SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt M4A1 SOCOM fans...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt M4A1 SOCOM fans... Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted
I just wanted to take a few minutes to share a recent purchase. I found a Colt LE6920SOCOM over at Bud's for $1219.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...0/products_id/82398#

Initially, going by the photo they posted I wasn't overly interested. On their website, they show a photo of a 6920 with a 16" barrel and a Troy rail. Also, that's how it's listed in their product description. So, like I said not overly interested.

Then, I read the reviews. These things have a true 14.5" SOCOM heavy barrel with an extended & permanently attached flash hider. Instead of the Troy rail listed on the website, they have a KAC rail, KAC rail covers and vertical grip with the accessory roll. They have the side mounted front sling swivel and MaTec rear sight as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo server, but there is a post over on ARF:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2...-2017-Revision-.html

I was really pleased. I heard people talk about there being like 200 of these in this configuration. I don't know but it sure makes for a nice carbine for the Colt fan.

I'm NOT affiliated with Bud's or anything. Just wanted to share this info. if anyone might be interested.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Very cool, I bought one of the 2012 releases when they first came out and were talked about in American Rifleman. Mississippi Gal helped me out there.

My M4A1 came with a 16" SOCOM profile barrel + the KAC goodies. Not long after as I can put together they changed to Troy.

I guess FN's Collector success pushed Colt to finally make this step.

Belgian does your M4A1 have two flats milled out in the heaviest area of the barrel under the handguard? My 16" model did not include that. I bet yours does.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Yes, I peeked through the ventilation holes in the rail and I could see the flats milled in the barrel. Considering it and the FN version normally go for $1600, I thought it was a great value at $1219. So far, it's my favorite Colt AR.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Yes, I peeked through the ventilation holes in the rail and I could see the flats milled in the barrel. Considering it and the FN version normally go for $1600, I thought it was a great value at $1219. So far, it's my favorite Colt AR.

That is the real deal then!!

Extremely cool!

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The extended flash hider they used is pretty weird looking. Reading that thread it says it brings the barrel to 17.1 and has a 5/8x24 insert

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I hadn't already built my own clone of this (and have enough parts stashed to build another), I'd be jumping on one of these, but I have enough ARs as it is. Still, it's cool to see this version with what appears to be mostly USGI-spec parts.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Eagerly awaiting Vet's Day/Black Friday sales. Hoping to snag one of these.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Nice. I just purchased the Upper alone from G&R and it was $750 without the RAS and BUIS. So that's a deal.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a 14.5 upper from BCM last year. It has the flats on the barrel. Somebody told me they get them from FN. Don't know if that is true or not.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
Bought a 14.5 upper from BCM last year. It has the flats on the barrel. Somebody told me they get them from FN. Don't know if that is true or not.

I've heard a lot of speculation over the years as to the source of BCM barrels. Unfortunately, I've never seen a real credible source confirm their origin. I would not be surprised if they used multiple vendors depending on the barrel configuration (CHF, Stainless Steel, Match, etc.)

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would surprise me if BCM used someone like Green Mountain. I equate them to somebody like Mossberg who has produced barrels, in quantity, to anybody willing to write them a check. I would think Bravo would insist on superior QC and and consistent product, often probably not supplied by a mass producer.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no inside knowledge, but being local to BCM, I know they are located about 10 miles from Criterion, which does a lot of OEM contract barrel work. I'd be surprised if they don't take advantage of that for at least some of their barrels, but that's just my ASSumption. There are certainly plenty of other options out there.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two BCM carbines with 14.5" SOCOM barrels on them. Also scratch-built a carbine that I used a new Colt SOCOM 14.5 incher on. I love the SOCOM profile. The balance is better than a standard M4 barrel, and they don't start to shift POI when they heat up.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squid8286:
I have two BCM carbines with 14.5" SOCOM barrels on them. Also scratch-built a carbine that I used a new Colt SOCOM 14.5 incher on. I love the SOCOM profile. The balance is better than a standard M4 barrel, and they don't start to shift POI when they heat up.

Squid,
If you have the time, could describe the POI shift, when do you see it after a couple magazines, during specific drills? I've heard exactly what you are saying from multiple sources, but I've never had the chance to test it myself. I just got my first SOCOM barrel and I probably will not be able to shot it until xmas.

Also, which shots better, the COLT or the BCM?
Thanks
CD

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
It took me a while and I am glad I did, last week I pulled the trigger on one out of Oklahoma from Tin Star Shooting Range On Gun Broker. Picked it up yesterday. In 2018 they started adding “Property of US Govt” to the lower roll mark. This scratched my M4A1 clone itch again and it would not go away till I bought one.

Only thing that could make it more authentic would be to add the Full mark on the selector and not grind down the selector stops. Both of these are on my FN Collector Series M4.

Really well made, no Colt mismatched finishes or factory dings.

Real happy!!

HK Ag

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
It took me a while and I am glad I did, last week I pulled the trigger on one out of Oklahoma from Tin Star Shooting Range On Gun Broker. Picked it up yesterday. In 2018 they started adding “Property of US Govt” to the lower roll mark. This scratched my M4A1 clone itch again and it would not go away till I bought one.

Only thing that could make it more authentic would be to add the Full mark on the selector and not grind down the selector stops. Both of these are on my FN Collector Series M4.

Really well made, no Colt mismatched finishes or factory dings.

Real happy!!

HK Ag

That sounds great! I'm sure you will like it. How does it compare overall to your FN version? I like those as well.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
HK Ag[/QUOTE]

That sounds great! I'm sure you will like it. How does it compare overall to your FN version? I like those as well.[/QUOTE]

Belgian, I have only had a few minutes to look at them together, but I was able to notice that the FN has zero play between the upper and lower, while the Colt has a little, still pretty tight for a Colt.

The Colt front sight is not marked “F” like the FN. I will be sourcing a UID label to add to it for a M4A1 like the FN comes with.

The FN has a medium weight barrel under the hand guard at 14.7” with a regular birdcage. On the Colt it is nice to see the 14.5” M4A1 barrel with M203 flats under the hand guards.

The FN comes with the full KAC RAS and multiple rail covers plus the broom stick handle.

I like the 3 position roll marks on the FN, but I love the “US Property” roll marking on the Colt.

Now maybe one of them would put all the rollmarks together in a future release. “Don’t need, Don’t need!!”

HK Ag

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HK Ag,

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I'll take the "US Property" on the Colt over the wacky 3 position selector marks on the FN. I mean what the heck is "Safe Fire Auto"?

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post