SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Temperature Sheild Wrap For Metal Handguards - Anyone Know Anything About Them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temperature Sheild Wrap For Metal Handguards - Anyone Know Anything About Them? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
So I was goofing around when I should've been working, but I came across a velcro wrap for handguards that's supposed to make it easier to handle an otherwise-hot rifle. Down here, metal gets hot if it's out in the sun.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Has anyone seem something similar that would work for the top bar of a metal skeletonized stock like those sold by CNC Warrior?

http://www.kearms.com/shtf-wrap

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have often threatened to paint my 3-gun rifle white to keep it cooler in the August sun.

I may give it a try this summer.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The stock is more of a problem than the handguard, generally. Heat on your face is more painful than on your hand.

Those wraps look like they would do the job. I would probably get them damp with some water.

You could roll your own out of a T-shirt and zip ties for way less than $30 but it wouldn't look cool.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Thin foam and zip ties or adhesive. Kinda like the ace stocks. Just something so it isnt metal but will still get warm in the sun anyway.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have this problem, but if I did I would be more inclined to address it hidden under the handguard rather than over. Like a GI handguard in principle, but I would probably use exhaust wrap tape. If its merely thermal in storage I'd get a simple cover.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the handguard itself winds up sitting in hot environments or being exposed to direct sunlight over relatively extended periods or both. Even a polymer handguard or a nylon cover like this one can wind up picking up some heat over time; what I'm kinda hoping is that it's no more than mildly uncomfortable at worst.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
I use something similar from burn-proof gear. It is based in their supressor wraps. Works great! I can get the rail hot enough to burn and the wrap is always safe to touch.

Posts: 261 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd wrap my Krink HG with this!

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Cattivo - With all due respect would you want to consider not covering up the heat source but rather allow the barrel to cool using a Thermal Dissipator similar to the one in the link below.... I only suggest this as an alternative to covering up the hand guard....Just a thought Sir....Mark

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.5_hs.php

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
allow the barrel to cool using a Thermal Dissipator similar to the one in the link below....

You mention a dissipater “similar” to those (which appear to fit JP rifles or rifles with the same type of barrel only). What do you have in mind? Anything in particular? And of course the dissipater won’t keep the handguard cool if it’s heated from the sun or storing the rifle in a closed vehicle, which is what the original question seemed to be about.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
allow the barrel to cool using a Thermal Dissipator similar to the one in the link below....

You mention a dissipater “similar” to those (which appear to fit JP rifles or rifles with the same type of barrel only). What do you have in mind? Anything in particular? And of course the dissipater won’t keep the handguard cool if it’s heated from the sun or storing the rifle in a closed vehicle, which is what the original question seemed to be about.

Mr. SigFreund - your question made me go back and re-read the OP and I missed the comments related to the weapon getting hot from the sun....
My brain read heat and I thought automatically the OP was talking about heat from a hot barrel.....sorry for my confusing post...I was way off topic...Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thank you both, gentlemen. Sigfreund's right, but I'm all for heat management as a general proposition. I don't believe I've ever even heard of a dissipater of that type.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
May I suggest a glove?

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Sure. But it's still easier to just put something on the rifle and leave it there.