SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Where to start - Lever Action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to start - Lever Action Login/Join 
On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted
I might want to start CASS or even hunt with or just plink around with a good lever action. Henry and Marlin keep bubbling up to the top in searches - is there anyone else I should be looking at??

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry 30-30 and my Grandpa's Marlin .22.

I like them both but I have no experience with any others.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to shoot cowboy action you need Rolan to stop by, its a totally different game from anything I know and he's the wizard. And the guys who build them are specialized as well. But in this game caliber really matters. I personally love the .22lr lever actions. I have both older ones Winchester 94/22 and a modern Henry. Great fun. If you want to hunt you need to give some advice on caliber. Me personally I wouldn't hunt in a pistol caliber and that's what you will want for cowboy action. But if serious hunting is in the cards then a 30-30 has about the best pedigree you could imagine. And those exist in just about every possible combination. I like the older Winchesters, but if you want new then Marlin or Henry are fine. There have been a lot of complaints about Marlin when Remington bought them, but (and I don't follow this well) as I understand it the new ones are decent. Most say to get a pre Remington, which is easy enough. There are a million other calibers as well, the Browning BLR takedown is one I want. but you get the idea.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of new Henry's with issues, but I know some folks rave about them. I prefer the Marlins.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Big Marlin fan here. I have an 1894 in .357, a 336 in .30-30, and an 1895 in .45-70. The Marlin allows the mounting of a scope much more easily than a Winchester, and also ejects brass out the side and not up into your face. Marlins also load through a loading gate in the receiver, not through the end of the tube like a Henry. The Henry's and Winchester's are still nice rifles...I just prefer the Marlins.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Marlin 336's, one 1895, one 39A, and one 1894. Another Marlin advantage is it's easy to remove the lever & bolt to clean the bore from the breech end.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Henry, Marlin, and Winchester in that order for production rifles. There's not a Henry yet that didn't work as smooth as butter. Marlins are second and Winchester come in last for me. The Henry and Marlins are not as noisy as the Winchester on cycle. All three rifle are accurate. I won a few of each brand, I think the Henrys are my favorite except I have one Marlin built in 1951 (year I was born) that is a hell of a shooter. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For cowboy action shooting you'll want something in 357 magnum/38 special. Inexpensive ammo and can be loaded really light. Probably the most authentic design would be a Winchester 1873 replica. The Winchester 1892 and 94 came after the Old West era ended.

For hunting I would look at 30-30. Many options available.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
OK Pilken,

Go out to a match. Best to see what other shooters are using. Most people will show you their guns. Where do you live? If you're anywhere near me I'll take you out to the range. Also keep in mind that Cowboy shoots take place on Saturdays or Sundays. Matches typically last 4-5 hours. If you're not willing or able to do that, then this game isn't for you.

Second you need a pistol caliber rifle that is center-fire. .32 caliber .38/.357, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special/magnum, .45 Colt. If you don't reload (and even if you do), I'd recommend the .38. Ammo is cheaper, Lead is cheaper, Less powder, even the brass is cheaper.

You won't see many if any Henry lever actions. MOST shooters use either Marlin or Uberti rifles. My personal favorite is the 1873. It is MUCH easier to clean than the 1866 Yellowboy. Most people will then get an action job on whatever rifle they buy. You will see some Rossi, EMF, or even Winchester 1892, or 1894, but they are also the minority.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Me and my 1873:

DSCN1212 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Trapper Brooks with an 1892

DSCN1199 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Blue Ridge Rattler with an 1866

DSCN0604 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan 1873

Rolan Rifle by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Marlin 1894

DSCN0658 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
357 magnum can be used hunting out to 100 yards on deer sized animals without worry

If you get a 1873 in 357 you can use it in 38 and 357. One to play and one to hunt with.

I've got a Rossi 1894 copy in 357, but it's the trapper length barrel. 16 1/4". Itsa nice. But I defeated the stupid safety do-dad on the top of the slide

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Me shooting a "Wild Bunch" side match with my specially modified 1873 Uberti. Modified to shoot .45 ACP rather than .45 Colt. You can see one ejected cartridge in the air above my head.

DSCN1855 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have a Mossberg lever action.
It ejects out of the side like a marlin.
I've had it for 35 years. Likes Federal ammo. Winchester ammo doesn't eject well.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I do not shoot CASS but I love classic Western firearms. For a lever action rifle, I love the Winchester Model 1873 Sporter octagon barrel 24" reproduction made for Winchester Repeating Arms by Miroku of Japan. As with the originals, it uses the revolver cartridges. The quality of workmanship and materials is fantastic.

This rifle shoots like a dream. With open sights I can hit a shotgun shell in the snow at 30 ft. A loose pine knot in the snow at 50 ft. Now, believe this if you want, I was able to hit a 5/8" diameter wooden dowel at 75 yards (it took 4 tries.). I hit many other loose items at the primitive shooting range in the forest. And let me assure you I am a 69 year old blind feller.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The Colt 45 is a fantastic cartridge for the Lever gun. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Length of cartridge is extremely important in a lever action and causes jamming.
Revolver ammo of the same caliber, but different manufacturers, varies quite a bit in overall length because it does not have to cycle through a semi-auto handgun action. So, some of the shorter length brand loads will not cycle in a lever action because it allows the next bullet in the magazine to partially enter the area of action while a bullet is being cycled into the chamber. This jams the action and is no fault of the rifle, model, or brand of rifle. It is a shooter malfunction.
Also, very important, is to choose a flat nosed bullet. The rounded ball bullet presses against the primer of the cartridge in front of it in the magazine. Any sharp jarring of these bullets in queue may start a chain reaction of firing off all of the bullets in the magazine!

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hunting and CASS are two separate rifles.

IMHO, the best lever hunting rifle is a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage. Excellent deer cartridge in an accurate, rugged, and classic package.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Ya' Killin' me Pilken!

What are you thinking?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Thanksgiving then the snowstorm got in the way of my normal browsing routine.

I'll probably look to get a .357/.38 for myself after Christmas. From what it looks like here, Marlin and Henry are still bubbling up to the top of the list. (in that order)

It'll likely be used more for plinking and the occasional hog hunt. CASS looks like tons of fun, but not too sure on the time commitment.

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
It's still the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Click link: http://vid280.photobucket.com/...rapsNovember2012.mp4

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Rolan speaks the truth Razz...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post