SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hornady Black 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition = good stuff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Black 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition = good stuff Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
I picked up a lightly used Savage 12fv in 6.5 Cmoor over the weekend. It was an unplanned purchase and that means I didn’t have brass or dies ready so I resorted to buying factory ammo. I settled on a box of Hornady black 140 BTHP and headed to the range.

It took me a few rounds to get it sighted in and then I proceeded to shoot a .816” 9 round group. The remaining ammo was fired at 200 yard steel targets.

I’m more than pleased with the performance of the Hornady Black ammunition. I’m late to the Creedmoor party but glad I’m finally here.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmoor has a pretty wide accuracy node. I think you'll find most factory ammunition will shoot well. American Eagle has a good reputation as well and is less expensive if you're looking for other factory ammo suggestions.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
The 6.5 Creedmoor has a pretty wide accuracy node. I think you'll find most factory ammunition will shoot well. American Eagle has a good reputation as well and is less expensive if you're looking for other factory ammo suggestions.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I bought factory rifle ammo. If I had to guess I’d say 1988 or so. It caught me a little off guard, shooting as well as it did. I’ll buy some Starline brass and load my own from here but thank you for the suggestions.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It has been replaced with loads using different projectiles that I haven't tried yet, but I've gotten great results out of the 120gr AMAX and 140gr AMAX Hornady factory match ammunition.

140gr load, 5 shots each, 100 yards:

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by maladat:
It has been replaced with loads using different projectiles that I haven't tried yet, but I've gotten great results out of the 120gr AMAX and 140gr AMAX Hornady factory match ammunition.

140gr load, 5 shots each, 100 yards]

Nice shooting. I’ve got some 123gr Amax bullets I use in my Grendel, I am going to try them in the Creedmoor.

posted Hide Post
I haven't shot Hornady's Black ammo in 6.5CM. I have shot Black products in 223 and 308 calibers, and the ammo shoots quite accurately.

I have only shot Hornady factory ammo in my 6.5CM bolt action. Bullets included 120 Amax, 140 Amax, 140 ELDM, and 147 ELDM. I didn't shoot enough of the 120 Amax at 100-yard paper targets to get a good feel for its ultimate accuracy, but it did hold verticals very well on steel plates out to 800-ish yards. I felt the BC of the 120 bullet was too low to justify further purchases.

In my rifle, factory Hornady ammo of all flavors of the 140 and 147 grain ammo repeatedly produce 1/2" or less groups at 100 yards -- of course when the shooter isn't being a sheep dip. This has been with all three Bartlein barrels I've used so far. When I'm having a really good day, group sizes shrink to .3" or less.

I have no experience with the 123 Amax bullets. I know guys who like their performance in 6.5 Grendel gas guns, but I don't know of people who use them in a 6.5CM bolt action.

The BC of the 147 ELDM is overstated. Badly. I suspect the 147's correct BC is somewhere between the stated numbers for the 140 and 147. It is an accurate bullet, however. It produced a .38" group for me at 100.

If you want to verify your own loading capabilities, compare your best 6.5CM load to that of Hornady factory 140 ELD ammo. You should be able to improve upon the factory's MV extreme spread. You may find it challenging to beat the factory ammo's accuracy.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I haven't shot Hornady's Black ammo in 6.5CM. I have shot Black products in 223 and 308 calibers, and the ammo shoots quite accurately.

I have only shot Hornady factory ammo in my 6.5CM bolt action. Bullets included 120 Amax, 140 Amax, 140 ELDM, and 147 ELDM. I didn't shoot enough of the 120 Amax at 100-yard paper targets to get a good feel for its ultimate accuracy, but it did hold verticals very well on steel plates out to 800-ish yards. I felt the BC of the 120 bullet was too low to justify further purchases.

In my rifle, factory Hornady ammo of all flavors of the 140 and 147 grain ammo repeatedly produce 1/2" or less groups at 100 yards -- of course when the shooter isn't being a sheep dip. This has been with all three Bartlein barrels I've used so far. When I'm having a really good day, group sizes shrink to .3" or less.

I have no experience with the 123 Amax bullets. I know guys who like their performance in 6.5 Grendel gas guns, but I don't know of people who use them in a 6.5CM bolt action.

The BC of the 147 ELDM is overstated. Badly. I suspect the 147's correct BC is somewhere between the stated numbers for the 140 and 147. It is an accurate bullet, however. It produced a .38" group for me at 100.

If you want to verify your own loading capabilities, compare your best 6.5CM load to that of Hornady factory 140 ELD ammo. You should be able to improve upon the factory's MV extreme spread. You may find it challenging to beat the factory ammo's accuracy.

Thanks Fritz. I'm always happy to have you share your thoughts.