SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    358 Socom Build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Socom Build Login/Join 
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted
And that is not a typo!

I've been looking for an AR caliber to hunt with up here, while sticking with small frame for under 300 yard shots. I had been very interested in 375 Socom (since I load for 375 H&H) but then I found this ad for a 358 socom kit for sale. At first I thought it was a typo but sure as shit, 358... What made me jump on it what it came with barrel, bolt, receiver, and most importantly, brass and dies! Still doing research on loads since there is zero published but the few folks Ive talked too say start at 458 levels and work your way up. I have found reports of guys getting 180gr bullets to 2500FPS out of this, and thats just the wheelhouse I want to be in. 180gr TSX is my go to bullet for .30 cal, so the same in .35 may be the ticket too. Also for this round, I can load .357 bullets for plinkers or even smaller game loads with pistol barnes solids.

I dissembled an A2ish build I had and reused the lower for this one. Still hunting for an optic (Swampfox, most likely) and ordering a Larue MBT for it.

Valley Armory lower #69
CMMG LPK
Ace Stock
Tromix cut and marked upper
Tromix barrel
SS Pepperbox A2 style flash hider
WMD NiB BCG
Aero gas block/tube
ALG V0-E rail

.358 Socom vs .458 Socom

So far I've just resized and annealed the brass. Waiting on my trimmer insert to come in before I start loading for it, but I made a dummy round with a piece that was short enough. I also found a pound of this locally to try as well as my RL7, Leverevolution and Lil Gun.

I'll update it if anyone is interested with accuracy and velocities once it warms up above zero for more than a day in a row. Razz

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The kid in me is wondering what 110gr XTPs or similar bullets would do.

Might be a step closer to a shoulder fired rail gun.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
The kid in me is wondering what 110gr XTPs or similar bullets would do.

Might be a step closer to a shoulder fired rail gun.

There’s a fellow getting just shy of 3000fps with that exact bullet and decent accuracy still.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post