SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question on a 11.5” gas system and PSA build?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on a 11.5” gas system and PSA build? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking to get an 11.5” upper and have a couple questions.

First, if I cut down a 16” carbine barrel will it be reliable as an 11.5”?

Second, any issues with PSA long term? I’m looking for a reliable gun but not at BCM or DD prices.

I have a DD carbine that is my number one and a PSA upper, the one I’m thinking of cutting down, that has ran well but I’m only about 500rds in.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.righttobear.com/Ba...ne-p/babl556023m.htm

It will work but why not just buy a new barrel like the one above?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
It didn’t occur to me, doh.

Then I’d have another barrel laying around which would turn into another gun. Win!

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA 10.5” upper. Run it w/ and w/o a suppressor. No problems whatsoever. Decent accuracy as well. I suspect you would have no problems.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just buy a new PSA upper - on the assumption you are making a 11.5" AR pistol or a Short Barreled Rifle.

11.5" PSA Upper with $229 w/BCG & CH.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...charging-handle.html

10.5" PSA Pistol kit, everything but the lower.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...arth-5165449128.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
^Thus the second part of my question as I’m looking at those as well.

posted Hide Post
Yup, I'd buy a barrel vs. cutting one down. I really like Faxon

https://faxonfirearms.com/11-5...mid-length-4150-qpq/

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The gas port sizes are different if you cut down a 16 inch. I believe they are substantially larger, 20-40% or so (going off faded memory) on the 11.5 vs the 16. You'll have to research the correct gas port size and buy the correct drill bit to make the hole larger.

This day and age? Just buy the 11.5 upper.

BCM had a article years ago on why the 11.5 was superior to the 10.5.

I bought a Colt 11.5 subsequently, and it works flawlessly.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I had an 11.5 mid length Faxon. It was really reliable and accurate. People will try to say that 11.5 is too short for mid length gas. I disagree.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA 12-in 6.5 Grendel. Accuracy is on part with M4 using milspec ammunition. I put a good 500 rounds through it not cleaning the gun at all no issues. A lot of the PSA's have adjustable gas blocks. This is both a blessing and a curse as you can adjust the gun for specific ammo. If it goes out of spec you're trying to figure out what gas setting it needs to be at.

For non serious guns I like PSA.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post