SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm AR or 9mm Sub gun for home defense
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm AR or 9mm Sub gun for home defense Login/Join 
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
My Scorpion has run flawlessly and I would trust it for HD with the right ammo.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also suggest the Scorpion, but I question the benefit of such a weapon for home defense when a shotgun or rifle is otherwise an option. There should be zero debate that the other two are ballistically far superior. Given that, the benefit to 9mm, or any other handgun cartridge would be the sheer portability of a handgun.

I'm a Scorpion and Zenith Z5P owner, but I recognize their primary role is as range toys.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. A little more research and I've learned that a pistol caliber rifle isn't really the best option for a rifle sized platform. It sounds like a pistol AR might be a better fit for what I am looking for.

Posts: 3584 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm the odd man out in this.
I built two 300BO pistols for HD & RV Traveling protection.
Along with a 16" .300BO for an upcoming Hog hunt.
I like the performance of the 300 out of a short barrel vs the 5.56
But I still have plans for a 9mm AR pistol.
I just don't know what I'll use it for other than fun at the range.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys with the Colt 9mm's have any appreciable amout of hollow points through them? I have a Colt 6951 and it has been perfect with ball ammo. Every now and again it crosses my mind to use it in the HD role but I have no idea how it would do with defensive ammo. It's just a brief thought as I don't think it will replace my 6720 but I am curious. Thanks.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what's an appreciable amount to you. But I've a couple of thousand rounds of Federal HP ammo without any issues through a stock 6951.
I've never had any issues in this gun for 20K rounds so I trust it. But of course I'm not using it for HD as running a 5.56 gun has so many advantages and no downside, but YMMV.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I have an mp5k clone ready but when we sleep the safe stays cracked and the options are mini 14, ak pistol, 300blk pistol, or 12ga.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put your self on the other side of the equation, the last thing you would want to face in close quarters is a scared homeowner armed holding a 12 ga shotgun loaded with 00buck.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I have a factory built CMMG 9mm AR SBR that has been flawless, even supressed. Uses Colt stick mags. YMMV.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
This thread kind of took a turn, now that I am a little better educated about the pros/cons (in terms of SD) of a 9mm "rifle" platform. That being said, I've decided to build a 5.56 AR pistol. The SB tactical PDW that Black mentioned looks like the ticket as far as the brace/stock goes. I'll likely go with a cheap lower (Anderson, tactical machining, PSA, etc), a BCM lower parts kit with the enhanced trigger, toolcraft BCG, and a Raptor charging handle. For the upper I am thinking of getting a 12.5" BCM upper or a DD 10.5" MK18 upper. While the intent of the "rifle/pistol" will be HD, I would like it to also be effective out to a couple hundred yards. What would you guys recommend in terms of shortest barrel length while maintaining reliability and effectiveness out to 200 yards.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3584 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG:
This thread kind of took a turn, now that I am a little better educated about the pros/cons (in terms of SD) of a 9mm "rifle" platform. That being said, I've decided to build a 5.56 AR pistol. The SB tactical PDW that Black mentioned looks like the ticket as far as the brace/stock goes. I'll likely go with a cheap lower (Anderson, tactical machining, PSA, etc), a BCM lower parts kit with the enhanced trigger, toolcraft BCG, and a Raptor charging handle. For the upper I am thinking of getting a 12.5" BCM upper or a DD 10.5" MK18 upper. While the intent of the "rifle/pistol" will be HD, I would like it to also be effective out to a couple hundred yards. What would you guys recommend in terms of shortest barrel length while maintaining reliability and effectiveness out to 200 yards.

Thanks in advance.

14.5"

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10.5" is the shortest I would go for reliability...it can certainly hit just fine at 200.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about a 9mm pistol set up as well and am interested in the PAK-9,based on an Ak-47 platform. With an arm brace,it looks like a great little home defense weapon.

With the ar-15 pistol,like others have said don't go under 10.5 or 11" as there have been some problems with them.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I have been thinking about a 9mm pistol set up as well and am interested in the PAK-9,based on an Ak-47 platform. With an arm brace,it looks like a great little home defense weapon.

With the ar-15 pistol,like others have said don't go under 10.5 or 11" as there have been some problems with them.

I believe it's only 223 pistol barrel lengths that have potential issues, not 9mm. My CMMG 9mm SBR has an 8.5" barrel and I've had no functional issues even suppressed. Not sure about an AK platform in 9mm.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got all except the MPX and I haven't had any problems with any of them ...

I put my AR together from a de-milled Colt SMG, not a reverse engineered anything or pieced together kit; not that I didn't look at those options when I was putting mine together. This came with everything except the receiver. It's a proven system and never given me a minute worth of grief. It has the right bolt, buffer, block and mags ... I may replace the barrel at some point but no more than I shoot it probably not.

300BO is a great round and I really like it, I typically shoot 147's in it, in both sub & super
sonic ... I reload so it's cost is negligible but if you have to buy your rounds it can get pricy ... I guess.

My MP5 clones are all 100% but I only use HK mags, the one exception is the 9mm Beta-Mag
The first was a Coharie Arms CA89 I bought used, the previous owner had already replaced the bolt head and carrier with HK parts, it's ran perfectly ever since I got it in both semi and full auto (I have a registered sear)
Then early this year I bought a barreled receiver Omega MP5 SD, it came with a F/A carrier, all parts were sourced from HKParts.net, and they only carries good stuff. Mine was perfect right out of the box but some early owners had a few issues with the suppressor cage not being straight. From what was posted in the forums at HK Pro, they were taken care of immiedently at the manufacturers expense.
That experiance and reading of others good reports inspired me also buy their MP5K ... It, like the others has also ran perfectly, semi & full auto, even suppressed.

Lastly, many have recommended the Scorpion EVO ... and the praise it's gotten is well deserved. If I didn't have the registered sear, I would have sold my HK clones long ago. The Scorpion is lighter, handles Better, has a better trigger, easier to mount optic's on and there's a ton of aftermarket support for it ... It even gives you the satisfaction of the HK slap.

For what it's worth, a 12ga is a force I wouldn't want to face ... and a pump with a full length tube gives you plenty of stopping power.
For decades it's been the #1 choice for home defense for a good reason!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Stag 9 in 9mm and it hasn't hiccupped yet. It can be had for under $900 and the magazines for $20. Mine has the Diamondhead furniture which is nice. It is available with Magpul stuff as well. I've heard people say that the 9mm ARs kick too much because of the heavy bolt and blowback design. That has not been my experience. Mine is a tack driver and is easy on my shitty shoulder.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I prefer a scattergun with extended mag tube myself and a pistol as a secondary...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My home made PSA 9mm AR uses Colt mags and I have had no issues running JHP through it. It's only got a 4" barrel and is always ran suppressed.

The barrel was bought from ADCO. The rest of the parts are PSA and Magpul.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I wish Quarter Circle 10 would make a turnkey AR in .357Sig, now that would be an HD animal!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently read an article on The Firearms Blog about a forthcoming B&T product called the GHM9. The article indicates the MSRP will be around $1300 so it might be an attractive option for home defense.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post