SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are these “Gen 1” PMAGS?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these “Gen 1” PMAGS? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’ve been going through some of my stuff up in storage and discovered a box of these. They are 30 rounders. The packaging and the magazines say “Patent Pending” and Copyright 2008. There is no “M2 or M3” anywhere on the packaging or the magazine. Anyway, if they are, any specific issues, pro or con with them? I have several of them still in the original package (I’m not looking to sell just trying to understand any known difference between these, and M2 and M3).

Thanks!
(PS Click on an image to enlarge it)

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a gen 1, as gen 1 has the window area there even though there is no cut out. I have a bunch of gen 1, 2, and 3 mags. Gen 3 mags don't seem to fit some mag wells so everyone prefers gen 2. They are a bit stronger in materials and don't come with covers. I wouldn't be worried about any generation as they will more than likely outlast most shooters. Some people experience some cracked feed lips on gen 1 mags but so far I have not.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a Sidexside review of the changes and any perceived benefits or cons or each Gen.

HK Ag

Posts: 3497 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Gen1. I have a bunch of them. I have never had a problem with them.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
They are a bit stronger in materials and don't come with covers.

Are you saying the Gen 2 use stronger materials?

I was under the impression the Gen 3 came about to fit more magwells, improved geometery for feeding and were using a slightly stronger polymer.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
They are a bit stronger in materials and don't come with covers.

Are you saying the Gen 2 use stronger materials?

I was under the impression the Gen 3 came about to fit more magwells, improved geometery for feeding and were using a slightly stronger polymer.

I misspoke. They are not stronger but come close. The 3rd gen had issues with some magwells. Some issues due to the little bump on the back of the mag, to prevent over insertion and some just due to sizing. I had a couple that just did not fit in my gun/magwell and I didn't have an enlarged trigger guard. Also, some bolt carriers had issues with them upon inserting a full mag. Some say due to the carrier being the issue, some not.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a large quantity of gen1 Pmags and have had one crack. Sadly, I cannot find the pictures of the cracks. I did call Magpul about it and they wanted that mag back in the worst way for analysis. They sent me a brand new Gen 2 Pmag with a pre-paid label to return the old one and thanked me for calling them about it. Great customer service.

That mag still functioned properly even with the cracks. I am sure it would have eventually failed as I was taking a high-round count class when I noticed it. I'm still looking for those pictures and will post them if I find them.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post