SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Leupold finally shipped the scope for my 16" 30.06
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold finally shipped the scope for my 16" 30.06 Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Apparently they had some manufacturing flaws to work out, a bad batch for some reason, but no matter. Finally now the only obstacle is finding time to go to the range:

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I feel like german reticles obstruct hold-over shots, but that is a nice one, and I imagine the '06 doesnt require much kentucky windage.

Sweet rifle!

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
ha, I have an ancient Bushnell 2x on my Marlin 44 rem mag. with that reticle. Wink

What is the scope?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is a variant of it with a thick center post and wire thin crosshairs that I would have been happy with, but really the selection and availability of scopes with this reticle or something close are pretty slim. As far as holdover, A target would have to be small to be totally obscured, and considering the magnification, I'll not be shooting this at great enough distance that holdover would mean a lot, if we're talking a living target, and not trying to print a small group on paper.

This little project has been an amusement, something borne out of having excess 30.06 the Garand shouldn't digest. I think what I've got could be a handy hunting rifle, but for the foreseeable future it's just a loud range toy.

I had set out to find an inexpensive short 30.06, something that is a chore today. So, I went with the Ruger American in stainless, so I didn't have to concern myself with refinishing when the barrel was shortened. While the rifle isn't what I'd term expensive, it wasn't cheap.

Next, for the scope, if you want a German #1 or similar, again there aren't many choices. All said and done, scope, rings, rifle, and sling and I'm at $800. Of course I could have gone to a big box and picked up a ~200 rifle that had a garbage scope included, but then I'd have a turd I wasn't interested in keeping once I'd had my fill of using all the heavy 30.06 I have left from the '03.

I look forward to finding out exactly why so many people are opposed to "short" 30.06 rifles, I'm skeptical of any real rationale behind it. It's almost superstition. Ok, it's probably loud, but have you listened at a rifle range? Beyond that, if the express disadvantage is some FPS loss and that you can't shoot "long distance," well, so?

I feel like this is the closest I've gotten to the old timey tradition of buying a surplus rifle, be it an SKS, '03 or other, and just doing what you like because you can. Back in the day, when people were just tripping over them all the time and sweeping them up out of the streets every time it rained.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I like that!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That setup plus this load -
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-partition-box-of-20

Would make a heck of a timber gun for elk, whitetails or black bears.

Handy to carry, all weather, fast target acquisition, and a good heavy deep penetrating bullet to knock the shit out of them and put them down.

I like it. Ideal for up close or lets say you come to a clearing and spot game 200yds on the other side of it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What power sight is that?

As for how loud it would be next to it on a firing line, I’d be interested in a comparison between it and a 22-24 inch 308 with some of the common muzzle brakes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Should have had it threaded and put a loud ass brake on it. Keep it in the car. Bring it out when the range is too crowded for ya! Big Grin

I think that'd be a great woods gun.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mostly shoot Kahles scopes with either a 4A or 7 reticle as that is what I am used to. Many of the Kahles on ebay from Germany (there is a guy who exports to the US from there) are #1 reticles and there are some pretty good deals on those as most folks don't want to buy them. You are the first guy I have seen who does prefer them. Maybe I am missing something. I did notice the sniper who took out Pitt on Fury was looking through one.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What power sight is that?

As for how loud it would be next to it on a firing line, I’d be interested in a comparison between it and a 22-24 inch 308 with some of the common muzzle brakes.

It's a VX-II 1-4x 1" tube.

I do have a 16" Steyr in .308 I could compare it to, but all my guns just have flashhiders, I used to have a JP AR-10T with their brake, it was loud, but not terrible.

quote:
Originally posted by bustabuddy:
Many of the Kahles on ebay from Germany (there is a guy who exports to the US from there)

Ah. Ebay. That's why I didn't find them. I'm not an Ebayer.

quote:
You are the first guy I have seen who does prefer them. Maybe I am missing something. I did notice the sniper who took out Pitt on Fury was looking through one.

They used to be seen more often, decades ago. I'm happy with this scope, but I've use #1's that are more finely lined. I think the trend in how bolt rifles are perceived, and used, is one reason this reticle isn't seen much. While you can certainly get one with more magnification and a bigger objective, people very quickly go to any number of choices of ranging reticles, and things get modern snipery very quickly.

While it does seem like the target would be obscured, I can tell you that homing in on a target with a German #1 is very fast. The spacing between the center and side posts has a rudimentary ranging function, as I understand, but I'd have to look up the details. The German #4 is also a good reticle that people seem not too keen on.

Arc.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did notice the sniper who took out Pitt on Fury was looking through one.

That would be one authentic detail in a movie, something that doesn’t always occur. The first optical sights used by military snipers of most countries tended to be equipped with the reticles favored by hunters before the respective wars. German hunters liked the “German” reticles, so the scopes that ended up in their snipers’ hands often had the same design. The sights themselves also tended to be very primitive and limited by today’s standards.

I haven’t run across much information about the development and evolution of reticles specifically designed for military use, but I believe it wasn’t until the 1960s or so that they began appearing—at least in the US.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I did notice the sniper who took out Pitt on Fury was looking through one.

That would be one authentic detail in a movie, something that doesn’t always occur. The first optical sights used by military snipers of most countries tended to be equipped with the reticles favored by hunters before the respective wars. German hunters liked the “German” reticles, so the scopes that ended up in their snipers’ hands often had the same design. The sights themselves also tended to be very primitive and limited by today’s standards.

I haven’t run across much information about the development and evolution of reticles specifically designed for military use, but I believe it wasn’t until the 1960s or so that they began appearing—at least in the US.

been an while since I looked thru a Warner Swasey type to remember the reticle,

the Winchester/Lyman A5/5A types were all fine crosshair, IIRC,
as well as the 8x Unertl's used prior and during WWII

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm developing an itch for a modern bolt in 8mm, to go with my K98.

Arc.