SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Just got a Marlin Lever 1894 44 mag. Loading ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got a Marlin Lever 1894 44 mag. Loading ??? Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Made up some dummy rounds with Starline brass and Hornady 200 XTP.

Stuffing them into the load gate is tough. Especially the rim of the last one put in. So much for speed loads - PHOOEY
Once in the action works OK

Is there a secret I have missed.

As it is I am very disappointed. The rifle is an JM type.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insert each round about half way into the loading gate, then start the next round. Load the number of rounds desired in this manner, and then put the rim of the last round all the way in.

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Inserting halfway and pushing on in with the next is better. But still the last round takes a major effort to push the rim down and past the outer edge of the action sidewall. A tool like a dowel works to push the last round in.

Still not happy

Looking farther. I don't think the loading gate swings in far enough.

SIGnature

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Where the magazine connects to the receiver could have some burrs. I’ve heard of gunsmiths smoothing this out.
Also, there are aftermarket springs available for the loading gate. I know some Cowboy Action shooters that used these.
I always just sort of dealt with it on my Marlins. It does smooth out a bit over time.
And yes, a dowel about the same size as the casing helps keep from tearing up your fingers when loading.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The loading gate will eventually break in. If you want a new loading gate Ranger Point is the go to.

https://rangerpointstore.com/m...ht-fast-easy-smooth/

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re-spring the loading gate. And you may find very sharp edges on the gate and frame that need to be filed down.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Break in the rifle. It will be fine. Getting the last round in, whether .44, .30-30, .45-70, is always tougher than the previous rounds. And its a good way to keep your thumbnail trimmed.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
The loading gate will eventually break in. If you want a new loading gate Ranger Point is the go to.

https://rangerpointstore.com/m...ht-fast-easy-smooth/

I think the Marlin is from the early 80s. Still in great shape. Light wear but no signs of heavy or misuse. Needs a new but plate/pad.
I looked at the install video for the Ranger load gate. Looks do-able.

SIGnature

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Sounds just like the one I had. The loading gate was stiff and just like you describe. Can’t say as I ever shot that rifle enough to break it in, but it did start to get easier over time.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If the issue is related to difficulty in pressure pushing back from the magazine spring, here’s a quick fix. I have four 1894’s; 2 in .44, and two in .357. Only one fed smoothly and easily from the factory. A quick fix for the issue is to remove the mag tube end cap (carefully hold in place so the plug doesn’t launch across the room haha) and let the spring extend out. You only need about 6” past the end of the tube when at rest and fully inserted. Trim the extra coils off. Again, make CERTAIN the spring is holding the plug at it’s fully inserted position before you cut. Reassemble and enjoy much easier loading.

For an excessively heavy tension on the loading gate spring, a new one is your only option. Trying to tweak the loading gate itself will lead to it breaking or adversely affecting cycling.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post