SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Youth Air Rifle, Christmas is Coming!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youth Air Rifle, Christmas is Coming! Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
I have 2 boys. Older will be 7 two weeks before Christmas and his brother will turn 6 in early February. I think it's about time they each had a rifle. I was initially thinking of getting them a Henry Lever Action Youth in 22, but I think they should start out with an air rifle for a year or so.

I'm looking for something a little better than the Daisy. I ran across a Ruger Explorer youth online. Looks like a nice rifle. I am thinking about a pellet rifle, but if I find a decent BB that would probably also work.

The older boy is a lefty, but right eye dominant. I think he's going to shoot like a righty, but not 100% positive yet. I like the fact that the Ruger is ambidextrous. They will each get a rifle, but it will have to be the exact same thing...you know how that goes!

What do y'all like for a youth air rifle? In the $100ish range.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
This is more expensive then you mentioned but it's something they can use now and in 60 years, no exaggeration.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m...2_pump_air_rifle/205

They are to young to operate a spring/gas breach loader and where pump guns go, this is a legitimate rifle. Nothing about this is a toy, so they can learn to appreciate its value.

You could go with battery operated/co2 but those might make it to easy for kids to fall into the toy mentality.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
NickelSig229 beat me to it, a Benjamin 392 would be perfect, can upgrade to a Williams Peep sight easily as well.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
this if small chaps and on a budget:
http://flyingdragonairrifles.o...roduct&product_id=53

if a little bigger and more bugdey than HW-30 break barrel. nothing more handy satisfying or efficient in an airgun.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
This is more expensive then you mentioned but it's something they can use now and in 60 years, no exaggeration.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m...2_pump_air_rifle/205

They are to young to operate a spring/gas breach loader and where pump guns go, this is a legitimate rifle. Nothing about this is a toy, so they can learn to appreciate its value.

You could go with battery operated/co2 but those might make it to easy for kids to fall into the toy mentality.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find one of these locally. $170 is not out of the question. Cool

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post