SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22 bolt action for Match use that won't break the bank.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 bolt action for Match use that won't break the bank. Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
I just joined a local club that holds matches on Wednesday nights. No prize money or anything so it's not that serious. Most of the guys are shooting CZ bolt guns. In the market for a new toy and wanted to see what bolt guns anyone would recommend? Looking at spending under $1,000.

The range is only 50 feet so I don't need anything for long range.

Thank You

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The guys here shoot a buncha different guns, but it’s long distance stuff.

But all of the guys in the top ten are using subsonic match ammo. Seems counterintuitive but they are hitting steel plates at 200 yards in and across a difficult field, different positions....can’t remember what it’s called but it’s like PTR but with a .22

Those CZ rifles are pretty sexy.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Timely.

Mike, it’s probably NRL 22 matches. https://nrl22.org/about/rules/

They use subsonic ammo to avoid issues transitioning from super-sonic to subsonic.

I’ve been looking myself but the cost of the scope I want has held me back.

At 50’, I think based on my CZ in .17 HMR, a CZ would be plenty.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I like CZ rifles. I have several 452s chambered for .22LR.
For informal matches I think a CZ would be a great choice.
They're accurate, look good and are priced reasonably.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can go wrong with a CZ for anything short of hardcore NRA, NRL, or BR50.

Assuming scopes, be sure you get a scope that will focus and parallax adjust down to 50 feet. Not all will.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Anschutz, Kimber and Cooper make fantastic rimfires but for the dollar I absolutely adore my CZ452’s and I assume that would carry over to the 457’s.

I would pick up one of their more tricked out options and go from there.

The best thing I can say about the CZ .22s is that they don’t feel like a .22 rifle they feel like a REAL RIFLE.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I bought TWO of the new Ruger American Rimfires just for ratting.

I got both the long and threaded short barrel rifles.

With a bipod on the longer of the two, it will daisy the hole.

I also took the trigger apart and stoned all the surfaces, especially the safety.

You can get one set up for match from the factory for under $500.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Walther KKM

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to a NRL match this weekend to watch.
A couple 10/22's but they both had cycling problems.
That ruger precesion rimfire did well. Has a 20 moa rail built in. Think the are in that 500 range give or take.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Bergara B-14R have really peaked my interest in that price range.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
CZ...end of story

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a CZ 457 American a few months ago. It is a beautifully built rifle with an excellent trigger right out of the box with and is very accuate. As noted above it feels like a real rifle, not a budget, entry level afterthought. At less than $475 it was a great value also.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Just bought the same gun this past Saturday!!!

Damn its sweet to hold and look at.

Have a scope mounted that I need to level but dying to take it out and shoot it!!

quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
I bought a CZ 457 American a few months ago. It is a beautifully built rifle with an excellent trigger right out of the box with and is very accuate. As noted above it feels like a real rifle, not a budget, entry level afterthought. At less than $475 it was a great value also.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I don't think you can go wrong with a CZ for anything short of hardcore NRA, NRL, or BR50.

Assuming scopes, be sure you get a scope that will focus and parallax adjust down to 50 feet. Not all will.

I have a Nikon and Leupold that won't get that low and after 5X targets are blurry. Tried to order a Leupold Rimfire today but they are sold out.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
redlickranch, Please describe the match and the rules.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

My daughter did this @ 100 yards with a factory CZ 457 Pro Varmint using Lapua Center X. This model

Anyway, I have mine topped with a Vortex PST 2 5-25x50. We have a family match about once a month and the CZ’s put some some hurt on the Anshultz that my 2 uncles use. I attribute it more to the better eyes of us younger guys but that should give you an idea of the quality that you get for bargain basement prices

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My CZ shoots like a laser .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
5 shot group at 100yrds with my CZ 452 .17 hmr
amazing rifles

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my CZ’s cannot do that. They are completely not up to the task of shooting like that. The tool is completely the weak link. Has absolutely nothing to do with my shooting skill. No sir absolutely the tool......ok truth be told the tool behind the rifle. Wink

That’s a helluva nice group. Nice shooting.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
cz's are great. I'd also take a look at the Tika
T1X. Ammo plays a big role as well.

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post