SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington brings us the V3 Tac-13 semi-auto 12G thingie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington brings us the V3 Tac-13 semi-auto 12G thingie Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The Versamax is about the only thing they do make now that I might consider buying.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is an interesting design and does pique my interest. I think it could be a very nice truck gun! Remington always recommended no shorter than a 20" barrel on their semi-auto shotguns in the past or they'd have issues cycling. I wonder how they got around this, with this one. Is it the versamax system that allows the much shorter barrel without cycling issues?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My 26” sporter v3 runs really clean and is extremely soft recoiling. It’s phenomenal! Randy Wakeman says it’s the softest 12 SA out there and I believe him (he’s got a bunch of YouTube videos on the v3 if you’re interested). I found that I could shoot it all day for a couple of days and my shoulder felt just fine. For me, it has less felt recoil than my 20 gauge O/U Beretta 686....I shot clays and hunted them side by side last weekend for comparison and boy was it close. I believe the v3 was actually softer in the felt recoil department using basic 20 and 12 gauge clay and field loads.

No hiccups or failures of any kind with my first 500 shells through it. I haven’t cleaned the gas pistons yet but a sweep or two with a .40 caliber brush should take care of that. The literature out there says V3 uses a modified Versa Port gas system similar to the Versa Max but the v3 has eight gas ports that bleed off gas according to shell length. Other than that, I believe Remington engineered the V3 from the ground up. I don’t own the versamax so I have to go on what’s out there already. I can say that mine runs fast and that shell ejection is strong and positive...almost comically. It’s all the way into next week. I think you’ll see the 11/87 and Versamax be discontinued eventually after they fill in the v3 line. Right now it is the 12 gauge v3 sporter in walnut, black synthetic or camo synthetic with 26” or 28” barrels AND, apparently, a tactical model.

It’s all metal, except the trigger guard, and it’s USA made. I love it. It’s a real meat getter in the field.

I understand that this thread is about a tactical gun, but in the sporter models, if an 870 fits you then the v3 sporter should feel just like an 870 to you on the shoulder. I’ve shot 870’s since I was a kid so it mounted and felt just like it should. I was pleasantly surprised in how quickly I could bring it up and mount it. That’s what initially sold me. Because the dual gas pistons are located at the receiver the balance is right between the hands. It’s very nimble. Trigger on mine is quite good...my GUESS is that it’s in the 4-5 pound range. Whatever it is it is easily lighter than the weight of the gun. There are no springs, etc. in the stock (the whole gas recoil system is at the receiver) so for tactical applications you could see some folding stocks etc out eventually. Me, I don’t care about the tactical models but I will be a buyer when the 20 gauge sporter comes out....hopefully next year. I have drunk the koolaid!

Anyway, after a quick search for those interested, here is the v3 tactical in action.....

https://youtu.be/_cWTSrOSlEE

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I just showed my son. He asked why you would need a red dot. LOL

A white-light with laser dot centered makes a lot more sense for these kind of shotguns.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Browning would sell a lot of A5's if configured in this manner.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Just a matter of time til somebody shoots their foot off with one of those.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Just a matter of time til somebody shoots their foot off with one of those.

More likely that they'll wind up cramming that red dot right up their nose. Nice development of the Shockwave concept. Shame that it had to be from Remington; the last 1100 and Versa Max field shotguns that we had in the shop was about 2 1/2 years ago; they didn't show well against the 3Bs (Beretta, Browning, Benelli). The worst part was the rough action; just didn't inspire confidence that the guns would be reliable. Wound up selling them for a loss, as there weren't any takers when they were at regular price.

Probably will be a bit of time before Mossberg has a response considering how their 930's action is designed and goes deep into the stock of the standard shotgun configuration. Basically requires a major redesign of the action given the limited space within a bird's head grip.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Matter of time before Mossberg follows suit, I'm sure at a lower price.

Not sure of the V3, if I go with an Aluminum receiver, I think I'd prefer a Mossberg.

As a note, my Rem TAC 14 hardwood is well made/finished.

I've had no issues with it, I prefer the hardwood as it retains the detent of the Wingmaster and has no mag tube dimples.

These short shotties are fun, don't know how I feel about it for HD.
If society goes belly-up, I'll put a regular stock on the thing to make it a more viable weapon. Though fun, the shockwave grip is meh.

It works for me as I have a lot of point shooting experience.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Anyone remember Lone Wolf McQuade?
Now THAT is the short shotty I want.

uploading images

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Is that an old Auto 5?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's a current production Remington, which means it won't work all that well, or it's poorly assembled/finished/whatever. If you buy one, the barrel rib will be canted a degree or two or it will have a 26 pound trigger pull or any number of things that can happen when people who don't give a shit try assembling firearms.

Double yup. Their QC has been in the can for some time.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
^^^^
Is that an old Auto 5?

^^^^^^^^^
It looks like it when you zoom in on the receiver and the forearm. Based upon the picture/age, it would make sense as well that it is an A5.
And just checking, online, these guys agree. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Lone...uade#Browning_Auto-5

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post