SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ARs, in 2018
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARs, in 2018 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigwagon:

Old school looking good !

Is that the Brownells furniture ?

The stock, handguards and pistol grip are all original Colt/USGI. Everything else is new/repro. Barrel and lower are Brownells.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Bigwagon you got a solid looking rifle there. I built one up similar a while back.
The vintage furniture wasn’t super cheap but a good bargain non the less.

To answer your question, Transfer fees are 25-40. But the lower needs to be documented in state no later than 7/20/17. (Copycat rifle rules).

Regardless, to have multiple uppers is fine.
My problem, I want to complete each rifle as a stand alone, ready to go and not have to transform a rifle for every use...so albeit cheaper these days to buy and build or build on most states, the damn lower rule here in mass adds a premium to those that want a complete rifle. Like 400 for an ok lower that still must meet post ban guidelines, or 1600.00+,(with meh parts), for a 94’ preban rifle.

Silly.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Currently considering a 17 HMR gas operated upper.
Hoping the price comes down a bit though.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
In mass that same Anderson lower at 39.99 is 399.99 on the private market.

That right there should be criminal.

How much do they charge for a transfer?
The commonwealth and it's gun ban laws. Captive audience and finite # of lowers

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Yea.
But Ammo is cheap and all else is plentiful.
Watching the local board with 7+ pages of “bumps to Top” is amusing tho. Gee wish I needed your 5 year old glock AR upper...cuz I can’t get a lower for it...

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Agreed !

In the middle of a 6.5 Grendel build with a 9mm pistol (colt mag) build planned later for the Colt upper & lower receivers I have in the safe.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Buy um Cheap & Stack um Deep is a good for us, but remember, The import Ban started in '89 which was almost 30 years ago, the Domestic Ban 26 years ago and other ban's before that ... thousands of shooters hadn't even been born when those bans went in place. If you go back to the '68 ban, there are millions of shooters that weren't even a twinkle in their dad's (or mom's) eye!

We've got to fight the gun grabbers and politicians to keep the rights we've got to ensure my grandchildren will be able to shoot up the ammo I've been putting back!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
In 2018, Retro is where it's at. I just built this one for about $650:

My wish list includes one of those too. A friend of mine built one last month, mainly for his 10yo boy, with a shorty stock and carbine-length triangular handguards and gas system. I didn't even know there were carbine length A1 uppers. The boy has been wanting to get into shooting but is very sensitive to noise - even a .22LR was problematic for him. He got to help his Dad build this rifle and was so excited to shoot it that when the day came, it didn't bother him at all. He loves it. He also scored an AR-style pellet rifle from Santa, and thinks anything from the Vietnam war era is way cooler than the newfangled M4 stuff. Big Grin

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I received a scope in the mail today.

Next week I have packages coming from LaRue and JP to finish a PRS gas gun build.

So what did you decide to use for a caliber? Valkyrie?

The Thanksgiving/Christmas sales allowed me to upgrade scopes on my ARs. My 20" precision match gun received a new NF ATACR 4-16x.

The older NF 3.5-15x on it went to a 24" Rock River which will likely become my precision training AR. Along with a new crisp single stage trigger, it's much nicer to shoot now. The DSC barrel on the RR is adequate for now, but once I burn it up, a Krieger is likely in the works.

The old NF 2.5-10x was passed down to a 14.5" LWRC upper. I'm keeping the Vortex 1-4x in the wings for the LWRC (what it previously wore), and with QD mounts I have to option to change optics according to use. With a better scope I'm finding out just how accurate LWRC really is.

I really like the Christmas toy season.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I really like the Christmas toy season.

We just never grow up!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting for the Class III transfer to clear from ratworx to my FFL, then I submit my Form 4 and wait. But scored me a Colt LE6933 factory SBR, brand new, for $1,115 shipped to my dealer. That is a smoking deal.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Arc mentioned purple Olympics I had a PTSD flashback to the shit 9mm Olympic rifle I had during the ban years. I bought an adapter that let it use Sten gun magazines. What a pile of garbage that rifle was. Couldn't get more than 5 rounds off before some bad stoppage happened. It was the town whore and changed hands 7 times that I know of. Nobody could get it to work. Now, I have a Stag 9 that runs like a clock and uses magazines that work perfectly and cost less than $20. As has been said, it's a great time for ARs.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post