SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR 20S and optics advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR 20S and optics advice Login/Join 
posted
We currently have a SCAR 20S in the shop and a customer who's looking REAL hard at it. He wants some advice on choosing a proper optic. Since I can order them I've got all sorts of ideas mostly centered on Nightforce options. But then I recalled stumbling across somewhere on the web a smattering of rather negative comments regarding experiences and observations when it came to optics survivability on the 17S, some of which involving Nightforce scopes. Since the 20 is closely related to 17S, is this a thing that a budding SCAR .308 owner needs to be concerned about? Or was this just a 17S problem? Or was it even a problem at all?

If Nightforce is out, other scopes we have direct manufacturer access to are Kahles, Swaro, Trijicon, Leupold and, if I absolutely have to, Vortex. S&B is also possible, though I may have to convince a certain boss who signs all the checks on reopening that route. Zeiss is another we don't buy much of, but we still have an active account with.

Personally I'm not anything close to being a Vortex fan; there's a reason why they have such a great warranty...and I'll leave it at that. I've taken advantage of it on a couple of occasions already...and promptly moved on shortly thereafter. I will grudgingly admit that there are some scopes in their current Razor lineup that have superb glass. As for the rest, I've developed my own preferences but since I'm still a relative newbie with only a few short years of distance experience I'm more than open to recommendations.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you read that about Nightforce, their scopes are good to go on the 17S and 20S. Several thousand rounds through my 17S with a NF 2.5-10x42 on top.

Depending on his desired target range, I think the NF ATACR 4-16x50 or 5-25x56 would be great choices for the 20S.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sniper's Hide was one place where it was reported. Various FN forums have said the same as well. I just did some more Google-fi research and it appears that having the RIGHT mount (whatever that means, which at the moment I'm not sure of) plays a big role in keeping the 17S's recoil pulse from tearing an optic to bits, regardless of the brand of optic that's put on the gun. More Googling needed...

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Got any links to these "smattering of reports" about NF not standing up on SCAR 17/20s?

My NF NXS 2.5-10x24 was fine on my SCAR 17, about 750 rounds of use on that rifle. No issues. That NXS is currently on a AR-15 now and I'm abusing a PST 1-6x24 on the SCAR, no problems but only a couple hundred with it on there.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are reports of SCAR 17s eating optics -- from inexpensive to expensive models. It seems to be hard to sort through what works and doesn't. I suspect it's a combination of recoil characteristics and receiver flex. Again...suspect. The SCAR 20 should have a little beefier receiver, thereby reducing flex.

I suspect that using a quality one-piece scope mount reduces flexing forces on the scope. Pick your favorite manufacturer and model, but this isn't a place to save pennies. A quality one-piece mount costs a boatload less than a quality scope.

I have a pretty good selection of Nightforce scopes on my rifles. Rifles include semi-autos and bolt actions, in various calibers. NF scopes have worked flawlessly over the years for me, including instances of pretty rough treatment. IMO the primary issues with NF have included:
- Fairly high retail prices.
- Not the brightest or clearest glass in older models. This has been addressed with the ATACR line.
- Not the best designs for mil-based FFP reticles. NF is working on this, but is slow.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've lots of rounds in the Scar with various NF scopes and had no issues. Most recently with the NF Atacr 1-8 which seems about the perfect optic for the 17 IMO. On my 20S (.308 not 6.5CM) I have a NF 2.5-10 on one and a NF 4-16 on the other. Of course it all depends on how you are going to use the gun, but the Atacr 4-16 seems about perfect for this gun and its potential.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kahles scopes come highly reccomended , but they are said to be made in Austria, if that's a deal breaker

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More important than the brand of optics is the mount. I recommend a SPUHR 1pc mount. It's stiff enough to help. My 17 ate a Swarovski Z6 1-6i in a Larue mount FWIW.

I have SPUHR mounts on all 5 of my SCAR's including a 20s and have had no issues since I switched. IMHO the Razor II's are an excellent choice and tough as hell.

I wouldn't hesitate one second to use a Nightforce , Kahles or best of all Schmidt Bender in a Sphur.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
The ADM Delta mount was designed for the SCAR program to reduce flex that is a known factor in optics with the SCAR. When I had mine I had an ACOG go belly up (wouldn't hold zero). But I think the mount/quality optic concept holds the best practice either way.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am another fan of one piece Spuhr mounts even though I don’t really need their ruggedness.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a wonderful thread here a while ago, that asked the question " what's the deal with optics coming apart on scar rifles"

Or something close to that.

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Whats your experience like on the SCAR 17, bendable?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
There was a wonderful thread here a while ago, that asked the question " what's the deal with optics coming apart on scar rifles"

Or something close to that.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4240060364/p/1

Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
ATACR 4-16 in a Scalarworks mount is the perfect pairing for the 20 IMO.

And can you point me to where folks had Nightforce scopes fail on SCAR 17’s? I’m not the biggest internet gun forum reader, but I’m around and I don’t recall ever reading that a NF was eaten by a 17.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I have a Scar17 with a NF NXS 2.5-10x32 on it.
Zero issues.
I also have a Scar20 with a NF NXS 5.5-22 on it.
Also zero issues.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Whats your experience like on the SCAR 17, bendable?

I have never held one ,shot one or smelled one,
But thanks to those members here that
Have taken the time to share their
Time at the shooting range,
There are more than a few threads here about
The scars, and what to expect,

Then there are numerous threads about after market accessories for the scars .

The facination with these guns on this forum and half a dozen others is almost cult worthy.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The SCAR is no different than any other expensive gun. There are those who think they are far superior to lower cost guns and there are those who think they are grossly over priced and not worth it...and both sides are correct to a degree.

This creates “fanboys” and “haters” that really get lost in the emotion of it all. The SCAR is a damn fine gun. It’s best selling point in .308 is its power to weight ratio while maintaining decent accuracy. In both .308 and 5.56 it is an extremely reliable weapon with well documented high round counts with very minimum parts replacement. Are those main benefits worth $3k? You have to buy one and play with it to know for sure.

I don’t think it’s a cult, it’s just fanboys on haters on the extreme ends and most folks in the middle. The introduction of the CZ Bren 2 will make both sides more dug in. Especially when the .308 version hits the civilian market. I tend to like the Bren 2 more in 5.56, but I can’t speak to the .308 yet (looks promising though).

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what either of the above two posts have to do with a 20s and optics in the OP? But since we don't yet have a Bren2 .308 to discuss, its merits will have to wait for a future date. At least in 5.56 Bren2 has added nothing overall vs. Scar (even if I own a few of both of them). There are lots of great .308 semi's and that's a truly great thing about the current market. Just ask slipperypete.

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I have a Scar 20 with a Nightforce with lots of rounds down range with zero issues.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be interesting to know which NF mounted in what?