SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New to me: Action Arms Galil 386 (pre-ban)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me: Action Arms Galil 386 (pre-ban) Login/Join 
posted
Jumped in with both feet and got a genuine AA-imported 386 Galil AR, pre-ban. In excellent shape, I'd say 95% (but some wear, it is 35 years old). I even got a letter from the original owner who was stationed in Hawaii and had it sent to his wife, apparently also a firearms enthusiast as it is very detailed. Apparently it was picked up in an estate sale a few years ago, shot a few times more, and I got it from outside Portland, OR, of all places! Just goes to show there are some right-minded folks even in that nutty place.

Shot it last weekend. Runs like a top, with great iron sights, though they are still tough for my 53-YO eyes. As I expected, it threw mangled brass (I added a recoil buffer before shooting it) 30+ feet. Talk about over-gassed! I already have a correct KNS Precision adjustable gas piston that will be installed shortly.

I could probably already sell it and make money on it, but I won't of course. I'm feeling Israel-affinity as my son, who is about to graduate Virginia Tech next month, is in the process of joining the IDF this Fall and getting his dual citizenship. Of course, they use ARs.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun!
Re: joining the IDF. Make sure that you get a draft letter for him. I wouldn't want the Biden Administration to mess with his American citizenship for "enlisting in a foreign army". I hope that is just me being paranoid but do your homework. And Mazel Tov for both!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. Welcome to the Galil tribe. I’ve had my preban ARM 30 years now. You’ll never regret getting a Galil. Only thing you’ll regret is getting rid of it. Only thing you may want to do is get a spare recoil spring.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Beautiful gun!
Re: joining the IDF. Make sure that you get a draft letter for him. I wouldn't want the Biden Administration to mess with his American citizenship for "enlisting in a foreign army". I hope that is just me being paranoid but do your homework. And Mazel Tov for both!

Bruce

Thanks. Its a pretty established program. He's becoming a dual US/Israeli citizen via birthright (we're Jewish). He also has an aunt and uncle and two cousins in Israel about his age. He was at Tel Viv U. Spring 2020 for about 2 months as an exchange student before COVID sent him home. As you can tell, he's keen to go back.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll have a much nicer-shooting rifle once you get that KNS piston installed/adjusted.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! And unlike the Valmets out there, you can actually get magazines!

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score. I'm an AK fanboy. Nevertheless appreciate this Gali. Yea, hang on to it for a while.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Love the 386. Had one years ago. Had to sell it. Dam hated letting it go, it really is such a nice rifle. Enjoy sir.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Slippery Pete,

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
On my black gun list.

Would love to find the model with wood forearm and bipod.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Hillbilly Firearms will build you one.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice score! I have an ARM kit and a few SAR kits I need to get built out. Always on the hunt for pre-bans but never seem to find them and prices are way up on GB.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post

I like the wood version also.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Wish I’d stock up on Galils when they were more common.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is really sweet. So when I spotted one on Arms Auction being sold by a reputable brick and mortar store on consignment I snapped it up. Expensive, yep! But I view myself as a steward until I pass it to my son or some other person who will appreciate it in 10-20 years and get all my money back plus some.

I probably would have gotten a much cheaper quality parts kit-build Galil from TennGalil or a James River build IF I could find one on GB, but ZIP for weeks. Of course, within a week I got my AA Galil several were available, but I'm glad I got my little piece of pre-ban history.

posted Hide Post
Very nice example!

I got my NIB Action Arms Galil AR about 1985 when I held a FFL. It's still "as new" in the original carton with original accessories and paperwork.

It's been fired less than 250 rounds. I think dealer cost back then was about $459 /$500.

Anyway,enjoy your pristine example of the most reliable 5.56 x 45 auto rifle yet made. May not be the lightest or most accurate but it's by far the most rugged!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:
Very nice example!

I got my NIB Action Arms Galil AR about 1985 when I held a FFL. It's still "as new" in the original carton with original accessories and paperwork.

It's been fired less than 250 rounds. I think dealer cost back then was about $459 /$500.

Anyway,enjoy your pristine example of the most reliable 5.56 x 45 auto rifle yet made. May not be the lightest or most accurate but it's by far the most rugged!

Very nice. Mine is not pristine, but I'd say for its age it is in excellent condition with a lw to very low round count. Yours must be sight to behold.

posted Hide Post
Update to my Galil adventure.

I really like this rifle. I've added and adjusted a KNS gas piston so my Galil now tosses usually quite clean brass 6-12' (it used to throw often mangled brass 30+ feet it was so over-gassed). I'm getting a South African R4 enlarged round sight hood with enhanced front sight post (and I've got a KNS match post) off GB this week. I picked up a 2" wide, vintage SADF R4 sling, but I'm going to trade it in for a new 1.5" wide R4 sling. I picked up an extra gas tube and sent to Jeff Miller (Tenngalil himself) and he's going to add a full length picatinny rail and refinish it. This will be added with some sort of low-profile, light red dot that will, ideally, co-witness with R4 from sight/hood.

Strangely, my AA import was already in country when they bought the inventory of Magnum Research, and the letter/brochure that came with it stated the night sight flip ups are NOT, in fact, night sights (just painted) due to so import technicalities they had not yet resolved. So, I might replace with some "new" night sights. Don't worry, I'm keeping everything (all parts) so I can someday pass it on in "as-was" condition.

I've picked up several 35-round magazines for it. Including 2 almost cherry plastic "Orlite" IMI_made magazines. They weight 5.5 oz unloaded compared to the tank-like (and shred your finger tip) IMI steel mags.

Lastly, I found out that a place called Botach, long ago, sold 20-round IMG steel mags. I'd LOVE to get my hands on some of those. I mostly bench shoot, and the 35-rounders are very "tall." For that reason, I also have 4 of the white-striped 11-rounders.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, always wanted one of those.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Beautiful battle rifle!!! IWI offers some great choices and the reliability of their designs/construction is much of a draw to myself and others. I've got this Galil ACE pistol (I guess I should say ORIGINAL ACE, since there's a second version that just became available) and a Tavor X95 in .300 BLK. Beyond the quality of the build, are your options for personalization, which it seems you've already dove into! Best of luck and enjoy!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a complete set of Meprolight NS from 24hr tactical. The MR/AA night sight problem was due to the NRC license that wasn’t directly transferable since tritium is a radioactive item. They had to apply for and get a new license under their company.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post