SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    rifles in combat or that might very well see combat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifles in combat or that might very well see combat Login/Join 
posted
Do the professional folks that might use a rifle on any given day trust the electronic sight options that a lot of competition shooters use, these days?

I am addressing the battery operated one's that must be turned on and off.

l.e.o.'s, military people or prison guards.

are they reliable enough now that there are no trust issues?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
At least for the Aimpoint for me, I was issued one in the Army and have one on my personal rifle now, absolutely trust it.

That said, I still have back up sights.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Aimpoints red dot optics are in widespread use with military and law enforcement.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Iron sights.

I replaced my AR front sight post with one that has a glowy magic stuff in it so I can see it at night.

But, I found that shit with batteries always fails just when you need it most.

We had Aimpoints when I served in CG...same same. I never trusted it to work, or the procurement point was 1000 nautical miles away...

The rifle I carry everywhere has iron sights

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Iron sights are always up. I have a personal Aimpoint PRO on my work rifle.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
In the military I used an aimpoint that co-witnessed with iron sights.

I use that on my "go-to" carbine now. Other guys used ACOG's. I never was issued one or had a chance to shoot one extensively. I have one on my rifle though.

I never saw vortex (but I've been out for 4 years now, and haven't been to a combat zone in 7.), or eotech.

As far as the electronic fancy pants stuff...I was looking at an armasight zeus with flir....and I may need to start saving some pennies. I want one on my AR10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my company we use M68s (aimpoints) for about 2/3 of the M4s and on a few of the SAWs. No issue with turning them off or on and while they very rarely do fail, it is usually due to soldier abuse rather than malfunction.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
In my company we use M68s (aimpoints) for about 2/3 of the M4s and on a few of the SAWs. No issue with turning them off or on and while they very rarely do fail, it is usually due to soldier abuse rather than malfunction.

I've got four combat tours and have used aimpoints, eotechs, and Acogs. Acog is my go to optic though, especially for Afghanistan.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Just about anything that's actually purchased and issued in large numbers will work just fine for you. Pick the one that makes the most sense for you.

ACOG is your choice for long-range optics in terms of glass quality and magnified optics, even though you can get a magnifier for the red dots. Bonus points, no batteries. Sadly, tiny eyebox. Slower than a red dot up close.

EOTech has a very large field of view and reticule. I don't like the push-button interface in the slightest. It's difficult to manipulate, especially with gloves, and you have to look through the optic to know whether you turned it on or not. Unlike Aimpoint, it has an auto-shutoff feature to save the battery. Before the temperature problem they had an issue with spring tension on models with longitudinal battery mounting. The optic would turn off under recoil. It was bad enough dealing with this on a qualification range; I switched to an ACOG as soon as I could get one. If you buy one, get one with lateral battery mounting.

Of the red dots, I'm a big fan of Aimpoint. The on/off switch and intensity switch is a knob. Clockwise for brighter, counter-clockwise for dimmer or off. You can adjust the red dot brightness and turn it on or off without ever looking at the sight, and you'll know it's on and at the right setting. Your field of view is slightly smaller and your reticule is a simple dot, not the MOA-bracket with dot in the center you get with an EOTech.

The big seller with the Aimpoint is the battery life. It's literally over a year of continuous use. I left mine on for damn near two before I bothered to change the battery. Now I just swap them out at Christmas. $20 on the internet will buy you a five years' supply of once-a-Christmas rotations with the optic left on your setting of choice.

I've never personally worked with ELCANs but if you can get past the weight I hear rave reviews. More than a few of my Soldiers went out of pocket to get ELCANs on their carbines.

If you're asking about how my wallet votes, I personally own a CCO and a milspec ACOG, and I'm about to take the 1-6 plunge with a Trijicon Accupoint.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoints seemed to work good downrange in Iraq/ASTAN. Over 12 years I think I've seen 4 or 5 get coded out.

As mentioned above, the ACOG is a better optic for engagement at distance (with proper training and zeroing). But, the ones we are using are not electronic.

Both Army (Squad Common Optic AKA Fire Control, Squad) and the Marines are looking at LPVs or variations on LPVs as a go forward optic. But, It will probably be a while before we see a fielding.

Posts: 4586 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as we are talking a quality company I think the trust is there. I used Aimpoints, EOtechs and a Leupold CQT and all worked well in the desert. Iron sights are purely relegated to backup status though they are a solid option and I wouldn't have a serious gun without them.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with Aimpoint but the ACOG is extremely tough. Many units stopped issuing a BUIS and it's use is not even taught in boot camp anymore. Do they fail? Of course, everything does. Most common issue was failure to zero and I saw a few that had broken glass (but one kid still qualled on it). But to do that requires one hell of a beating.

I have an ACOG TA31H-G on my house Colt (switched from Comp M3) with backup irons, only because I'm old and stuck in my ways. And despite the eye doc telling me I dont have an astigmatism the dot always looked like a bunch or grapes.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint with flip up "iron" sights.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Aimpoint with flip up "iron" sights.

I have an Aimpoint PRO co-witnessed with IRONs on my .300 BO. While I only used iron sights in combat I would have no problem with this set up. Carry a spare battery or tw as they are tiny and last 1000's of hours of run time.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks folks, seems like they are pretty reliable, whan you have to have them

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the bros I see going into combat have Trijicon ACOGs or Aimpoint M68s. Most have no iron sights, or at least no rear iron sight.

They seem satisfied with them.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Wild. No rear sight at all, or do they keep the rear sight available but not on the rifle?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt they carry it. They have a bunch of other shit to carry. And PEQs for night stuff.

But they don't seem remotely concerned about it.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Wild. No rear sight at all, or do they keep the rear sight available but not on the rifle?

When the USMC first went to the RCO they still issued and taught the carry handle sights. I'm not sure if boot ever taught back ups (don't think so) but eventually they stopped teaching iron at all. All RCO now. 4-5 years ago some units still issued the KAC micro with the RCO, some did not. Last deployment I was on (end of '13) there were no issue iron sights, only the RCO (ACOG).

Iron sights are a lost art. A buddy of mine who was on the initial push in '03 stored his optic and used his carry handle. He was more comfortable with it and he was one of the best rifleman I have ever seen shoot an A4.

It is what it is. Optics are pretty much bomb proof and they have been tested. I just lament the math and concentration that went into adjusting irons. It made you think.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post