SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are .308 battle rifles suddenly the new "it" thing? Where'd they all go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are .308 battle rifles suddenly the new "it" thing? Where'd they all go? Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
I've been on a waiting list for a SCAR-17 for almost 8 months, and no end is in sight. I got so frustrated, I started looking for a decent AR-10, or a Sig 716. Zip. Nada. The only thing to be had is guns from sketchy producers.

I can find 5.56 guns in almost any flavor, but pickings for .308s are slim around here!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my POF P308 EDGE SPR. It shoots fantastic. I don't have a large number of rounds through it. Only about 200.

This is their standard p308 edge

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/p308-edge/#

This is what I have.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/p308-spr/

It is my second POF i have one of their AR-15s also. It has a couple thousand rounds through it now.

Here is their AR-15 based 308. It is quite a bit lighter than most AR-10 style 308's.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scars seem to come in batches, based on whatever other orders FN is working to fill at the time, so that’s not really a surprise. As for Sig, who knows what they are doing. Probably churning out Rattlers and Virtus models, and already working on their replacements. Given how long the 716 has been out, it should already be on the discontinued list based on Sig’s recent long gun history!

I still see .308 DDs and S&W M&P-10s around, but not as many as before. I’m not sure how much of an “it” thing the .308 rifles were, but the 5.56 models are always going to be more popular due to lighter weight, lower price, and cheaper ammo. With the glut of ARs on the market, I would guess that many dealers are less inclined to spend on the more expensive .308 guns and risk having them just sit there.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
Tons available online. Gunbroker .308 semiautos

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berg:
Tons available online. Gunbroker .308 semiautos

Yeah, not tangling with GunBroker.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Who wants a 66 YO cartridge when the latest 6.5 and .224 girlfriends are younger, smaller, and faster? Razz

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My shop has a DDV5 and a 716G2 on the wall. Let me know if you decide to quit the SCAR-H search and go AR.

I think it's probably just a result of manufacturers dialing back production to match demand.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
There are multiple SCAR 17's on Armslist in MO now. And plenty on Gunbroker. I've never had a problem buying on GB as long as it's from an actual FFL with a high number of positive ratings. Why wait on a list for 8 months when there are so many other ways to purchase.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
There are multiple SCAR 17's on Armslist in MO now. And plenty on Gunbroker. I've never had a problem buying on GB as long as it's from an actual FFL with a high number of positive ratings. Why wait on a list for 8 months when there are so many other ways to purchase.

Oh, sure, I can buy whatever I want off of Gunbroker, provided that I'm willing to get gouged for several hundred dollars over price. I'm not desperate, so I'm not willing to go there.

-ShneaSIG

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
My shop has a DDV5 and a 716G2 on the wall. Let me know if you decide to quit the SCAR-H search and go AR.

I think it's probably just a result of manufacturers dialing back production to match demand.

LDD, you have mail, sir.

-ShneaSIG

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
FN is filling a large overseas order for SCAR 17s (Saudi Arabia and somewhere in Africa, so I recall seeing).

So very few trickling into the USA, so they are hard to find.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
FN is filling a large overseas order for SCAR 17s (Saudi Arabia and somewhere in Africa, so I recall seeing). So very few trickling into the USA.

Them folks are really cramping my style!

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
Galil ACE .308?

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Galil ACE .308?

Just say no unless you want an expensive and proprietary AK.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The Windham Weaponry must be cranking out their SRC 308 Rifles. Several LGS keep them in stock around here for more than a year.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
LDD, you have mail, sir.

Replied.

SCAR-17s have been coming into our shop, just not as frequently as they used to.

If Rhino's report is correct the Saudis have been cleaning up, they recently signed a contract with LWRC as well.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
As long as you are in no hurry, I'd hold out for the SCAR17s. There really is no substitute.

If you buy something else, you'll still always crave the SCAR.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
FN is filling a large overseas order for SCAR 17s (Saudi Arabia and somewhere in Africa, so I recall seeing).

So very few trickling into the USA, so they are hard to find.

You'd better shoot your SCAR 17 Abdul, theres starving gun owners in America. Big Grin

OP have you checked any of the larger shops or maybe hit the classifieds on some other sites? If you are LE\MIL it might raise your chances of finding something. A note on buying used, if someone has a Giselle Trigger in it its worth the premium over stock price

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
As long as you are in no hurry, I'd hold out for the SCAR17s. There really is no substitute.

If you buy something else, you'll still always crave the SCAR.
Truth.

And is it better to wait a year or two to get a SCAR 17, or pay a couple hundred bucks to have it now?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by m499:

Oh, sure, I can buy whatever I want off of Gunbroker, provided that I'm willing to get gouged for several hundred dollars over price. I'm not desperate, so I'm not willing to go there.

what price are you looking for?

completed auctions are 98% under MSRP (lowest I found on the first page was 2899)

note,,, I am not sure what any LGS asks for them,

I can tell you MAP is 3099, dealer cost is a few hundred below,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post