SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm AR or 9mm Sub gun for home defense
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm AR or 9mm Sub gun for home defense Login/Join 
Picture of ACTEG
posted
I've always been a shotgun for HD kind of guy, but am thinking I would like the extra capacity associated with a 9mm AR pistol or sbr/Sub gun type platform.

For subgun I was thinking of the MPX or a MP5 clone. My question is, do the subguns listed have any major advantages over a dedicated 9mm AR build? The AR build seems like it would be substantially cheaper than the subgun options and I am already familiar with the AR manual of arms.

Not to get too far off on a tangent, I was also wondering if a 300 BO in a pistol or SBR configuration would be able to serve the purpose of Home Defense as well as longer engagements, say out to 200-300 yards. I don't see myself shooting much further than that. I'm not concerned with the price of ammo.

With any of the options listed, I plan to add a can, if that changes the calculus any when you guys are voting.

Question:
Which subgun platform for HD

Choices:
9mm AR
300 BO AR
MP5 clone
Sig MPX

Posts: 3584 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I have my Colt 'Law Enforcement Only' model 6450 next to my bed right now. If it was good enough for a cop, it's good enough for me.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I voted MP5 clone only because everyone who I have ever talked to who owned both, either an MP5 vs. 9mm AR or vs. an MPX. They all preferred the MP5.

I would like a 9mm AR for a range toy, especially suppressed.

Since I already have a 5.56 silencer and an 11.5 pistol and 16 rifle hosts for it, I chose to stick with the superior ballistics of a rifle for HD.

Not that a 9mm carbine is anything to sneeze at.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have all four things you listed (The MP5 is owned by the city but assigned to me, but I won't use it for HD, but it's fun!)

I'm not comfortable with the MPX yet running 100% so I've been using my 9mm AR SBR (suppressed) for home use. It's shorter and lighter than my 300blk SBR (suppressed). My MPX has a 4.5" barrel and folding stock so it would be better at house work but I'm still working on finding the best ammo load for it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why no mention of the CZ Scorpion pistol with brace? It seems ideal with no BATF.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
I've always been a shotgun for HD kind of guy, but am thinking I would like the extra capacity associated with a 9mm AR pistol or sbr/Sub gun type platform. AR-9, Takes some decent tuning to get it to run reliable, I've built several over the years. To me it's still a range toy at best.

For subgun I was thinking of the MPX or a MP5 clone. My question is, do the subguns listed have any major advantages over a dedicated 9mm AR build? The AR build seems like it would be substantially cheaper than the subgun options and I am already familiar with the AR manual of arms. Would take a hard look at the CZ Scorpion, mags are $20 a pop vs. $70-80. And built like a tank!

Not to get too far off on a tangent, I was also wondering if a 300 BO in a pistol or SBR configuration would be able to serve the purpose of Home Defense as well as longer engagements, say out to 200-300 yards. I don't see myself shooting much further than that. I'm not concerned with the price of ammo.Sure it can, 110 to 147gr for that further reach and 187gr and up for that quite, I got you suck!

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am setting up a cz scorpion for HD.

I want to sbr it and get a suppressor.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realize 9mm ARs weren't exactly "reliable". The cz wasn't on my radar but I'll check it out.

Regarding sbr vs pistol route. I would go pistol if I could be as effective with a brace vice a stock. I haven't tried anything with a brace yet, so was leaning toward sbr.

Posts: 3584 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not even a question, pistol braced Scorpion all day. Built like a tank, cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, proven.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd do Scorpion as well if you are stuck on a 9mm.

Though, a 5.56 AR with a permed 14.5" barrel will be shorter and lighter than the shotgun with way better terminal ballistics than a handgun round and less penetration (through walls) than either. Or SBR it. 300 BLK would also be a good choice with the lighter supersonic loads.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Cobra21 has a MPX SBR that is a pretty sweet setup. No issues with that I know of.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG:
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't realize 9mm ARs weren't exactly "reliable". The cz wasn't on my radar but I'll check it out.

Regarding sbr vs pistol route. I would go pistol if I could be as effective with a brace vice a stock. I haven't tried anything with a brace yet, so was leaning toward sbr.

I did not either mine runs like a champ.
If you are using well known parts I would take no issue.
My 9mm AR SBR has been nothing but reliable and took no tweaking at all. It is also nothing fancy just a plain Jane gun with quality parts.

Only thing I would do different is a pistol brace and not waste the time with the SBR stuff.
Specifically the SB Tactical PDW brace

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Does the roller locked 9MM design have an awesomely superior historical advantage in decades of dependability, real-worldwide use, and sheer "Chuztpah" over any other design currently marketed, especially over AR's?

No need to answer, that's a rhetorical question. Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another satisfied 9MM AR owner / operator here. 1500+ rounds with 1 malfunction, caused by me not seating the magazine correctly the first time I shot it. Aside from that, flawless.

Scorpion I have is also in that category, but only with a measly 500-ish rounds through it.

For HD or going heavier out and about, the CZ Scorpion pistol is hard to beat for it's legality as a pistol yet you gain 10-15 more rounds over a traditional pistol.

But honesty, for HD I have to grab a rifle several times a year for wildlife, so it's one of two - a 11.5" SBR AR 15 with suppressor or 16" AR-15, both 5.56.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built a 9mm AR a couple of years ago and it has been very reliable. It's a great range toy and with a 30 rd mag should be ample for a defense weapon. I added a forward grip with light and laser. It is my primary HD weapon.
Added benefit- I have a 14 1/2" barrel w/pinned flash hider and it is not bad to fire without ear protection. Any pistol or SBR configuration is going to be LOUD.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Colt 9mm AR SMG has been and is a completely proven platform for many, many years used by all kinds of serious kick in the door people. The semi version of it (current 6951) is just as reliable. The level of that may actually be more than a 5.56 rifle since the operating mode is simpler. But in any case I have had no issues personally on Colt 9mm guns.
Personally unless you have some specific reason for avoiding it I'm using 5.56 for HD. There really is no possible reason for a pistol caliber rifle.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ Scorpion and have shot it with and without a brace attached. For HD only, based on price point, it is hard to beat. Completely reliable and very easy to customize affordably.
That said... I also have a 9mm AR pistol. The Scorpion is my trunk gun. The 9mm AR is part of my EDC.
I find the AR quicker on target, lighter etc. But for EDC I should convert to 300, except that my AR is magazine compatible with Glocks.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I would not discount the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 (if you can find one). I only know a handful of owners, but all have reported their guns to be reliable, and more than accurate enough for HD ranges.

Another option, especially if you're in a political climate where cops, prosecutors, and potential jurors might be biased against the "evil black rifles," is a lever action rifle. A 16" barrel 1892 puts you at 34" OAL, and a 18" 1894 puts you at 36" OAL. In . 38/.357 you would have 9 shots in the tube (16" barrel), or more with a longer barrel. Unless you go with one of the Henry examples, you can also " combat load" through the side gate, if necessary. It's a gun that's very capable, but looks less "aggressive" than some of the more "modern" options.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
an only say that between my BCM upper/ spikes lower 5.56 pistol and my MPX, I would choose the MPX for HD.

Quicker 2nd shot because of almost zero recoil, at household distances it is a lethal option, and the boolets are less likely to make themselves into my neighbors home.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like my Beretta CX-4 'Storm' for what you're describing, it's in 40.

It's short, handy, & lightweight. I have some trigger mods & such.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post