SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best Military Grade 5.56 head space gauge to buy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Military Grade 5.56 head space gauge to buy Login/Join 
posted
I was unable to locate a prior discussion I saw on which gauge is the best to buy no-go type which did not require bolt dis-assembly for 5.56 bolts. Any opinions, Brownells/Midway.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Maybe one exists, but I'm not familiar with any headspace gauges that let you close on a complete bolt. I'd be interested if such a thing exists, but I think you'll be going after a gauge with a grinding wheel if you want to close a bolt with the ejector and extractor.

If you only want to buy one, it's the field reject. the go and no-go guages will depend on what your chamber actually is. But saami or nato, field reject is bad.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The official gauge (M16 Maximum Headspace Gage, Ordnance Part Number 7799734, NSN 4933-00-070-7814) has a cut to make it usable on a complete bolt. I have not seen one for sale is quite some time. I personally just mill the commercial gauges (a project any good machinist can do for you in about a minute, I do it on a small home mill) so you don't have to disassemble the bolt.
Not that disassembling the bolt is a big project, it just irritates me. i have written to all the normal gauge suppliers saying there is a market for a real clone of the official gauge but obviously they don't think so.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The official gauge (M16 Maximum Headspace Gage, Ordnance Part Number 7799734, NSN 4933-00-070-7814) has a cut to make it usable on a complete bolt. I have not seen one for sale is quite some time. I personally just mill the commercial gauges (a project any good machinist can do for you in about a minute, I do it on a small home mill) so you don't have to disassemble the bolt.
Not that disassembling the bolt is a big project, it just irritates me. i have written to all the normal gauge suppliers saying there is a market for a real clone of the official gauge but obviously they don't think so.

this, and the USGI 7.62 and 30.06 gauges are cut as well,

may try ebay,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
here you go

eBay item number:

not my auction or endorsement, but an example of what is being discussed

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post