SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Japan's new Type 20 rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japan's new Type 20 rifle Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Howa. If only all those JDSF copies of the P220 would be surplused to the US...

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
Kinda looks like a SCAR-ish stock:
I'm sure it's easy for them to produce as Japan has the market on Airsoft SCARs / ARs. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
Deon optics?
They make March scopes, right?
Very nice glass from all reports.

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
It looks kind of generic, not that it matters if it works it works.

But it did lose the "Japanese" touch that made their previous generation of guns unique and interesting.

Choosing the VP9 (SFP9) is also an interesting choice, not sure if it's fielded by any other military at this point.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Choosing the VP9 (SFP9) is also an interesting choice, not sure if it's fielded by any other military at this point.

The Turkish Army has adopted it as their standard issue handgun too.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
The Type 20 looks just like the new CZ Bren 2 carbine.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
The Type 20 looks just like the new CZ Bren 2 carbine.

Not exactly like it, but fairly similar.

(But then, most any rifle combining a MLOK handguard, short stroke piston, AR-style layout and ergonomics, and SCAR-style "boot" stock are going to look similar.)

Type 20:

CZ Bren 2:

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ke Bo Li:
Deon optics?

You're exactly right. DEON Optical Design Corporation are the designers and makers of the March scopes and these scopes are among the very best in the world. The scope you see at the link of this story is the March-F 1-8X24 "Shorty". It's an FFP design which weighs about a pound and is 8 inches long. It's an outstanding LPVO design. I haven't a clue which reticle they use in for the JSDF but the one I have played with was the FMC-3. You really don't mess with the dials after you have zeroed your scope; the FFP reticle changes aspect when you zoom in and what looks like a dot a 1X becomes a detailed reticle at 5X and more.

At SHOT show 2020, we had a concept scope 1-10X24 FFP design. That is an awesome scope. They already had a 1-10X24 in SFP.

As for SFP vs FFP for an LPVO, I guess that depends on the purpose, but I would think for the JSDF purposes, an FFP is the way to go.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I like the look of it, not counting the VFG.

Add on grenade launcher in case Godzilla.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ke Bo Li:
Deon optics?

Looks a lot like a MarchF 1-8x

https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d8sv24fiml/

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
It looks like a slick setup. Wouldn't mind having a couple laying around .

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I've ever heard of DEON or March optics.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a bad looking rig. I'll be interested to see if they export it. I'd also be interested in seeing a side by side disassembly of the Bren,Type 20 and SCAR.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Not a bad looking rig. I'll be interested to see if they export it. I'd also be interested in seeing a side by side disassembly of the Bren,Type 20 and SCAR.

They will likely not export it. I may be misremembering, but I think it's against their law to export military weapons.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, Howa's already selling bolt actions here and has been for a while. Here's hoping there's a loophole somewhere in Japanese law, or that they pull a "manufacturing completed in the USA" move like Wolf did with the T91 piston uppers from Taiwan.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I think it's against their law to export military weapons.

Still against our law to import them, no? At least for the likes of you and me.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

As far as I know, they don't export military weapons to anybody, not just the little people, but other governments.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Foreign-made semiauto centerfire rifles that are destined for civilian sale have to be imported in "sporting configuration", with prohibitions that mimic the 1994 AWB. At import, it can't have any of the following:

-Ability to accept a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds
-Folding or telescoping stock
-Separate pistol grip
-Ability to accept a bayonet
-Flash suppressor
-Bipod
-Grenade launcher
-Nightsights

But once imported, they can then be modified stateside into "normal" configuration, provided sufficient US-made parts are used to ensure 922r compliance.

Or, they could be imported as parts kits, and then built into complete rifles using US-made barrels, receivers, etc.

This is why foreign companies that are serious about selling rifles like this on the US market end up setting up a US subsidiary with a US production plant.

posted Hide Post
Under Japans Three Principles Policy dating back to 1976 it's illegal to export any military grade firearm to any country including the United States.

So if the firearm was produced for the Military and is currently or was in use with their Self Defense Force then it has to stay within the borders of Japan forever.

You can buy civilian bolt action rifles from Howa no problem since they are not in use with the Military but are intended for civilian sales only.

It's a crying shame too I always wanted a Minebea P9 produced Sig 220 single stacked 9mm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dfens,

Posts: 965 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post