SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FN SCAR 16 Magazine Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN SCAR 16 Magazine Question Login/Join 
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted
Does the SCAR 16 accept standard 5.56/.223 Magpul magazines?

Thanks!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Lancers, GI, Emags...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:

Thanks!

Yes and No. Magpul magazines have a web on the back that can cause excess wear on the bolt hold open. Takes 10 seconds with an X-Acto Knife to fix. Do a little web search and you can probably find a video on how to fix them.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SCAR we had as a rental didn't like PMags. Ran fine with aluminum mags though.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gen 2/MOE Pmags has the most problem due to the follower cutout at the rear of the mag. I think the Gen 3s fixed that for the SCAR. I normally just run Lancer AWMs. USGI metal mags are GTG too.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to check anything that isn't a GI metal mag. There is no Magpul generation that is immune. The Lancers can have the issue as well on occasion. Its easy to check and easy to fix. Other than that issue I've never had any actual problems with the gun feeding from a magpul, though normally like Dwill104 I run the lancers.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
You have to check anything that isn't a GI metal mag. There is no Magpul generation that is immune. The Lancers can have the issue as well on occasion. Its easy to check and easy to fix. Other than that issue I've never had any actual problems with the gun feeding from a magpul, though normally like Dwill104 I run the lancers.

I have modified Gen1 and run Gen3 Pmags without issue.

hrcjon, what issues with Gen3 mags have you had ?

Taken from the Magpul website:

Product Details
The next-generation PMAG 30 GEN M3 is a 30-round 5.56x45 NATO (.223 Remington) polymer magazine for AR15/M4 compatible weapons. Along with expanded feature set and compatibility, the GEN M3 incorporates new material technology and manufacturing processes for enhanced strength, durability, and reliability to exceed rigorous military performance specifications.

While the GEN M3 is optimized for Colt-spec AR15/M4 platforms, modified internal and external geometry also permits operation with a range of additional weapons such as the HK® 416/MR556A1/M27 IAR, British SA-80, FN® SCAR™ MK 16/16S, and others.

Similar to the MOE PMAG, the GEN M3 features a long-life USGI-spec stainless steel spring, four-way anti-tilt follower and constant-curve internal geometry for reliable feeding, and simple tool-less disassembly to ease cleaning.

In addition, a redesigned bolt catch notch in the rear of the magazine provides increased bolt catch clearance, while an over-travel stop on the spine helps ensure the magazine will not over-insert on compatible weapons. Low profile ribs and new aggressive front and rear texture gives positive control of the GEN M3 in all environments, and a paint pen dot matrix has been added to the bottom panel of the body to allow easy marking by the end user for identification. The new, easy to disassemble flared floorplate aids extraction and handling of the magazine while providing improved drop protection, but is slightly slimmer than before for better compatibility with tight double and triple magazine pouches. An included pop-off Impact/Dust Cover can optionally be used to minimize debris intrusion and protect against potential damage to the top cartridge during storage and transit.

Made in U.S.A.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks!

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 pmags work fine with no mods, they are my preferred mags.
GI aluminum (D&H or Surefeed are awesome) is a close second.

Gen 1,2 and E-mags require a squaring of the left side of the square notch on the back top of the mag as to not interfere with the bolt catch.

Lancers work ok.

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The SCAR 16 was built around STANG spec magazines, which original PMAGs didn’t meet with the rounded rear of the magazines.

M3s are supposed to be good to go, and older Mags only took 3-4 swipes of a pocket knife to modify.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chino101:
quote:

Thanks!

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nu75yYtRkbg?start=65" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

More power to him. Almost all of the compatibility problems were solved with the M3 mags (the mags in the video are not M3s). The FS2000 is a unique case because it has such a deep magwell that almost nothing works except for the USGI mags it was specifically designed for. About the only other gun with a Pmag problem is the ARX-100, which worked with older generations, but not the M3 mags because Magpul added the overtravel stop (to fix a problem that almost no one actually had).

I’ve found the Lancer AWMs to be the most compatible polymer mags out there, and prefer them over Magpuls, personally.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have a few of the ETS mags that won't drop free from my SCAR 16. I tried several and have to forcibly remove them. Other than that Lancers and USGI mags work fine for me.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
hrcjon, what issues with Gen3 mags have you had ?

I was excited when magpul announced the M3 with a fix for both issues on SCAR's (of course I was a bit skeptical). So I ordered a bunch as overall magpul's are substantially less pricey than the lancers in general. But sadly some of them still pushed on the catch. Easy enough to fix, but I still check every mag as its so easy to do.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually use Lancer mags with my SCAR. Magpul Gen2 work fine after being modified slightly. I’ve had no issues with Gen3.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I've ran the latest generation PMAG in both the SCAR and HK416. Zero issues whatsoever.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I filed some mags to work in the SCAR, but I only use those at the range with other AR's. I use Lancers mostly now, as I prefer 20rd mags.

Not sure if PMAG even has a gen 3 20 rd mag.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
Not sure if PMAG even has a gen 3 20 rd mag.
They do - 10/20/30/40rd M3s.

https://www.magpul.com/firearm...es/pmags/ar15-m4-m16

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I had to modified most of my Pmag Gen2 mags when I first got my SCAR, I have not had to modify any Gen3s or D&H/alum mags.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post