SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Beretta Storm or Ruger 9mm carbine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Storm or Ruger 9mm carbine? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Which 9mm rifle should I go with?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Purpose? And do you have the pistol to match? Is that even a consideration for you?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The storm is several inches shorter.

The Ruger has a much better trigger. The Ruger can be broken down into two pieces. The Ruger will likely come out in caliber conversions, so you can buy .40 or .45ACP barrels and breech faces. The Ruger takes several types of magazines. The Ruger is likely to have massive aftermarket support in 5 years time.

If Ruger were smart, they would introduce Smith & Wesson, Sig, HK, and other mag wells.

I own both and like both. I cant say I really prefer one over the other. I dont really have a use for them other than plinking. I will probably take the Ruger on long drives and add it to my get home bag. Pairs nicely with my Glock 19.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just for range fun really.

I have many mags for both the Beretta and the Ruger since it takes Glock mags.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I like the Beretta CX4.
While mine is in .45acp the package is really compact and versatile.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The Cx4 Storm is accurate and completely reliable in my experience. I like the magazine compatability with the 92/96 or Px4 Storm series as well. While the trigger isn’t great, I don’t find it to be terrible and there is an upgrade option if you want. I’d do the Storm while we see if Ruger got everything right with their new carbine.

Posts: 12435 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't the Ruger just come out? In that case I'd go Storm if I was buying right now. I have one and its totally reliable, usable and fun. But of course I expect any blowback 9mm to be totally reliable. But realistically unless mag compatibility is your goal why isn't an AR in 9mm the best option?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had both. The Storm is pretty nice and handy, but I would go with the Ruger. Very accurate, railed good sights. Oh, and Glock mags. Not much else to say.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Neither.

You want one of these:

KT Sub2000. You can get models that take Beretta or Glock mags. I have one that I use Beretta 30 rounders in and my Dad has a Glock model that uses the 30 round Glock stick mags.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a CZ Scorpion EVO?

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an addict for 9mm rifles. I've got most of them. Expensive ones (MPX), cheap ones, AR ones, scarce ones and lots inbetween. But the one that is the most bang for the buck IMO is the CZ.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ruger uses Glock mags Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK glock mag compatible? If you want mag compatibility great. I fully support that. Not noted in the original post but OK. For the record CZ asks for way less money for their mags than does glock. So if you are buying mags the CZ is a huge winner.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
OK glock mag compatible? If you want mag compatibility great. I fully support that. Not noted in the original post but OK. For the record CZ asks for way less money for their mags than does glock. So if you are buying mags the CZ is a huge winner.

An interesting point, unless you already have Glocks and lots of Glock mags.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of comparables to the CX4 that are not mentioned.

Kriss vector 9,357 sig, 10mm 40sw 45acp
Sig MPX 9mm, 40, 357sig
CZ Scorpion 9mm

I own a Kriss V in 40, and a Sig mpx in 9mm

I love shooting both. The sig mags are far better than the glock mags for loading. Kriss's trigger is a tad lighter, and as crisp as the mpx. Follow up shots are about the same. You can more easily find Kriss gen 2 uppers in the calibers listed than you can sig. Other than that they are a wash.

I have fiddled with the scorpion a fair bit in the stores. It does not feel as solid as either the kriss or the mpx.

There are also several 9mm carbine ar-15 platform guns to choose from. I was quite impressed with this one at the local gun store. again glock mags, Ar15 trigger pack. all in all not a bad set up.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
There are a couple of comparables to the CX4 that are not mentioned.

Kriss vector 9,357 sig, 10mm 40sw 45acp
Sig MPX 9mm, 40, 357sig

MPX in any other caliber than 9mm? Never seen that. Sig put out the fantasy that they were going to offer caliber conversions for the MPX, but I don’t think anyone actually believes they’ll ever be released.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Beretta in 9mm and is great for compatibility with my 92. Recoil is not bad, as is the trigger and accuracy is amazing. Mags are cheap and did I mention you can interchange mags with the 92? They make a great combo.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition I would never use the word comparable for an MPX and the two guns asked about. I have an MPX and its really a favorite of mine. But it is really not an alternative to someone looking at the cx4 or the ruger. The CZ is a bit more money but you get a lot more gun.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
In addition I would never use the word comparable for an MPX and the two guns asked about. I have an MPX and its really a favorite of mine. But it is really not an alternative to someone looking at the cx4 or the ruger. The CZ is a bit more money but you get a lot more gun.

Comparable in the sense that you can get it in carbine length and in 9mm. Other than that they are different beasts. I much more prefer my mpx to keltech, Beretta, high point, just right, or old camp carbines.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post