a bad influence. There was a post last week about the Ruger RPR and between sigfreund and mas4363 you two brought up the Tikka. I had to go to EuroOptic and take a look.

One thing led to another and now I am an owner. It seems like a very well thought out system. The folding stock locks up perfectly when extended with no play. There is a lot of padding on the buttstock. The adjustable comb is fast and easy to both loosen and lock and the rest of the rifle is solid and well turned out.

I do wish I came with a 20 MOA rail but that is easy enough to fix with the right scope mount. The front rail is M-Loc which is okay though I prefer KeyMod, and the two-stage trigger is not exactly what I think of when I think of a two stage trigger. Not complaining about any of those things just commenting.

Hope to put get the barrel broken-in this weekend and report back.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Damn nice!
Congrats man!
I've heard nothing but good things about those rifles.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I bet it shoots like a rifle costing twice as much.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Nice! Congrats!

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Dang you for posting this! Now I want one.

Congrats, and let us know how it shoots.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Which scope is that?

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, I just put a deposit down on one.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Dribble.

NOW look what you made me do.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Sweet! Which scope is that?

It appears to be a Burris XTR II.
I have the same scope in Mils.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Looks nice.

I like doing business with Euro Optic. They are a class act.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I would say that I'm sorry for pushing any of you over the edge on the decision to purchase one but I won't because lying is wrong Smile and I am usually the one who ends up spending money on something I didn't even know existed--much like this purchase.

The scope is a Burris XTR II in MOA, the 5-25 model. I like the First Focal Plane aspect of the scope but if you are using holds and looking through the bottom of the scope, the image is darker and less clear. No amount of messing with the side focus and the ocular lens adjustment fixes that on mine. It also has a sensitive eyebox. Otherwise it is a nice scope and very usable. It is bright and clear looking through the center. For comparison and in a similar price range the NF 5-20X56 SHV is brighter, has a forgiving eyebox and there is no significant image change from looking through the center of the scope VS looking through the bottom of the scope.

Thanks for the well wishes. I will report back as soon as I try it out.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Looks nice.

I like doing business with Euro Optic. They are a class act.

the owner is a client of mine and a BIG TIME hunter. they really do run an A+ business.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.308 winchester ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love helping people spend money.

I'd buy one but I already have a Sako TRG 22 in 6.5x47 (custom barrel).

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I have enough .308s and have been having fun with a 6.5 Creedmoor semi-auto. Thought it would be a fun challenge to identify some projectiles and build some hand loads for something new, and, as such, made this one a 6.5 CM.

Henryrifle

P.S. Thanks mas4363 for introducing the rifle to the discussion. Not to long ago I put a Remington 700 into a Mod-X chassis but the TAC A1 is so much more refined with many thoughtful touches including great quality fit and finish. Really looking forward to getting started with it.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You choose wisely Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where's the muzzle brake? Mine came with one in the box (lower left side). If yours didn't I'd be asking where it was. Also don't forget to send in to Beretta for your free extra mag! :-)

Fwiw the mags appear to be TRG-22 mags with a plastic floor plate so they won't fit in a TRG. It would have been nice to have cheaper TRG Mags!............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I do have the muzzle brake but won't be using it. I have no plans to compete or to engage in any kind of rapid fire exercises where reduced recoil is necessary to improve shooter performance. My experience with the 6.5 CM semi indicates that it isn't necessary. I also have an idea to screw a suppressor on but, I want to develop some good loads before adding any other variables.

I will send the warranty card in to get the "free" magazine.

I know many of you own some very nice bolt actions. I have been much more interested in the semi autos making this TAC A1 the nicest bolt gun I own. I say that so you understand my frame of reference. With that in mind, the fit and finish, feel of the bolt and solid build quality make this gun feel much more expensive than its actual price would suggest. There is no plastic other than the adjustable cheek rest (even the locking knobs are aluminum), the stock is solid and all metal with generous shoulder padding and most impressive to me is that there is zero slop in the folding stock.

Really looking forward to shooting it tomorrow.

Henryrifle

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The muzzle brake isn't about rapid fire. It's about controlling the recoil so that you can spot your own hits and misses on the target. That capability will absolutely improve shooter performance as you can self diagnose the various issues that crop up during precision rifle shooting. 6.5CM isn't exactly recoil heavy but the brake will help, give it a try. A good brake made a substantial difference on my Tikka in .308 pictured below.

Congrats on the new rifle by the way. I'm a big Tikka fan and think they did an excellent job with this new model. I've already recommended it to a couple friends. Before the TAC A1 I think the next best option would be to buy a CTR and drop it in a KDG XRAY chassis but I'm not sure you would come out ahead on budget once mags and a good brake are factored in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brett B,

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post