SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone have a CZ 712 shotgun? Looking for opinions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a CZ 712 shotgun? Looking for opinions. Login/Join 
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted
I'm looking to pick up a decent shotgun to go on a dove hunt with a guy from work. I don't have a shotgun yet, but wouldn't mind picking up a decent one. Found a used CZ 712 28" 12ga nearby for $400, so I was wondering, if it's in good shape, would it be a good pick up? I couldn't find much through google search, but what I saw seemed positive. I've shot trap maybe 5 or 6 times and skeet twice with my dad, using his Remington 870. It will probably be used on rare occasion for trap shooting and now maybe an occasional hunt with the guy at work, so I don't really want to put much money into it. I was looking at a new 870 or Nova since they can be had around $400, but thought the 712 semi auto might be fun if it's reliable. Guess my main thing would be if it is reliable, solidly built gun, nothing fancy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSauerP226,

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and have used it for Trap and Sporting Clays. Have not had one single malfunction with it and I was shooting target loads. Since it's a gas operated semi they are more tolerant of variation in the power of the load being used. About the only downside is that breakdown is more complicated then a Remy 870 and cleaning up the gas residue can be a bit messy. I will also note that on a sound triggered Trap range you can't just drop the bolt because that is loud enough to seen a bird downrange. Basically you have to EASE that bolt down.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting shotgun. I have no experience with it. I do have experience with both the 870 and Nova. I now own 2 Nova's.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
What I had read, also, sounded like no malfunctions other than possibly with light recoil loads. One article said CZ recommends loads that shoot 1275 or faster. Thinking maybe I should give the 712 a try, and if it doesn't work out, go with an 870 or Nova. Hopefully the breakdown and cleaning isn't too bad, and even if it is, it's not like it'll be used often. I just wasn't sure if $400 for a used semi (that appears to retail for around $500 new) would be a junker, but doesn't seem that way from what I'm reading.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 712 Utility model due to arrive at my FFL on Tuesday.
I dont know when I can try it out but I will let you know how it runs when I do.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Thank you, looking forward to hearing about your experience.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
A NEW CZ 712 G2 12/28 can be had for just $50 more than the price you are being quoted for used...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...712+g2+12g+28%22+mc3

Another option to consider...you could get a NEW Weatherby SA-08 12/28 Synthetic at Buds for a similar price.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...2+ga+28%22+3%22+blac

I don't know anything about CZ Semi-Autos other than they are made for CZ in Turkey...which is not necessarily a negative. Beretta sources parts for their lower price point SA models from Turkey too....which is how lower price point Berettas get made.

But you could pick up a NEW Weatherby SA-08 Synthetic (also made entirely in Turkey for Weatherby) for the same money. My sons's SA-08 20 runs and runs and runs and has had no hiccups yet after the first thousand rounds. I have confidence in making that recommendation for Weatherby although I don't intend on inferring anything bad about the CZ. Just making a note that there is a similar gun for sale NEW at a similar price.

OR

For a little bit more money there is the Remington V3. It'll shoulder just like that 870 you have used before. My experience with it has been wonderful. Getting in front of the train my opinion is that it is destined to Remington's best SA shotgun ever...yes, ever. My goodness it is a soft shooter! Oh well, time will tell. I like the balance of the 26" personally...but here is the 28" synthetic for a couple hundred more than the CZ you are looking at or Weatherby SA-08....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...2g+28%22+3in+rc2+syn

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all that info, some stuff to look through. I had been looking to buy online and have transferred, but it costs $75 for a transfer at my LGS, then taxes on it, the price jumps pretty quick. I will see if any shop nearby has some of those models in that price range, or something similar, which would be nice. Unfortunately, most of my shops nearby tend to not have many good deals like you can find online.

posted Hide Post
SigSauerP226:
I picked up my CZ 712 Utility model on Sunday, thanks to Buds shipping it ground instead of 2 day.
Here the report:
Unboxing: Came with 5 choke tubes, a plastic box to store them in, along with the tube wrench. The gun was in a hard case that requires it to have the barrel off the receiver to fit. Each component was wrapped in a fuzzy blue sock. Two stock spacers were included.
Initial inspection: Nice even matte black finish with only one tiny flaw. A little too much epoxy was visible around the base of the bead sight. Barrel is serial number matched to the receiver.
Assembly: Went together without fuss. The owners manual is skimpy and printed in tiny type. But its in English! Easily understood operation, kinda similar to Benelli. Internal fit and finish was excellent.
Range report: Fired 25 rounds of OOB, all full power loads. Double taps, too. Ran 100%. I did not actually pattern the gun, but it seems to shoot to point of aim with typical OOB spread. Recoil is comparable to most semi auto shotguns with full power OOB, despite having a light hollow stock. Minor glitch: The magazine cap would become slightly loose after a full magazine of 5 rounds.
What it should have but doesnt: Sling swivels and a drilled / tapped receiver.
Overall impression: Great gun for the money! Nicely packaged too. The hard case was an unexpected bonus. Quite a few YouTube videos online from the CZ Factory shotgun guy, too.
Only thing remains to be seen is durability. But it wont see a whole lot of hard use, so any issues might be a while down the road.

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update! I decided to go with the 712 and should be picking it up this weekend. Looking forward to tearing it apart and learning it. Glad you are happy with yours, seems like it is pretty much all positive reviews, especially ar the price point.

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post

Picked it up yesterday, but was busy all day. Field stripped and messed around with it today. Everything feels pretty good and looks good inside. Got a couple snap caps to check the loading and extraction and trigger pull, all was good. The takedown wasn't bad, but maybe a detailed strip is a pain. I'm happy so far, hopefully I can shoot it alright and it works out.

Question about the chokes, do I just snug them up hand tight?

posted Hide Post
Yep.... dont over tighten them and make sure they are well lubricated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Yep.... dont over tighten them and make sure they are well lubricated.

I will second this advice, you can ruin a barrel by over tightening a dry choke because they can become impossible to remove. Tip, lithium GREASE or something similar is the type of lube you will want to use. Do NOT rely on oil, when heated some oils evaporate and others can take on a glue like consistency. Also note, just a bit more than finger tight using a choke key is plenty tight. In addition the worst thing that happens if the choke isn't tight enough is that it will shoot loose, provided you check the choke every 25 rounds fired and re-tighten. Forget to check the choke and after 100 or more rounds it may unscrew far enough to snag the petals on a wad and at that point it can get real ugly really fast.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. guys, that is very good to know before I mess something up . Time to, "get some more grease, dammit."

posted Hide Post
Birchwood Casey makes a dedicated grease for chokes. The big dog of aftermarket chokes - Briley
makes grease too.

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have a 712 ALS (Adjustable Length Stock) which adjusts from 14 1/2" length of pull down to a 12".

When I first got it, it jammed often, and I had my LGS send it back under warranty. After it came back, it's been flawless.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Had it out at the range, and aside from one bone head mistake on my part, it was a great gun! Shot some Winchester bird/target loads, 25 rds at 1200fps and 25 rds at 1330fps. Both worked perfectly fine, cycled the gun and everything. The previous owner said he had maybe 300 rounds through it. The one RO, mentioned here later, also mentioned he thinks CZ makes good shotguns, so that was good to hear. He was actually a cool RO, which can definitely be hit and miss. I put a paper target out at about 25 yards and punched out a nice hole in the center of the target, so the aim was right on. I used the choke one below "full choke," but I'm not sure what it's called. I believe the third one is "modified choke," so the one between those two, with two notches. I'm liking this thing, and am happy so far with my cheap semi-auto shotgun. Sure seems like it should be a solid gun.
Now my bone head mistake... I put the first shell in the magazine tube, hit the loading gate (?) release that dropped the shell out of the tube, then I charged the bolt to load it into the chamber. So far, so good. Then I slid my next four shells into the magazine tube and hit the loading gate release thing again. Oops... I fired the first round and it ejected, the bolt locked back, and the next round jammed on something as it lay right above the loading gate thing. It took a lot of dicking around and, eventually, assistance from a friendly RO, mentioned above, to help dig the damn shells out. We messed around with it and he finally realized what I had done and mentioned it. I had already shot some shells before that, so I don't know why I decided to hit the release that time, but it killed probably close to 30 minutes of range time. After that, it ran as it should since I did what I was supposed to do Big Grin