SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope recommendations for 16" AR? **Ordered an ACOG**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations for 16" AR? **Ordered an ACOG** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Looking for a decent 3-9x power or lower scope with 1" tube for my BCM mid-length 16" flat top AR.

Will be mounted on a Burris PEPR QD mount.

Was thinking a Leupold Mark AR. Anything else in that price range I should be considering?

I'm open to Burris, Vortex, Leupold, Nikon, Trijicon Etc.

I don't see shooting past 300 yards with this one.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I have the economical Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 on a Burris PEPR QD, on a PSA 16" 5.56 upper. It works well. Longest I've targeted with it is 550 yds.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I think there are a lot of good choices. For the money Nikon's are hard to beat. I donated a prostaff here a few years ago that was a really good scope. It was a fix 4 power I belief. Was about perfect for your application.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, so far I'm down to these two:

-Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40 with firedot TMR and P5 turrets

-Nikon 3-12x42 SF M-223 with Nikoplex reticle.

What do you guys think about the BURRIS AR TACT 4.5-14X42 C4 MOA MATTE?

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Get the lightest scope you can. That burris seems like way more scope than necessary. What do you plan to do with your AR. As I said. A fixed 4x power is a really good simple universal optic for an AR imho opinion. And yes you can ring steel with 4x at 300yds.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The Mark AR Mod1 scopes are really good for the price.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up Nikon P223 for mine. My son liked it so much, he put one on his. Both also use the PEPR mount. Going to put a Primary Arms 1x6 with the preditor reticle on my 10.5 pistol, when finances permit.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Also looking at the Burris MTAC

or the Leupold VX-R Patrol

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I said fugeddaboutit....

I've always wanted one and I can afford it right now, so.....

I ordered an ACOG.

TRTA31RCO-M4CP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
two TA31F's and I couldn't be happier with them. pricy but well worth it! enjoy the ACOG!

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
FedEx delivers...

Tony.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
The ACOG was one of the more expensive purchases I’ve made, accessory wise, but the one that I have been the happiest with. Enjoy Big Grin

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
ACOG's are great.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I dig them ACOGs:

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Good choice.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 TA-11s, fantastic optics.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Had a great day today. Not only did I break in my new FrankenSOCOM, but I took my daughter and son in law. She has more time behind the ACOG than I do. She just got out of The Marines in December, so the ACOG is all she knows.

Got it all dialed in at 100 and will take it out to some longer ranges later. I was very impressed with it. I'm actually excited to shoot my AR's again!

Tony.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
That's awesome!

I bet she felt right at home with your new ACOG! ( Hopefully not too at home with it though. Big Grin )

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Oh, she's got me wrapped around her little finger. I'm sure she'll have an ACOG and a flat-top upper for her AR by Christmas!

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
What model is that 3-9 ACOG? Wink

I've only got 1 ACOG, it's the NSN, I bought it for an AR but didn't like it, tried it on a couple different ones and it finally landed on my P556/SBR which has gone through several configurations ... Different hand guards, on its 3rd lower/stock/trigger ... It's a little heavy for an SBR, but just like I've said every time before;
"Finally, it's just right" Roll Eyes

The bipod isn't always on it but it was at the time of the pic ...
Leupold is pretty much my goto glass; but for a emergency/goto defence long gun ACOG, it's the toughest most dependable around.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post