SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR pistol concussion reduction device request
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR pistol concussion reduction device request Login/Join 
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted
I have an 8.5” AR upper I’d like to reduce the felt concussion on. Other than Noveske Flaming Pig, what kind of options are out there for this purpose? A can isn’t an option right now. Thanks!

Posts: 2397 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I have an 8.5” AR upper I’d like to reduce the felt concussion on. Other than Noveske Flaming Pig, what kind of options are out there for this purpose? A can isn’t an option right now. Thanks!

Both are showing currently out of stock, ( the newly opened PSA store/range local to me has 'em in stock, ) but these are the first two inexpensive options that come to mind:

https://shieldarms.com/flash-can-1-2-x-28

https://palmettostatearmory.co...lash-can-1-2x28.html

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
KAW Valley makes something as does KAK. I have a spare KAK I got to clear a longer handguard until my suppressor stamp came back (still new).

https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-flash-can

Posts: 3072 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for both posts. Any idea why the Noveske option is 100$ more?

posted Hide Post
Because it gets to say 'Noveske' on the box and the side of the device. I'm being somewhat flippant, but they as a company aren't known for being on the affordable side of the equation.

-MG

Posts: 1973 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Some of the cheaper ones are made of aluminum.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're shooting indoors nothing really works that great. I sold my AR pistol for that very reason.

I have had people leave the lanes on either side of me when firing mine and I don't blame them. I won't be in a stall next to one either.

Posts: 3901 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
If you are using a SiCo ASR flash hider or muzzle brake they have a blast shield that attaches using an ASR mount. Not the cheapest option but a good approach if you want something easily removable.

https://silencerco.com/shop/asr-blast-shield/

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:

it's multiple pieces. the others are single pieces and lack cool branding

Posts: 3072 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surefire Warden thread on.

About $100 and you just tighten by hand with no crush washer, so you can swap it on and off (I use Vortex FH's that don't need washers either).

Or you can get any Surefire SOCOM muzzle device and get a QD Warden.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the others mentioned, but this one kind of works/helps, it is still loud:
https://damageindustriesllc.co...81_79&product_id=186

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 8.5” AR is going to be concussive. Muzzle brakes and comps make it worse. Before I swapped to suppressors, I used the PWS CQB, which worked great. Only negative is that it’s quite heavy. Otherwise, a blast or flash can is what you seek.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
A 8.5” AR is going to be concussive.

An understatement! I HAD a 7.5" AR that was barely tolerable with a suppressor. Now have a 10.5 that's tolerable without/pleasant with suppressor.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8764 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for the comments, will let you know what I buy.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I put he Kaw Valley linear comp on my 7.5” barreled AR pistol and it was a huge improvement. Directs blast forward instead of to the sides

$40 at Joeboboutfitters.com

https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...vp-linear223-blk.htm

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I put he Kaw Valley linear comp on my 7.5” barreled AR pistol and it was a huge improvement. Directs blast forward instead of to the sides

Does it have to be timed and use a crush washer and all that or just screw it on and go?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Does it have to be timed and use a crush washer and all that or just screw it on and go?

These things usually don’t have to be timed since that have solid sides without ports. They are basically cans that force all of the blast out to the front and nothing to the sides. They are also usually very flashy, so hope you like fireballs. This is a 10.5” barrel with a Griffin blast shield.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
5.56/223 wasn’t intended to be launched from that short of a pipe ... you could either lighten the powder charge, But really, it’s nothing a longer barrel won’t fix.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
5.56/223 wasn’t intended to be launched from that short of a pipe ... you could either lighten the powder charge, But really, it’s nothing a longer barrel won’t fix.

I’ll grant you I wish I’d gotten a 10.5 instead of 8.5, but here we are.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll grant you I wish I’d gotten a 10.5 instead of 8.5, but here we are.

quote:

I bought a real Flaming Pig for my 10.5" AR and it does work well, and then I wanted something shorter and also built an 8.5" and a steel knock-off for $50, after the 2nd or 3rd time I'd shot it, when I went to clean it, I noticed about 1/2 of the cone in the inside was missing, I threw it away and next time put the pig on it, and no problem. Shot it several more times then got another pig for my 10.5.
The KAK may be ok, my knock-off was so generic it didnt even have a name on it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post