SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    School me on Winchester lever action .357s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on Winchester lever action .357s Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Also at one time owned the much less expensive and well built Rossi 1892.
Keep in mind that in these types of rifles cartridge overall length is critical to feeding, so often a rifle ( 357 for example ) may run like a top on 357 length rounds but not function well with 38 specials without some tinkering

Yeah, I've heard about that problem quite a few times. Also with .44 Mag/Spl. I never tried any .44Spl loads in my Henry so I can't speak to it personally. Of course if you handload, you can always make special loads using magnum cases. I've also heard that they tend to not like wadcutters or semi-wadcutters, so you may be limited to round nose, truncated cone, or JSP/JHP bullets.

I know a few guys that have had similar issues,

they just stopped loading 38 spl, and started loading 357 case to 38 spl levels, w/o issues,

for the caliber the OP is looking for do a search for

Taylor (these will be Uberti IIRC)
Uberti
Rossi (good rifles)
Taurus (same as Rossi, but may have a funky safety on top of the bolt)

winchester (side note, some folks over the years have redone original 92's and the early replacement (mod 53?) in 38/357)
as mentioned, a 94 chanbered in a pistol caliber,

the sometimes sleeper is the Browning 92, released in the 80's in 357 or 44 made by Miruko, and are damn fine guns,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Great info everyone! Does anyone own a recent production Winchester 92 In .357? This is what I am leaning toward. Pros and cons?

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

The reason they developed the 1892 was because the 1866 and 1873 actions weren't strong enough to handle the (then) new smokeless powder cartridges. So, would a current-manufacture 1873 (or replica) have the same issue and be limited to powderpuff loads?

Close! The 1892/94 were developed so that they could withstand stronger RIFLE cartridges at higher pressures than Black powder rounds. Today's replicas are safe with all factory rounds.

G-Man, it is a Miroku/Winchester short rifle. 20" round barrel, Short Stroke action job in .357.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Great info everyone! Does anyone own a recent production Winchester 92 In .357? This is what I am leaning toward. Pros and cons?

Miroku did a run of 92's some years back. Rossi and EMF make them now. I don't believe that Uberti does anymore. I don't care for the 92. It is extremely sensitive to the overall length of the cartridge and they don't like to be run fast (which is essential for Cowboy Action Shooting). My favorite is the 1873 or the Marlin 1894 (in that order).

My late wife shot a Marlin for years until I put an 1873 in her hands. After her first stage she said "OK, I get it now".

While we're on the topic, the 1866 (popularly called "the Yellowboy") replicas have the side plates dove-tailed into the frame. This makes them much more difficult to disassemble than an 1873.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Rolan, Would you recommend the Carbine or rifle version?

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rolan, Would you recommend the Carbine or rifle version?

It depends on what you want to do with it, but I prefer a carbine. For Cowboy Action Shooting I just need it to hold 10 rounds of .38 Special.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I intend to use it as a plinking, recreational shooter. It seems they both have the same barrel length (20 inches) but have some cosmetic differences (like a case-hardened receiver and a band on the carbine foregrip). I don’t know if one is better balanced than the other or heavier, or more sought after. I really appreciate your insights!

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I believe (but feel free to correct me) that the carbine and the short rifle have the same barrel length with the carbine having a barrel band and possibly a saddle ring. The shot rifle has a standard end cap and no saddle ring. The rifle version has a 24" barrel (or close to it).

I've always preferred the look of the short rifle without the barrel band on the forearm.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I believe (but feel free to correct me) that the carbine and the short rifle have the same barrel length with the carbine having a barrel band and possibly a saddle ring. The shot rifle has a standard end cap and no saddle ring. The rifle version has a 24" barrel (or close to it).

I've always preferred the look of the short rifle without the barrel band on the forearm.

Most carbines are less than 20". Some were as short as 16" before the NFA.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Based on Rolan’s wisdom, I’m trying to find a new 1873 Winchester in .357/38. I like the looks of the short rifle over the carbine though (both are 20” barrels).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: G-Man,

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based on Rolan’s wisdom, I’m trying to find a new 1873 Winchester in .357/38. I like the looks of the short rifle over the carbine though (both are 20” barrels).

You'll want to send it to Cody Conagher for action work and a "Short stroke". Believe me, it is worth it. He also sells complete rifles with action work. http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
My LGS has a very nice .357 Henry Big Boy with a case-hardened receiver and an octagonal barrel. It feels really balanced and The action and trigger are smooth. Made in USA doesn’t hurt either. As a southpaw, my only concern is that it will eject casings into my face but the ejection port seems far enough forward if they eject straight to the side.

posted Hide Post
I don’t care for the Henry tube loading as opposed to a loading gate on the receiver but that is just me.
My grail rifle is an original 1873 in 38/40 or 44/40. These are usually far to costly for me to consider when they do come up for sale however

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Rolan, have you seen or shot any of those 1873 conversions to 45 ACP? That sounds pretty cool. Someday I'll acquire a Winchester 1873 but I was leaning more toward 38/357 as I have revolvers chambered in that. I've shied away from 45 LC because it would just be another caliber to stock.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
mbinky,

Yes. I have one. It is a very ingenious piece of work. They must first pull the barrel and cut off the threads and part of the chamber to make it headspace for .45 ACP, then rethread the barrel. The carrier must then be modified with a "trap door" to keep the shorter .45 ACP rounds from moving too far back in the carrier. The only thing to keep in mind as you use it is that when you load the magazine, you really have to push the last bullet further than you would think. I have a piece of antler that I use.

I bought mine directly from the guy who does the conversion, Cody Conagher. That got me the Rifle, Action Job, and conversion for just about $2k.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
My grail rifle is an original 1873 in 38/40 or 44/40. These are usually far to costly for me to consider when they do come up for sale however

My son sent these today. He didn’t take others because he only wanted info to get a Cody letter. Made in 1887 or 1888, my dad paid the then princely sum of $40 in the 1930’s. It’s 44/40 with 24” octagon barrel.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post