SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    picked up a hk sp5k and now i want to turn it in to a sbr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

picked up a hk sp5k and now i want to turn it in to a sbr Login/Join 
posted
i hate the look of having a pistol brace on there. it looks stupid and i feel like this gun deserves to be sbr. i do not have a sbr or ever owned one. what do you think of this as my first sbr? worth to to invite the man in to my life and wait 4 years til the stamp comes back?

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want an SBR instead of a pistol, by all means do it. My LGS dealer states the wait is around a year now.

Remove the tin foil hat. Seriously.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should make it an SBR.

No, having "the man in your life" and the wait time for the stamp isn't as onerous as you make it out to be.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, having "the man in your life" and the wait time for the stamp isn't as onerous as you make it out to be.

Yeah, other than paying a tax and waiting, there isn't anyone new in your life.

It's just like any other firearm (unless you purchased a weapon legally FTF) - ie they know you have it but you've given up none of your rights to unlawful search or seizure.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just joking about inviting the man in to my life. I know it’s not that bad.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It was made to be SBR'd!

The hoops are ridiculous ... my C-3 dealer said that they have had photo's rejected because they aren't the "right size" and I had to make an appointment to get my prints done at the sheriff's office which I thought was BS until I got there ... the deputy that did them said it was only to make sure someone was available because they have this scan thing that does them and its much better than the ink-pad which they still can use but don't like to ... still kinda sounds like BS.

Make sure you have 2 copies of everything, pic's and prints!

Hopefully now that the backlog has been worked through we can get approved in a few months instead of a year or in some cases I've heard longer!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
The form one process is not a difficult one. Just go for it. It's less painful in the form for process knowing that you just bought something and you'll get it later, for me 392 days later after the form 3 than the form 4 approval process.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I did the 922r SBR route for my CZ Scorpion. Well worth the effort and time. I would certainly do it for an “MP5.”

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
i hate the look of having a pistol brace on there. it looks stupid and i feel like this gun deserves to be sbr. i do not have a sbr or ever owned one. what do you think of this as my first sbr? worth to to invite the man in to my life and wait 4 years til the stamp comes back?

Dooo eeet!
Or sell it to someone who will Wink That thing deserves to be an SBR.

Edit: I almost forgot: as long as you're going to the trouble of getting photographed and fingerprinted, you should put in for a suppressor for that thing Big Grin

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, you'll have to get written permission from ATF to take it across state lines.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Edit: I almost forgot: as long as you're going to the trouble of getting photographed and fingerprinted, you should put in for a suppressor for that thing Big Grin

Bruce

No 3 lug/threaded barrels on the sp5k. Probably my biggest beef with them...that and no paddle mag release.

I'd still SBR it, maybe get the barrel replaced with a B&T.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely SBR it. All of these pistol variants of SMGs and assault rifles exist only because of our stupid import regs. By SBRing you are bringing it into its appropriate intended configuration.

quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

No 3 lug/threaded barrels on the sp5k. Probably my biggest beef with them...that and no paddle mag release.

I'd still SBR it, maybe get the barrel replaced with a B&T.

HKparts.net has a very slick DIY drop-in HK paddle mag for around $125. It is easy to install and requires no refinishing.

B&T MP5K-N barrel is definitely the way to go if you want to use a suppressor.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Don't forget, you'll have to get written permission from ATF to take it across state lines.

Not a big deal at all. ATF now allows email form-20 submission with pretty amazingly fast approval. In my experience this type of comment is only heard from people who don't own them. Once you own a few and have waded through the process, it's just not that cumbersome. I do wish it did not exist.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2322 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Drew816
posted Hide Post
It's meant to be an SBR, no other reason to own one really. It's a long term adventure, do the SBR crapola now and like suggested you might as well get the suppressor at the same time and save yourself a trip! Then re-barrel it for your suppressor at a later date.

I did the same with an MPX 18 months ago. Bought the weapon, sent in for the SBR stamp which took 6 months and in the meantime chopped the barrel. I already had the 9 mm can so I just threaded the barrel for that setup and I was done. Next up is a BFS3 or Doubletap trigger setup.

Great weapon, one of my all time favorites so enjoy your MP5!

==================================

Posts: 476 | Registered: February 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I like the brace on mine just fine. What I'd like is the vertical grip, but not worth it, especially when it's my travel pistol.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already had an SBR Sig MPX and AR so I decided to keep mine as a pistol. I did put a tailhook brace on it and it works awesome. It may be my favorite gun to shoot.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK makes a beautiful weapon and the pistol caliber firearms are almost every collector's dream.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcinc
posted Hide Post
Just do it!

GeorgiaCarry.org - Life Member

Posts: 143 | Location: Cumming, GA | Registered: September 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pics

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10x Sniper:
Pics

Ya, both BEFORE and after dude!!! Don't tease us here!

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my pics suck. i tried the shockwave blade and the line of sight sucked badly.