SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Gunsite Scout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Gunsite Scout Login/Join 
posted
Right before surgery I decided to give myself a present. Went into gun store looking around and they had the wood stocked, matte stainless barrel led action 308 Gunsite Scout. They sold a Leupold with it but the eye relief was way too short so I passed. I’ve been looking for that IER Leupold Scout scope with no luck yet.

I know the concept is dated but so am I so I am going that route. Probable that a nice leather sling and a buttstock bandolier.

Any tips or hints? I’m pretty stuck on the full Cooper idea so I won’t be talked off that ledge. That IER Leupold Scout seems like 5h3 only option to mount a scope effectively on the forward picatinny, is that true? Also who would you go to for sling and/or ammo bandolier?

Anybody have one of these?

I also replaced the flash suppressor with a nice muzzle brake. Having a bear of a time installing it though. Do you have to remove action from stock to get enough purchase on barrel to time it? I have a bunch of crush washers and one of the is hand tight about 1/2 turn away from be8ng timed and am having a devil of a time. Any tips, hints, links would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I have 2 (308 & 6.5CM). I tried Leupold LER as well but the eye relief just plain sucked! I went with a Burris 2-7x LER scope & couldn't be happier. I mounted a Leupold 1-4x Firedot in the normal position on the 308 on a XS sight rail because I didn't want to lose the rear peep sight, the 6.5 CM has the Burris scout scope on it. Both work well for my purposes.
I use a simple m-16 black web sling on most of my rifles. Simple & efficient.
As for the FH removal, I can't help. I am going to replace them with Surefire Warcomp muzzle devices but haven't gotten around to it yet.
My GSR's are two of my favorite bolt guns.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 705 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. I thought it would make a really good thick woods deer rifle and was really cool looking. I initially put a Burris Scout 2.5x scope with heavy plex in heavy Burris tactical rings on it. The long eye relief never really appealed to me so I removed that scope and put a traditionally mounted Burris MTAC 1-4x on it in Warne QD Ruger rings. I liked that set up. The MTAC is not an MOA scope, but it's great in thick woods, and I got respectable accuracy out of that combo. I decided I was going to learn the scout scope concept and went back to the Burris Scout 2.5X. After a couple hundred rounds I ended up liking it a lot better, but it was never really much of an MOA rifle, but it was certainly good enough for hunting.

My biggest concern with the rifle was its crazy light trigger pull. It had the lightest from-the-factory trigger pull of any rifle I ever had, ever. All I had to do was touch it to make it go off. It never slammed fire, but the trigger was so light I was afraid it might. Instead of working on the trigger, I ended up selling it to a friend.

Before I sold it I had a MidwayUSA cheek rest with ammo carrier on it, which I still have, and I liked. And a Magpul sling.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did that scope work eye relief wise from the forward rail?

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Did that scope work eye relief wise from the forward rail?

The MTAC has standard eye relief so I had to remove the rear sight and mount the scope in the traditional scope mounting position. Eye relief is too short to mount scout-style. But the Burris Scout 2.5X was a scout scope and had long eye relief to mount forward.

I also removed the spacer out of an Aimpoint Pro red dot sight mount and used that for awhile on the forward rail. But even with the spacer removed, the sight was too high. To high to get a good cheek weld, and just high enough to get a good cheek slap during recoil. So that didn't stay on very long. But if I could have gotten it lower, I think it would have worked well.

That scope in Delta-3's left picture looks really high to me.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked one up when they first came out and mounted a Leupold patrol scope on it.

I travel a lot. The Scout and a 12 gauge travel with me. Between the two I can hunt about anything or juts go shoot sporting clays.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Ruger, but I do have a Savage Scout that I mounted a Leupold fixed 2.5 Scout Scope on. I really like the combo. It's light, quick handling, plenty powerful, and the 2.5x is enough glass to serve my purposes at the ranges I'm likely to shoot.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have the synthetic stock model in .308. I initially tried a 1-4 power scope in the traditional position. I didn't hate it but it seemed off. I have a 2.75x Scout scope now and the balance is right and I can shoot with both eyes open. Lighter, too. I deleted the flash hider and didn't replace with a muzzle brake (as planned) due to wanting to keep that light front end. It wears a thread protector.
Especially with your wood stock, I would be trying to shave ounces anyplace I could. Light scope, light muzzle device, light sling.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you. Never considered a thread protector. That’s a good idea. I swapped mainly because the flash suppressor looked like crap. Beautiful rifle horrible muzzle device. As soon as a scope becomes available I will get one. The Leupold or Burris seem like good choices. Any input on rings or mounts? I want QD style so I can use the irons if need be.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I forgot that I also went with the XS rail with the peep sight and QD rings. Not sure of the specs on the rings as they came with the scope, bought from another member. Nothing extravagant. It fits the spirit of the rifle to be able to dump a broken scope and go right to irons.
I can hardly wait to take it to the 4-day Rifle Marksmanship course, early next year. You should come along Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I bought the Ruger polymer magazines, thinking that they would work the best, since many Rugers hate aftermarket mags. No dice. The followers tilt horribly and they don't feed reliably.
I hear good things about the Magpul AICS mags. I will try them next.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I bought two extra magpul mags. I’m not much of a rifle guy, classes would be good for me.

Funny thing is, I never even wanted a rifle until 1994. I came back from deployment to find AR’s were not verboten. I haven’t been without since then. Lol