SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22 bolt action for Match use that won't break the bank.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 bolt action for Match use that won't break the bank. Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
redlickranch, Please describe the match and the rules.

Haven't shot a match yet, but this is what I know so far. One Wed they shoot standing no rests and shoot at 20 targets consisting of 5 per row of things like turkeys, ram, and other animals. The following week they shoot off bench at a target with small dot in middle. If you hit dot it is an X. That is all I know so far. I went last night just to plink with an AR - 22 and ran into one of the guys shooting a CZ match rifle with a pretty good sized stock. He also had a Bushnell Forge Scope that was amazingly clear at 16X. He said the scope was $750 which I said I had no idea Bushnell made a scope that cost that much. Always found them in the $79.99 to $200 range. I found a few CZ's at KYGunCo that I hope to check out this week. Still working on scope since I can't find a Leupold Rimfire anywhere right now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Option 1
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=137924

Option 2
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=137925

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I had a NIB Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 sitting around that I put on my new 457.

Really nice glass, paid about $80 for it a couple yrs ago, but we know what happened to Nikon. Like a dead rockstar, Nikon scopes are worth more now (looked on ebay and that same scope is fetching $160 now) then when they were still making them. With such demand, seems like a stupid move to have stopped making some very popular optics.

looking at Euro Optic, seems like at that price point Bushnell has a lot of options, as you pointed out.

Did see this Sig Whiskey 3 3-9x40 though for $129 on sale. Dont have a Sig scope yet but have heard some good things.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-...cle-025-M-33202.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
quote:

Haven't shot a match yet, but this is what I know so far. One Wed they shoot standing no rests and shoot at 20 targets consisting of 5 per row of things like turkeys, ram, and other animals. The following week they shoot off bench at a target with small dot in middle. If you hit dot it is an X. That is all I know so far. I went last night just to plink with an AR - 22 and ran into one of the guys shooting a CZ match rifle with a pretty good sized stock. He also had a Bushnell Forge Scope that was amazingly clear at 16X. He said the scope was $750 which I said I had no idea Bushnell made a scope that cost that much. Always found them in the $79.99 to $200 range. I found a few CZ's at KYGunCo that I hope to check out this week. Still working on scope since I can't find a Leupold Rimfire anywhere right now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Option 1

Option 2

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I just left Cabelas and looked at their RimFire branded scope and a Vortex 2x7 and both are blurry after 5 power. Can't find anything else locally.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our range has a match where shooters engage targets from 25 yards out to 225 yards. I've seen many of the .22s listed here at the events try to compete with the CZs and they can't hang very long. The Ruger 10/22s with a match barrel can do alright but by the time you upgrade the barrel, you could have bought a CZ. The Ruger RPRs can have extraction problems. Ruger is aware of the issue but has not addressed it as of yet.

The CZ 452 and 455 are earlier models of the 457. The 457 has several upgrades which, for me, make it a better system over the 452 and 455. The 457 has a better adjustable trigger that works out of the box. It also has a 60 degree bolt throw which helps with operating the bolt and avoiding scope interference. Another benefit is the bolt handle is threaded so you can use aftermarket bolt knobs of your choosing.

The CZ 457 comes a few different models. I'd get a "plain Jane" varmint model ($500) and put a low end Vortex or Athlon scope on it and go have fun. One think to consider is weight. Our matches have shooters who are between 25 and 50 years of age engaging targets from supported and unsupported positions with a round count of 150-200 rounds. If you're shooting completely unsupported and getting long in the tooth, a different barrel contour might be advisable.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Good points. I just turned 51 so I was looking at the Varmint Model to save some weight with unsupported matches. Cabela's had the Ruger target rifles in stock today and I didn't care for the metal stock on them and the action was rough. I'm going to KYGunco on Sat to look at the CZ's. I haven't looked at Athlon scopes, but the low end Rimfire Vortex won't work with targets at only 50 feet.

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
If you want an economy starter that shoots well above the price, savage mark II FV-SR.
I use mine for nrl 22 matches as well as silhouette matches out to 100 meters. Also a group in my area does long range shoots out to 300 yards. The rifle sells for only $250 or so, and I am using an Athlon scope ( Argos 6-24, first focal plane) available on wal mart .com
For around $300. My whole rig ( gun scope mount rings bipod magazines the whole shooting match if you will) cost me under $700. Maybe some day I will find the rifle and optic hold me back, but that is a long time away!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check that out. Thank You. So at 50 feet you can use the 24X setting and it is clear?

quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
If you want an economy starter that shoots well above the price, savage mark II FV-SR.
I use mine for nrl 22 matches as well as silhouette matches out to 100 meters. Also a group in my area does long range shoots out to 300 yards. The rifle sells for only $250 or so, and I am using an Athlon scope ( Argos 6-24, first focal plane) available on wal mart .com
For around $300. My whole rig ( gun scope mount rings bipod magazines the whole shooting match if you will) cost me under $700. Maybe some day I will find the rifle and optic hold me back, but that is a long time away!

NRA Life Member

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Just ordered on of these.

Neos 4-12×40 BDC 22 Rimfire

NRA Life Member

Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
Bergara B-14R have really peaked my interest in that price range.

This. People who still say "Tikka" or "CZ" (for the under $1,000 category) have not been keeping up with the times. Bergara B14R is the new king in that price range, and in addition to being a tack driver, it allows a lot more flexibility for future upgrades, as well as the ability to make a rimfire clone of a centerfire PRS rifle, like a Vudoo or RimX but at 1/3 the price.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Option 1

Option 2

No offense intended, but that sounds kinda boring. Try to find a PRS .22 match, and if you don't have one of those nearby, NRL .22.

Bushnell actually has had some higher end scopes for a while now, some with MSRP of over $2k. The XRS and DMR series actually have very good glass for their price, as well as a lifetime warranty. Those two lines are made in Japan.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
One Wed they shoot standing no rests and shoot at 20 targets consisting of 5 per row of things like turkeys, ram, and other animals.

That seems like the traditional rimfire metallic silhouette course* and with all the shooting being offhand, it’s anything but boring—unless, of course, missing is boring. Wink

I won the new shooter division of the first centerfire match I shot in the early 1970s with a Ruger 77 in 270 Winchester and fixed 6× Lyman scope by scoring 14 hits on 40 targets. Of course, that was in the early days of the sport when practically everyone used actual hunting rifles.

All the best; they sound like fun. Let us know how you do.

Added: FWIW, rifles with heavy barrels are usually preferred for “positional” shooting like unsupported offhand because their greater inertia helps dampen small movements when trying to hold the gun steady. My ancient Winchester model 52 that I used for three position shooting long ago weighs nearly 12 pounds (with Redfield 3200 scope) and has a barrel measuring nearly 28 inches long × 7/8 inch at the muzzle. Not suggesting that that’s what you want, but it’s the reason for such guns.

* Half of it, anyway; I believe formal matches require a minimum of 40 shots.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
You could also try IHMSA small bore division.
40 targets, 4 ranges, out to 100 meters.
With a handgun.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Is see if you could find an old Mossberg 42 or the like. Baby enough barrel, plenty accurate enough, but won't kill the bank.

My 42b shoots better than I do, but keeps up with the 1000 dollar CZ guns that I've seen at my range.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll have to check that out. Thank You. So at 50 feet you can use the 24X setting and it is clear?

Mine generally lives around 12-14x I don’t in my circumstances the need to use 24x at all

quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once had a Savage Mark II that shot pretty well.

The big thing about 22s is the ammo. Serious competition shooters buy test lots to see what their rifle likes. Then they buy all they can if they find a killer lot number.

Eley match and above or Lapua Center X are what I see most at matches that are using custom built 22 benchrest rifles.

I am sure a good ammo matched to what ever rifle you buy will go a long way on the ultimate performance.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I set up a 22-target rig to try NRL22:
CZ-457 AT-ONE 24-inch
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-at-one/

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-25X50 FFP
https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...ml?vortex_reticle=22

Spooky accurate

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This combo would get you started for the price of the Bergara alone. I have a 455 LUX that's accurate enough, but if I ever decide to upgrade the barrel it's a 10\22 style system. Not knocking the B14s, which is a great choice if you want a 700 clone for any number of reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
I set up a 22-target rig to try NRL22:
CZ-457 AT-ONE 24-inch
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-at-one/

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-25X50 FFP
https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...ml?vortex_reticle=22

Spooky accurate

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
One Wed they shoot standing no rests and shoot at 20 targets consisting of 5 per row of things like turkeys, ram, and other animals.

That seems like the traditional rimfire metallic silhouette course* and with all the shooting being offhand, it’s anything but boring—unless, of course, missing is boring. Wink

I won the new shooter division of the first centerfire match I shot in the early 1970s with a Ruger 77 in 270 Winchester and fixed 6× Lyman scope by scoring 14 hits on 40 targets. Of course, that was in the early days of the sport when practically everyone used actual hunting rifles.

All the best; they sound like fun. Let us know how you do.

Added: FWIW, rifles with heavy barrels are usually preferred for “positional” shooting like unsupported offhand because their greater inertia helps dampen small movements when trying to hold the gun steady. My ancient Winchester model 52 that I used for three position shooting long ago weighs nearly 12 pounds (with Redfield 3200 scope) and has a barrel measuring nearly 28 inches long × 7/8 inch at the muzzle. Not suggesting that that’s what you want, but it’s the reason for such guns.

* Half of it, anyway; I believe formal matches require a minimum of 40 shots.

I tried a Win 52 and a Rem 37 offhand without a palm rest once, with my Unertl 16x on it,

I cannot hold those big guns hard enough (need to get in better shape, or use a palm rest,,,)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ special trainer that I have done some trigger work (spring kit) and a poor mans bedding job on and it eats up some 50m dot torture....if am on that day.

As several have said ammo is really important, once I picked up a case of Eley target my groups really shrank.

The only thing I dislike about the CZ trainer is the irons limit scope size unless I used X tall rings.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Okay, I thought I had this figured out. I picked up a Ruger 77/22 bolt gun with crappy scope. My new scope showed up today and it works great at 25 feet, but not on the rifle. Really Clear at 25 feet and using 12x power. I go to mount the scope on the Ruger and the action won't work. The bolt is hitting the scope. (See Photos) I guess I could go with higher rings, but the scope has a pretty large eye piece so I may be back to square one.

So I may still go look at a CZ tomorrow since they have a 60 degree bolt and take the scope with me to make sure. I know these matches may be dumb, but the club is 15 min away and it is a good way to get out of the house. CZ guys do you think this scope will work on a CZ with 60 degree bolt?

Thanks.

NRA Life Member