SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone have the Ruger Precision 22lr rifle yet? My initial thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have the Ruger Precision 22lr rifle yet? My initial thoughts Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
So, I haven't bought a new gun in almost two years. Mostly because I think I have everything I need. I do have a bunch of redundant Glocks laying around, so I traded in a finicky Glock42 for the new Ruger Precision 22lr rifle. I honestly was going to trade the G42 in for another 10/22 but this caught my eye at the gun shop.

I'm not a big fan of the looks of the stock, but it is more functional than a standard rifle stock and won't need any mods like cheek risers, etc.

The trigger is really really good. It's adjustable, but mine is so crisp with very little take up and no creep or overtravel. It breaks at 1.7-2 pounds. I do wish they offered a flat faced version.

I've read some reports on accuracy issues with the stock 18" threaded barrel, but I'm getting 0.5MOA with even the crappiest ammo. I ran Federal 550, auto match, Rem golden bullets, CCI standard, mini-mag, subsonic, and Ely match. All shoots subMOA. I'm happy enough with that and don't feel a need to swap out the barrel in the future. Oh, and all rounds were fired with either a Gemtech OutbackII or YHM Stinger suppressor. I didn't fire any rounds without the cans. Perhaps next weekend I will try without them.

The action of the bolt isn't bad. It can be switched from a 2" rimfire throw to a longer throw that resembles a centerfire gun. I only ran it on rimfire, but muscle memory wanted me to run the bolt back longer. I may switch it to the longer version to see how much better it feels. I also noticed that you really shouldn't manipulate the bolt slowly or with any deliberation as I have failures to feed doing this, but no failures to extract. My biggest wish is that this gun came in lefty form.

The safety is positive, and the switch identical to a standard AR15 selector. However upon take down of the gun, it operates with a simple spring rather than the detent used on an AR. It feels good though, with a 45deg throw. I did reverse it for lefty use. I plan on getting an ambi selector for it in the future.

I also set up the stock for lefty use by reversing the single operating lever. It is simple to use, but feels a bit plasticky. I don't like the little protrusion at the bottom as it doesn't feel very natural when using my off hand to push the stock into my shoulder.

The gun came without sights so I scavenged my gun room for a cheap scope. This one is a no-name chinese piece of tactical crap, but it served it's purpose. 3x9 with an illuminated mildot reticle. I'll eventually get a better piece of glass for it.

I also ordered an Mlok harris bipod adapter for it so I can mount a compact bipod on it soon. However the gun does fine off of bags. It is a little long for sling-work, but I'll give it a go in the future as well.

The free float handguard is solid and very thin in diameter, which I like. It is simply held onto the receiver with friction and has a little detent at the top to align it with the picatinny rail. All held together with two hex screws that are accessible once you break down the gun. I did not remove the barrel so can't comment on the ease of doing so.

All in all, after 600 rounds today I was quite impressed. I sighted in at 50yds and was easily hitting 1" groups at 100yds. Luckily little wind at the range today.

Shooting has always been more of a chore for me, a necessity to keep my skills up. Hence I shoot pistol and carbine twice a week to keep my defensive training in tip top form. For the first time in a long time, shooting has become fun for me again with this rifle. And for the first time I look forward to taking it out and shooting it again soon.

I love the oversized bolt handle

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Nobody else has one of these? Or am I a dummy for getting one? lol

Took it out again today this time with a bipod mounted. This gun really is a solid shooter.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played with one last weekend and thought it was pretty neat. certainly an affordable option for a rimfire bolt gun. Shot well. If I did not already have a couple of 22 bolt guns I would certainly consider it.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I picked one up and am pleased so far with it. I agree with your assessment of it. I like the trigger a lot and have found it to be accurate. I have only been able to shoot it out to 25 yards so far so I need more trigger time at a longer distance. I have several 10/22's so being able to share magazines was a consideration in my getting one.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
I have several 10/22's so being able to share magazines was a consideration in my getting one.

Same here. I was wanting to get the American for a while, but when the Precision came out it was a no brainer.

posted Hide Post
I have an AR-22 with a custom match rifle, that is probably my favorite rifle. Sub MOA, no recoil, low noise. I know what you are saying.

What I want next is my own range with a track system plus reactive targets. Nothing like keeping your skills up.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post