SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    350 Legend Build and Scope Clearance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Legend Build and Scope Clearance Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted
The funshop got my upper built today. CMMG barrel, Aero upper receiver and USA M handguard. The lower is PSA with a Timney trigger (like a $1000 stereo in a Pinto) and Magpul furniture. I planned on an MLOK upper but I didn't account for the railed version. I went ahead and mounted the 3-12x56 Vortex with the standard mount. Man, there ain't much room between the rail and scope. I don't think it will hurt anything but I'll be doing some more research before sighting in.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As long as the scope is mounted firmly and properly, I don’t believe you have anything to worry about. Not touching, no problem, IMO.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
clearance is clearance in this area.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That’s about the clearance I have on one of my .223 ARs with no issues. I doubt the .350 legend will cause any issue. If the gun is flexing enough to make contact your likely have other issues.

A couple questions for you if you don’t mind.
Is this strictly a hunting rifle and what magazines are you planning to use?

I have an SBR lower with no current mate and wanted a hard hitting short barreled AR that was not a wallet crusher at the same time.
Most plinking ammo can be bad at under $10 a box and they say this .350 has more umpf than my .30-30 so I think it may fit the bill.

And I found this complete upper
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.c...w-10-mlok-split-rail

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
That’s about the clearance I have on one of my .223 ARs with no issues. I doubt the .350 legend will cause any issue. If the gun is flexing enough to make contact your likely have other issues.

A couple questions for you if you don’t mind.
Is this strictly a hunting rifle and what magazines are you planning to use?

I have an SBR lower with no current mate and wanted a hard hitting short barreled AR that was not a wallet crusher at the same time.
Most plinking ammo can be bad at under $10 a box and they say this .350 has more umpf than my .30-30 so I think it may fit the bill.

And I found this complete upper
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.c...w-10-mlok-split-rail

My self-justification is in case I get another opportunity to hunt hogs or deer. Smile

In reality, I've always wanted a .35 caliber brush gun. Practice ammo is cheap and even the Hornady SP's are just over $21 a box.

They're straight-walled cases which appear to be reloadable with carbide dies. Some people are even skipping the belling process.

Right now, I'm using CMMG magazines. I have one 5-round mag and three 10s. Lancer makes a 15, but I'm waiting for some reviews.

I had a lower with no mate and that was part of the "need" to get one. A outdoor writer buddy of mind sold me a Timney for $100. That was obviously another sign from the universe that I needed to get a .350 upper. I only shot ten rounds through it at the gun shop to make sure the build was functioning. What people are saying about the recoil is true. The Winchester FMJ's are pussycats.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So we are pretty much rowing the same boat on the reason for wanting one. My barrel will just be slightly shorter.

Where are you seeing Lancer mags for the .350? I have yet to see anything about that.
I’d buy Lancers in a heartbeat.

I have found 20 Round DuraMags (supposed to be made by C Products) and at least the mag shack reviews seem to be good.
https://www.themagshack.com/sh...d-20-round-magazine/

I have a number of C Products 5.56 mags and have had zero issues with them.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
they say this .350 has more umpf than my .30-30

Winchester introduced .350 Legend ammo and Winchester states that .350 Legend ammo is more powerful than .30-30 ammo.

hmmmm....Sounds a lot like AAC's spiel on the .300 Blackout. Do your homework before believing advertising.

Yeah, there are a select few .350 loads that have more muzzle energy and down range energy than a select few .30-30 loads. But look at the specs for comparable factory loads -- Hornady is a good place to start. Most .30-30 loads have ME that's a few hundred foot pounds higher than anything a .350 can produce, and the .30 caliber bullets tend to retain energy downrange better.

In reality, the .350 Legend's niche is hunting via an AR15 for states requiring straight-walled cartridges. The .350 produces ME that's maybe 100-200 foot pounds more than 6.8 SPC II, but at the expense of longer range ballistics.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you seeing Lancer mags for the .350? I have yet to see anything about that.

Wilson Combat

I didn't know about the C-Products 20's. I'll look into that.

Edited: I found one in stock at Joe Bob's.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Fritz actually shortly after posting that was looking into some ballistics videos and that was mentioned. Still seems for a solid option for me as I want a round that fits the AR15 platform has more power than a .223 and won’t break the bank per round. I am also only a state away from Ohio that requires the straight wall to hunt so may come in handy for that too.

quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:

Wilson Combat

I didn't know about the C-Products 20's. I'll look into that.

Edited: I found one in stock at Joe Bob's.

Those look to be .300 blackout mags modified by Wilson Combat and not exactly a Lancer product.

Aimsurplus has a number of the Duramag/C Products mags.
https://aimsurplus.com/duramag...s-steel-ar-magazine/

————————————————

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those look to be .300 blackout mags modified by Wilson Combat and not exactly a Lancer product.

Aimsurplus has a number of the Duramag/C Products mags.
https://aimsurplus.com/duramag...s-steel-ar-magazine/

That makes sense. I'll play around with the C-Products 20 for a while and maybe get a few more later. I bet someone will be along shortly to provide some more options.