SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CMP email: UPDATE M1 Garand has arrived...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP email: UPDATE M1 Garand has arrived... Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I ordered a Field Grade, mailed my check I believe on 7/14. Got an email a few days ago saying my order is being processed. This will be a long wait, but I am looking forward to it. I will post pics once I get it.

If you are on the fence about getting one, now is the time. I am 99% certain mine will be one of the 80,000 Philippine re-imports.

Stay tuned...

https://thegca.org/the-cmp-and...-philippine-garands/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I am 99% certain mine will be one of the 80,000 Philippine re-imports.

More like ~85% certain. Big Grin

The CMP has also received around 15,000 rifles back from Turkey in recent years.

But either way, you'll be very happy with your rifle. M1 Garands are my favorite rifles to shoot.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I ordered a Field Grade, mailed my check I believe on 7/14. Got an email a few days ago saying my order is being processed. This will be a long wait, but I am looking forward to it. I will post pics once I get it.

If you are on the fence about getting one, now is the time. I am 99% certain mine will be one of the 80,000 Philippine re-imports.

Stay tuned...

https://thegca.org/the-cmp-and...-philippine-garands/

Awesome! I'm sure you'll love it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Well, kinda. A family member was selling a Service grade, and offered me a 1944 Springfield Armory. Refurbished in 1967 with all Springfield parts. Serial number notes a March 1944 production date. All metal is in excellent shape, some wear, but no pitting. Stock is in very good condition, a few nicks here and there. Came with a WWII era cleaning kit, and cotton sling. It is beautiful.

Pics to follow. I’m just curious how it will compare to the Field Grade I ordered. And that sound, no I have not fired it yet, just making sure everything works the way it should. It throws out enblocs!!!

PING!!!

-----------------
I apologize now...

We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it! Are you going to order one of the gas plugs for it so you can shoot higher pressure 30-06's?

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
NRA-Life, I’m hesitant on the gas plug. I’ve always loved this rifle from the historical point. I have a 2nd one on the way, and if a family member doesn’t buy it, that will be my shooter. This was more of an investment to pass down to my son. Eventually, lol.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
ASKSmith, you can always put back the gas plug that was original. Since you have to either purchase ammo for the Garand, or reload to those specs yourself to not worry about the pressure curve. We picked up a couple that are special, non adjustable, but the insides are hollowed out to increase the volume of the gas cylinder, which lowers the peak pressure curve, so it doesn’t beat up the rifle. You can find those online too. And, congrats on both Garands! Always exciting to get!

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I currently own 2 CMP Garands and I only shoot M1 specific ammo in them. I'm just too lazy to buy the plug and when I was buying Greek surplus it was cheap. That said I bought my first Garand when I was 18 in Plymouth, Massachusetts. I had no idea about ammo and one day I was shooting 180gr. Remington soft points and it turned into a single shot rifle. After a few malfunction drills I looked at it and found that the extractor had blown off and the guts of the bolt had blown out. Upon examination the op rod was bent also. Was it due to ammo or an old rifle I have no idea. But to this day I only shoot "Cal. 30 Ball M2" in my Garands.

I have heard good things about the adjustable gas plugs and as noted they are a breeze to change so it's not like you are permanently altering a historical firearm. I might try one someday when I run out of Garand specific ammo.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
ASKSmith, you can always put back the gas plug that was original. Since you have to either purchase ammo for the Garand, or reload to those specs yourself to not worry about the pressure curve. We picked up a couple that are special, non adjustable, but the insides are hollowed out to increase the volume of the gas cylinder, which lowers the peak pressure curve, so it doesn’t beat up the rifle.

I have one of these made by GarandGear. I bought it in case I ever decided to take one of my Garands hunting, since I have a variety of commercial .30-06 hunting ammo on hand for my other .30-06 hunting rifles. http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

As stated, you can swap back and forth between the original USGI gas plug and this modified gas plug at will.

Unlike the adjustable gas plugs by Schuster and others, there's no adjustments, tweaking, or fine-tuning to each load needed. It's just a matter of unscrewing one and screwing in the other, and then repeating that to go back.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I was able to take my Garands out this past weekend. I had to send a second one back last week due to a stuck gas plug. Both are great shooters once I got the sights lined up.

Just ordered a Garand Gear Plug and Wrench. Thanks for the link above.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
New Gas Plug and Tool from the Garand Gear came today. We will see how it shoots this weekend. The tool works great I wish I bought one sooner.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post