SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Multiple uppers for 1 lower?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple uppers for 1 lower? Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
Just kind of curious

Question:
How many multiple uppers for 1 lower?

Choices:
None
One
Two
Three or more

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll start, I've got one lower that only has one other upper ... its a KAC SR15 MOD 0 ... and I also have a KAC 300 Black Out to go with it.

I included my M16, but maybe I shouldn't ... I've put other uppers on it, but typically it only has the 11.5" "Commando" upper on it.

All other AR's have their own lowers ... so if it wasn't for the KAC SR15 my answer would be None

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I used to have a mule lower. Over time, every upper got its own lower for essentially the same reason I started with a mule - lowers got to be cheap.

Modularity is good, but uppers are the expensive, complicated part of the AR system.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better to have multiple rifles, especially when you really set a weapon up with the correct buffer / spring for optimal performance.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most are 1-to-1, but is 3-to-1.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have an overbalance of lowers.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t have multiple uppers in my case, but for someone starting out it would be a good idea.

Put a great trigger in the lower, learn it, love it and be able to shoot any caliber. Logical.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I voted 1, only because I have an SBR’d lower that plays host to several short uppers. Unlike my other three SBRs that all have dedicated uppers, this one is a hodgepodge. Sometimes it has an 8.5” 300 Blackout upper on it, others an 8.25” Nordic Components AR-22 upper. The plan all along was for this upper to play host to the “toy” uppers while the others remain dedicated to serious calibers.

So far it’s worked out well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Lowers are cheap. No real reason to not have an abundance of lowers, especially now.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Lowers are cheap. No real reason to not have an abundance of lowers, especially now.

Agreed. Gotta buy them cheap while we can to stack them deep.

I have 3 completed and 5 waiting for yet to be determined builds.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Not so easy to have the cool set up in mass without some sort of possible legal issue.
So the upper to lower possibilities get tight.

But so far it’s been manageable.

Thank gawd for the clone threads and the Uber popular MK12 MOD 0/1/2 SPR set ups I like.
Preban lowers are worth a complete or more AR rifle.
If you can find a compliant one here at least.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
AR components have a tendency to grow into entire rifles. This is an undeniable truth.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
1 rifle lower, with 4 uppers. 1 pistol lower with 1 upper... So far.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Twice as many uppers as lowers. It's mostly about space.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My problem is I buy a gun with an upper (no matter the configuration) and then over time decide I want something different. I'd actually buy another complete gun, but that sucks in terms of actual process as what I want is never available locally. So I order another upper and away we go, arrives at home no hassle. So at this point the ratio is way more than 1:1.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I have one lower with two uppers. One is a SIG Piston 5.56 and the other is a 450 Bushmaster for deer season. I don't really see the need for a second lower to use 9 days per year.

Also, someone said that lowers are cheap, but when you start throwing Geissele triggers, Magpul stocks, Bravo Company pistol grips and whatever else you like on them they aren't really that cheap.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The only 2:1 upper to lower combination I have is a 5.56 SBR'd lower with a separate .22LR upper, in matching cerakote.

This is one of the reasons I keep spare lowers, uppers, barrels, rails, stocks, etc around: ironically, knowing that I can build anything I want keeps my builds very purposeful and deliberate.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I will usually get the upper built before the lower and try it out on an existing lower. I will eventually build a lower for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
AR components have a tendency to grow into entire rifles. This is an undeniable truth.

I have in the past had a couple of uppers without it's own lower...but it caused a rip in the fabric of my existence that had to be repaired...it's sort of "which came first...the BCG or the trigger group"...All is in balance now...one to one Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I’ve been scooping up lowers lately...

I’d guess 3 lowers for every upper at this point. Most are sadly stripped lowers though. Frown

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post