SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M249S Range Trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M249S Range Trip Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
Took the beefy girl out for the first time earlier today, ran very well with no stoppages or jams. Accuracy is so-so but shooting green tip combined with having an MG barrel I wasn't expecting anything amazing. Entertaining even if only semi auto. I really just wanted one since they were announced being a factory built belt fed. Still waiting on the new style "improved" bipod I ordered so it can be folded properly with the fore grip. The ACGO 3.5x SDO feels right at home. Shot 500 rounds and looking forward to more!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Can you adapt a bump stock to one?

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

It's so heavy theres more or less no recoil, I doubt a bump stock would work very well.

If someone made a binary trigger though we'd be cooking with gas.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even in full auto they are a pussy cat to shoot. Make sure you don’t slam the feed tray cover down unless the bolt is in the rear position or you’ll ding up the track that the bearing on top of the bolt that it rides in. (I don’t know if this being a closed bolt weapon changes that) also don’t trust that “carry handle” it’s more of a carry handle for the barrel while changing barrels, not for the gun itself.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
We're still jealous. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of belts through a 249 in full auto, mostly 5-8 round bursts but a couple of longer strings (prone with the bipod). Very controllable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be fun to take to the range.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happiness is a warm belt-fed!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

It's so heavy theres more or less no recoil, I doubt a bump stock would work very well.

If someone made a binary trigger though we'd be cooking with gas.

Neat!! A binary would make it more betterer.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Brings back memories from when I was packing one around for Uncle Sam.

Mine ran great on blanks and live rounds.. many thousands of rounds over the years. I loved the extra firepower of the SAW and those 100 round 'nut-sacks' were the best - not too bulky or heavy.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow... These dudes went belt fed on us!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
CD how does yours run suppressed? Thinking of picking up a full length barrel for mine.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Damn nice. They were still pretty new when I was in mid 80’s. Didn’t get a lot of time on one compared to the pig and Ma Deuce.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
CD how does yours run suppressed? Thinking of picking up a full length barrel for mine.

I've only put 100rds of M193 through it suppressed, but had zero issues. I'm keeping my eyes open for a low price barrel with an adjustable gas port to chop down to 16.5". I love the Para look and feel, but the surplus Para barrels are <16".

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

This is probably a silly question, but can you reassemble the belt links? Or are you limited to buying preassembled and loaded belts of ammunition?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Awesome!

This is probably a silly question, but can you reassemble the belt links? Or are you limited to buying preassembled and loaded belts of ammunition?

You can re-assemble them, a buddy of mine has a HK23 and he bought a tool that will but 20 together at once, but you have to have everything lined up just right ... its easier on the fingers but takes just about as long to get the links and bullets set up as it does to just put them together one at a time.

I was torn when the semi-SAW came out but went for the Ares Defence MCR belt-fed because I can use it on my M16 lower. It also works well with my Franklin Armory Binary Trigger ... it might work with my Echo, I'm told it won't but I haven't tried it.

Now we need a binary trigger for the SAW ... and more importantly, the 10-22!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
CD I have a Gemtech halo but it will nut fit on my para barrel did you use the longer barrel to suppress yours.I also changed my stock to the same as yours.

Posts: 1202 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw an ad on here where the seller showed an HK registered auto-sear and housing to fit on an M249. I can't imagine how the heck that works.. but fun if you succeeded marrying that sear up..

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
I thought I saw an ad on here where the seller showed an HK registered auto-sear and housing to fit on an M249. I can't imagine how the heck that works.. but fun if you succeeded marrying that sear up..

Won't work. The 249s has different innards, and an HK auto-sear can't be retrofitted.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
CD I have a Gemtech halo but it will nut fit on my para barrel did you use the longer barrel to suppress yours.I also changed my stock to the same as yours.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Para barrels have a different flash hider than a standard A2 FH. If the Halo has to mount to a A2 FH, it won't go on your Para barrel.

I have a Griffen Armament Paladin on that 20" barrel, and replaced the A2 type FH with a Stealth Minimalist taper mount. I haven't messed with the factory barrel's flash hider, but the two extras I have are 1/2x28 threaded.