SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 700 Magupul...thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Magupul...thoughts? Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking about investing in a Rem 700 Magpul for my first long range Bolt rifle. Looking at the .260 Rem. Anyone have experience with this rifle?

Thanks, Mike

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Looks good. The 5R barrel that is pre-treaded is a winner. And if the gun has issues, plenty of smiths out there that can fix it.

The X-Mark trigger is the one that is in the news. Supposedly it is fixed, but I think I would buy an upgraded trigger to replace it.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Skip it. They are overpriced, and at the end of the day, STILL just a factory Remington.

Consider:

Stock: $246.95
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...uminum-block-polymer

Action (better than the one on the rifle, since it's blueprinted and includes a 1-piece bolt (on SALE for $380): http://pacifictoolandgauge.com...mington-trigger.html

Your choice of stainless cut-rifled barrel from just about any manufacturer, in any length you want: $350 (as cheap as $200 if you go with a button barrel instead of a cut barrel)

Gunsmith labor to chamber in anything you want, the length you want, and thread it: $300

Total: $1276.95

MSRP of Remington's rifle? "starting at $1175", and I can't find one on sale anywhere online to get a real price.

If you want the barrel cerakoted, most guys charge about $75.

Or you could save even more money by doing a remage barrel from like Hawk Hill or Criterion or something.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd probably just get the 700 long range for ~ 700 bucks and have some work done to it, or I'd just get the 5r. I'm not a fan of those magpul rifle sticks.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got one on Tuesday , its the 260 in black, I put a Leupold mark 4 4.5x14 and got the M- lok bipod mount for it . I need to start and get ammo now . I think there is some match ammo out there . Gander Mount had one box of Rem premiere 120 gr for 45 bucks . its still there .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will use this 700 for hogs and deer . I have used a Remington 760 carbine 30 06 since 1978 this will be a different animal . I like the stock ,and the bolt handle looks just right its not overly big looking . I will play with it keeping the trigger it came with its nice and clean break . I almost got the real deal M-24 marked 7.62 for 2000 at Grice but the 260 should work for me .

posted Hide Post
I did pick up a few boxes of Federal Premium 140 gr .Game King ,with the nickle cases I will give it a try and see how she shoots .

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback! -Mike

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Skip it. They are overpriced, and at the end of the day, STILL just a factory Remington.

Consider:

Action (better than the one on the rifle, since it's blueprinted and includes a 1-piece bolt (on SALE for $380): http://pacifictoolandgauge.com...mington-trigger.html

Your choice of stainless cut-rifled barrel from just about any manufacturer, in any length you want: $350 (as cheap as $200 if you go with a button barrel instead of a cut barrel)

Gunsmith labor to chamber in anything you want, the length you want, and thread it: $300

MSRP of Remington's rifle? "starting at $1175", and I can't find one on sale anywhere online to get a real price.

Or you could save even more money by doing a remage barrel from like Hawk Hill or Criterion or something.
Wouldn't you need to add a magazine and bottom metal? Or am I missing something?

On the Magpul stock everyone I have heard of that has one really likes it.

exx1976 I like your thinking and you have me thinking of going this route and build either a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5 Grendel.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Consider:

Wouldn't you need to add a magazine and bottom metal? Or am I missing something?

On the Magpul stock everyone I have heard of that has one really likes it.

exx1976 I like your thinking and you have me thinking of going this route and build either a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5 Grendel.

Hrmm.. So you would. I stand corrected. I mistakenly assumed that the stock included that, but it does not - it appears to come with a hinged floorplate.

The "bottom metal" (which I believe is plastic) is $66.45 at Midway, and includes a 5 round mag. Additional 10 round Magpul mags are $38 each (far cheaper than their AICS counterpart!).

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...gazine-polymer-black

I just checked, and that action is still on sale at PTG as well.

So I guess my solution comes in closer to $1350 if you have a gunsmith chamber/thread for you. If you decide to go the Criterion remage route, it's a bit cheaper:

$246.95 stock
$66.45 bottom metal
$380 action
$375 barrel, including chamber/thread http://northlandshooterssupply...on-remington-remage/

Assuming you keep the X-mark trigger that's included with the action, and you skip the cerakote, you can be into a pretty good rifle for $1068.40 plus a handful of shipping.

NOW - having said that, I don't know if that's necessarily the route to go. The reason I say that is that the PTG actions claim to be "blueprinted" - which is good, however one of the things done during blueprinting is the tennon threads in the action are chased to ensure they are square to the bore axis. This necessarily enlarges them from the stock dimensions. I do not know how the remage barrels handle this. Perhaps you can have your action measured by a smith and provide that dimension when you order the barrel? I don't know. I would assume that the remage barrels are just cut to fit factory actions.

I know when a gunsmith blueprints an action and chambers a barrel for it, he hand-fits the action onto the barrel while the barrel is still chucked on the lathe. I've watched it done in-person (and actually done it once myself) many times. This way, there's no "measuring" of the threads to be done, so to speak, they just cut another .001" off each pass until it fits the way they want.

As for the caliber choice you mention, aside from sharing a 6.5mm diameter bore, those cartridges really couldn't be more different from one another. I'd carefully consider the purpose for the rifle. Also check and see if the boltface for a Grendel is even available from PTG as part of that sale price. Their "standard" blueprinted action packages are several hundred $ more than that sale one, which will jump your price up a fair amount (percentage-wise).

Also, plan to spend a few more ducats to have the scope base holes redrilled. On the 700 I just had put together for my practice gun, at 100 yards the windage is 2 minutes off from my Defiance. I found a smith that will do the necessary work for about $100 including the ride, so not too bad, but just something else to consider (and again, this is something that Big Green would not do to the original rifle that started this thread, so it will be an improvement over that factory-grade rifle. It's also not necessary, and certainly isn't necessary on ALL actions - but you'll know if it is).

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I was looking for something that would be an upgrade from a factory rifle, but not the full blown custom. Don't think I want to spend over $2K for a rifle.

The primary reason for considering the 6.5 Grendel is I will have an AR in the cal. And it is just fine out to longer ranges. But I know it isn't as capable as the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post