SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    DD V7S arrived
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DD V7S arrived Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
Some of you may have seen my previous post regarding the V7S. Finally got it yesterday. As a recap I chose the V7S over the MK18 as I was looking for something light and the added barrel length(11.5) seemed to be more lenient in the gas department. The basense of rails help offset the added weight of the slightlu longer barrel. I also have a MK18 in 300blk so I narrowed it down to this one.

This one is a dedicated home defense/truck gun. I had initially planned on going as light as possible but that would have meant forgoing some tried and true products that ive been using for years with no issues. I had researched various weaponlights to try and save weight over my M300 Scout. In the end there were few viable options and the weight saving werent going to be enough to try something I didnt have 100% confidence in. I picked up an Arisaka Scoutn mount which didshed some negliglble weight from the Thorntail mounts I had been using, its also a pretty streamlined setup.

The immediate changes were a Gesielle SD-C, The Arisaka/M300, Strike Indsutries charging handle that I wanted to try but if it doesnt workout I have a Geiselle or Raptor to replace it with. Lastly a set of Spike Micro sights. You'll notice the placement of the sights is not the usual as the Arisaka/m300 prevented me from mounting thefron sight ll the way forward. Not really a big deal to me as they're still functional should the need arise.

My last attempt to save weight was by running an RMR in place of the H1 but my mount will not arrive until Monday. I also have a Dead Air Sandman K they should be here next week that will repalce the the Omega for a more compact setup.

I had intended to run a small handstop, or none at all but after giving the DD foregrip a try for a bit, its not all the bad and I may just keep that.

This coupled with my SCAR 17 rounds out my 2 rifle battery. Total weight without the can comes in at 6lb 11oz. Should be even less with the RMR.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet! That is one nice looking rifle. Congrats.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Letranites87
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome! Congrats.

GeorgiaCarry.Org member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: May 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Man do I love Daniel Defense stuff! Very nice!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Oh man that is nice!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Sweet setup! Great pictures too.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Damn good pics there!

Those V7Ss feel great and are handy little ARs.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking shorty

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
May I ask why the front BUIS is mounted so far back? Wouldn't a longer sight radius be optimal?

Not criticizing, just don't know what I don't know.

Awesome bang stick you have set up there. Enjoy, shoot safe and may you and yours never have to raise it in anger.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That setup looks great! Lots of high quality parts there. The V7S upper receiver group is on my wishlist. If I didn't just purchase a MK18 upper receiver group from that recent Brownell's sale, that would be already on my SBR lower.

I was interested in the Spike's BUIS...how do you like them to compared to say the Magpul Pro?

Is the front sight set back because of clearance issues with the Arisaka light mount?

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
As noted above, the front sight is further back due to how close the Arisaka mounts to the rail. I hadn't planned on running iron sight on this gun. The truth is at most ranges I would be using this gun if for some reason the rds went down I could still use the rds tube for general aiming with good results.

While getting the sights further away from each other would be ideal, it's not absolutely necessary, even more so on a rifle of this type. I could also mount he the light further forward and might consider that once I get the Sandman K installed as I did notice some shadowing with the Omega and the light being further back. Really just splitting hairs at that point.

As to the sights themselves? They are flat, compact and light. Durability is still of some question. The first front sight I had broke at the base after simply flipping the sight up the 4th or 5th time. I took a pic and sent to Spikes who was aware of the problem and quickly sent me a replacement with 0 fuss. The first run of these sights apparently had a design flaw where as they didn't leave material on the base of the front creating a weak point. When I received the replacement I flipped it up and down about 50 times and haven't seen any issues. If they continue to go without issue I wouldn't have any problem recommending them. All that being said, there were given to me by my Dad off his Crusader and while I really like the sights, I dont know that I wold spend the extra money on them over the MBUS Pro.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
The immediate changes were a Gesielle SD-C....

How did you decide on the SD-C?
I have the M4V11 - trigger has to go and I'm considering the SSA - same 2-stage pulls as the SD-C but how much does the straigh-trigger bring to the effect?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:

I have the M4V11 - trigger has to go and I'm considering the SSA - same 2-stage pulls as the SD-C but how much does the straigh-trigger bring to the effect?

I have both an SSA and a Larue MBT.

Between the two I prefer the Larue and it is less expensive.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:

I put the SD-E in my SPR because I got a deal on one and liked it so when it came time to replace other triggers I went with the SD series so they always felt the same. I imagine you could go with the SSA and be just as happy.

I don't think I've paid more than 150 for any of my triggers and while there might be cheaper options out there I like Geiselle as a company. I haven't had an issue with any of their triggers or parts.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle, but you know that's never gonna see the inside of a trunk. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Awesome rifle, but you know that's never gonna see the inside of a trunk. Wink

Will be lucky if it sees the range more than a couple times a month, followed by CLP baths applied with Egyptian silk.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Very nice shorty.

I got an M4V11 earlier this year, absolutely love it, nothing but impressed with DD. Although the trigger in mine sucks and got hit with the recall, I was going to put in something nicer anyway.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Awesome AR...my LGS has a V7S in. It is on my list.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
that is gorgeous! and an absolute superb set-up!

I think I mentioned this in a previous thread you had about the V7s. I have a MK18 and, while I love it, the rails bug me, I don't really use them, and it's pretty dang heavy.

When I saw Western Sport got the V7s Uppers in-stock, AND had a $50-off any qualifying Daniel Defense upper or rifle, I decided to try it out. For right now, I swap the uppers between the lower that came with the MK18. it has a KE Arms drop-intrigger that I took off another rifle I owned briefly, but I bought a CMC flat-faced trigger for another rifle, and love that one, so I may swap the KE out for another CMC eventually.

I haven't shot the V7s upper yet, but I love the thing so far! I dont' know that I'll try to keep it super light - the fact it doesn't have the MK18 rail system on it already does wonders, but I love how yours is set up, and pretty much want to mimic it.

Oh, I've been curious about an RMR for a rifle for a while now - The problem I have with the Romeo5 that I have right now is that, if it goes down and I'm using the MBUS sights, I feel like the smaller diameter of the Romeo makes it really difficult to see through the back-up sights, limiting a lot of the view, if that makes sense - a feeling I don't get with the Aimpoint PRO, although it's huge.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post