SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope recommendations for 16" AR? **Ordered an ACOG**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations for 16" AR? **Ordered an ACOG** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yeah, its funny how we go off the rails from our original intentions. I was having a terrible week that week and to be quite honest, getting the ACOG was retail therapy which resulted in recoil therapy.

But unlike purchases made when not in the best of moods, I don't and won't have buyer's remorse on this one. Wink

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benny,
A few questions;
What about tossing an ACOG on an M-1a? I'm looking at an 4X32 or the 3.5 X 35 (for a .308).
I'm probably going to mount it on a Sadlak or a Springfield 4th Gen.

Can you recommend a good cheek riser?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Benny,
A few questions;
What about tossing an ACOG on an M-1a? I'm looking at an 4X32 or the 3.5 X 35 (for a .308).
I'm probably going to mount it on a Sadlak or a Springfield 4th Gen.

Can you recommend a good cheek riser?

It’s simply too high and will look FUGLY. I mounted it for a minute and just shook my head and pulled it right off.

The lower power scopes in the 1-6x range will fit the role better.

[QUOTE=nf1e;4287826]Been there, done that, and it works as dumb as it looks compared to the right optic for the job. If someone hadn't suggested it, I would never have even tried it. Works great on an AR. Not so much on the M14 Type.

[URL="[url=https://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_1977_zpsz8rx4yz3.jpg.html] [/QUOTE]

I recommend a Sadlak airborne mount or a Bassett low mount.

Use a Bradley cheek rest. I’ve got two. He’s local to me and I’ve met him before. Cool guy.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put a 4x32 ACOG on a .308 if I had the choice of a different optic with a longer eye relief.

The eye relief is very short on the 4x ACOGs, which is why the .308 BDC reticles come on the 3.5x ACOGs with the longer eye-reliefs. The 4x ACOGs were designed for 5.56 ARs, and are just about right for nose-to-charging handle eye relief.

Yes, it can be done hardware wise, but why take the risk?

And the ACOG was built to attach either to a carry handle on an AR or a flattop mount on an AR, which means it's likely going to be too high on a traditional comb stock like an M1A.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a standard Acog on my M14 that I carried (in addition to my M4) my second deployment to Iraq. It worked for me, I was in Baghdad and didn't need the linger range that our Leupolds provided.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, gents!

Yeah, it does look a little fugly...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Knowing what I know now and having messed around with as many configurations as I have with scopes, cheek risers and mounts, I'd be curious to hear what those soldiers in those pictures would have said about the usefulness of their setups.

I don't know what kind of eye relief the ACOG in the top picture has but its way farther forward than the one in the lower picture and there's no cheek riser. Other than posing for the picture, when actually being used, I'd think he'd have to shove his head way farther forward and his head would be suspended in the air.

The guy in the bottom pic has the ACOG mounted farther back and might be able to get a jaw weld on the improvised cheek riser.

I know it CAN be done, but it would not be ideal at all to mount an ACOG to an M14 platform unless you're talking the M14.CA chassis with a standard profile barrlel, high buttstock adapter and a LSP (Long Sight Plane) hand guard rail. This setup mimics the M16/AR-15 ergonomics.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Yeah I was just providing those for reference, when the M14 was pressed back into service in the GWOT.

Thankfully now most of those soliders have access to more ergonomic / optics friendly rifles, but I'm sure there are still some M14s floating around out there.