SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Straight walled cartridges allow for hunting deer.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straight walled cartridges allow for hunting deer. Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Friends of mine in the Midwest, where farms are close, used to only be able to hunt deer with shotgun slugs. Now straight walled cartridges are allowed. Is the thinking that straight walled cartridges don't travel as far as necked rounds?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think that’s the idea, with some of the 44 mag & similar rounds. When required I’m very content with one of my Knight inline muzzle-loaders for deer hunting. Yes, one does have to fiddle more than when using a centerfire.

I do the IL thing deer hunting, now even they have talk about the ‘straight wall’ cartridges possibly down the road. My 45 Cal Elite clocks at 2218 FPS with a 200 grain saboted slug, works fine.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Less recoil, allow use of handgun cartridges to be used for hunting.
https://www.gunnewsusa.com/201...-hunting-cartridges/

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
That’s how it is in Ohio.
I got a CX4 in .45acp thinking beyond plinking & my wife loving it’s pistol controls, I could use it for hunting at bow distances.
As it is I’ve not had it out to the range in years. Frown

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, the original intent was to only allow short-ranged cartridges, including shotgun slugs and handgun cartridges, and disallow longer-ranged bottlenecked rifle cartridges.

But lately, there have been several new straight-walled rifle cartridges like the .350 Legend and .450 Bushmaster, and a resurgence in older straight-walled rifle cartridges like .45-70 and .444 Marlin.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone will use the 458 Winchester magnum or some of the Nitro Express cartridges?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
In Indiana, they allowed straight-wall pistol cartridges, but there was a max case length situpulation that excluded the .45-70. some handloaders got cute and trimmed some cases down to meet the requirement...I think they called it .45 Hoosier or something like that. Then a couple of years ago, they allowed center-fire rifles on private land, so it's no longer an issue.

Even though we are no longer limited to pistol caliber cartridges for hunting here, I'm intrigued by the .350 Legend...basically a rimless .357 mag on steroids. I know I told my wife I wouldn't be building any more ARs, but this chambering kinda has me rethinking that.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yes, the original intent was to only allow short-ranged cartridges, including shotgun slugs and handgun cartridges, and disallow longer-ranged bottlenecked rifle cartridges.

But lately, there have been several new straight-walled rifle cartridges like the .350 Legend and .450 Bushmaster, and a resurgence in older straight-walled rifle cartridges like .45-70 and .444 Marlin.

And the 38-55.

That’s the one I would be interested in once/if the Henry line fills out to other rifles in their lineup.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post