SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My new "not a shotgun" Short Barrel Shotgun, finally arrived!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new "not a shotgun" Short Barrel Shotgun, finally arrived! Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I placed my order in may, it finally arrived this week, and I had time to pick her up today. I bought the surefire light from a member here a few months ago in anticipation. It looks perfect on there! And yes, even with "low power" buck shot, it still sucks to shoot! At 15 yards I was hitting the rubber dummy center mass shooting from around my chest.

I bought it because it looked cool, was cheap, and should make a fine "bump in the night" gun. Anyone else have one? I don't know how the hell they got away with avoiding it becoming an NFA item, but I'm not complaining.

Obligatory "just got in the car in the gun shop parking lot" picture.

An hour later

And a rough idea on the distance to the dummy

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know how the hell they got away with avoiding it becoming an NFA item, but I'm not complaining.

I was looking at those the other day and wondered the same thing. I think Mossberg has one too.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
I don't know how the hell they got away with avoiding it becoming an NFA item, but I'm not complaining.

I was looking at those the other day and wondered the same thing. I think Mossberg has one too.

Mossberg has the shockwave. They both have a 14" barrel and 26.2 OAL. THE REASON THEY "get away with it" is something to do with the grip not being a pistol grip, so it's not a shotgun or a pistol, it's classified as a "firearm" or something. I suspect this will be similar to the arm brace with the atf going back and forth, but who knows. For now I think it's pretty cool!

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
FYI - Malwarebytes has your photos blocked, due to them being hosted by a potentially hazardous domain. (preview.ibb.co)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
And yes, even with "low power" buck shot, it still sucks to shoot!

Looks nice, but I do not doubt it is no fun to shoot. It reminds me of a comment Para made nearly 10 years ago when someone asked about a Serbu Super Shorty.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
FYI - Malwarebytes has your photos blocked, due to them being hosted by a potentially hazardous domain. (preview.ibb.co)

Well then I'm at a loss on where to host pictures. It seems like the page I used here works for most people but not all members to see.

├┼┼╕
246R

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
And yes, even with "low power" buck shot, it still sucks to shoot!

Looks nice, but I do not doubt it is no fun to shoot. It reminds me of a comment Para made nearly 10 years ago when someone asked about a Serbu Super Shorty.

I'd love to try aguila mini shells, but for a dollar a piece I'd probably rather deal with a sore wrist.

├┼┼╕
246R

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I can definitely see getting one, but it would be strictly because I can. They actually had to pass a law in this state to clarify that it's legal to own one - and they did. I would feel like an utter cad if I didn't make good on their efforts.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd love to try aguila mini shells, but for a dollar a piece I'd probably rather deal with a sore wrist.

I have one and a buddy has the mossberg version.
We both tried minishells in each - had no issues.
They're fun little guns Smile

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me the Mossberg version for my graduation present (grad school). I shot it and did not find the recoil all that bad, I do like the idea of the mini shells because of extra rounds.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect this will be similar to the arm brace with the atf going back and forth, but who knows.

I believe it would be more difficult—not impossible, because they’ve done it before, but more difficult—to ban an actual piece of hardware that’s on the market and in the hands of many owners than to restrict how the “brace” was used. Even though banning use was a new precedent, it didn’t affect manufacturing, sales, or possession. But anything’s possible under the right (wrong) administration.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I want one.

Btw, what shooting range are you at?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I have the AOW Mossberg it's a $5 ATF stamp. make sure you don't change out the grip it's what gives it the extra length to make it non NFA. Did it come with a compliance letter? I would carry that with you when you tote it around if I were you.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I can definitely see getting one, but it would be strictly because I can.

Totally this.

Can't really think of any practical application.

But for around $375 ... why the hell not???

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

I felt the same way sorta, after watching a few videos I have changed my mind.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I can definitely see getting one, but it would be strictly because I can.

Totally this.

But for around $375 ... why the hell not???

----------------------------------

And right now Remington has a $50 mail in rebate!

├┼┼╕
246R

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
LGS has the schockwave for $359, for that I figured what the hell, it may not have any practical use but it looks cool

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
What gun range are you at?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Very cool. I want one.

Btw, what shooting range are you at?

Sorry I missed this! It's called Ridge valley rod and gun club. It's right outside quakertown, is a private range nobody is ever at, and is $60 a year. When I say nobody is there, I think the most people that have been there when I am shooting is 3-4. They have a 25, 50 and 100 yard rifle range, trap, and pistol ranges with steel targets. It's my little slice of heaven. If you want to give it a "shot" we can set up a weekend to bring you as a guest

The rifle ranges are pictured in the OP, the various pistol ranges are:

pix host

pix host

├┼┼╕
246R

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
That actually sounds like the perfect place I'm looking for.

Thank you for the offer too, much appreciated. I'd definitely like to check it out!