SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR updates for weight reduction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR updates for weight reduction Login/Join 
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted
My SCAR 16S 10" SBR was feeling a bit porky despite trying to keep it uncluttered. I hadn’t made any changes to this one for several years and the aftermarket has caught up a bit so I figured some updates were in order. Here is what it looked like before any changes:

I put it on the scale and it weighed 8lbs 3.6oz unloaded which is a bit much for a 10” SBR with a red dot.

Originally on the fore end I had:
Promoted Pawn rail with w/QD sling socket on the LT side
OEM polymer rail on the RT side
OEM lower rail
Tango Down stubby QD fore grip
Magpul ladder rail covers on lower and side rails
Total weight including hardware: 10.1oz

New fore end hardware:
PMM Ergo M-Lok side rails
PMM vented M-Lok lower rail
Magpul M-Lok hand stop kit
Magpul Type 1 M-Lok rail covers
Total weight including hardware: 4.1oz

The OEM butt stock weighed 1lb 3.7oz including the Noveske flush QD sling mount that I added.

KDG states that their SCAR SAS stock weighs 2oz less than the OEM stock. At 1lb 1.8oz on my scale it’s a bit less than that when you factor in the Noveske QD mount (closer to 1.5oz lighter). Probably not worth it strictly from a weight loss perspective, but I must say I like this stock a lot more than I had expected. This thing is very nice, it reminds me of a mini Magpul UBR. I always liked the OEM SCAR stock just fine, but the KDG stock does feel much more solid. It seems to shoulder a little more consistently too. The cheek weld is a bit lower but it’s fine for a red-dot.

The Aimpoint PRO is solid but it’s a bit hefty for a red dot, with the ADM QD mount it weighs 11.3oz.

The Aimpoint Micro T2 in the Scalarworks LEAP mount only weighs 5.2oz total according to my scale.

Put it all together and my SCAR 16S SBR now weighs 7lbs 5.4oz on the scale, for a total savings of 14.2oz. The rifle feels much more balanced and maneuverable now and still has great ergonomics.

My old light setup was also a bit big and clunky. I had a Surefire G2X mounted in a VLTR QD mount on the top rail. It was QD but not ambi as I could only actuate it with my left hand forward.

I came across this Arisaka bodied 300 series light with the Malkoff devices E1T Scout head.

https://arisakadefense.com/col...?variant=12567957443

Man this is a great little light. Very compact, lightweight, high quality and more reasonably priced than the OEM Surefire Scout. I paired it with the Surefire remote switch secured with a Magpul M-Lok tape switch mount, and used a Gear Sector offset mount on the top rail. Very pleased with this setup, much lighter and more streamlined than my old light, and now it can be actuated with either a strong side or weak side grip.

And here it is all done:

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Well done sir. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your Scar collection. I want a Scar 17 but I always seem to have other gun related needs. Mostly high end glass.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looks good Brett, that is a good amount of weight saved for sure! I have a set of PMM Mloks all around for my SCAR when the bbl gets back after chopping. I really like the look of that ACR stock too!

Well done sir.

Edit: Tail switch question, is that momentary only or can you click it on/off?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice - I started a weight reduction plan on my SCARs, got the SCAR 17 where it needs to be and did some work on the 16, but got sidetracked and I have been shooting AR15s for the past year so it's currently back in mostly factory shape in the safe.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, it was a fun little project.

David that switch is momentary only which is fine with me.

What is everybody using for MLOK compatible QD sling mounts? I had planned to use this one from Griffin Armament but the backing nut doesn't fit with the PMM MLOK side rails. Figured I would look at other options before I got out the dremel to reshape the backing nut.

https://www.griffinarmament.co...-mount-p/smlokqd.htm

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Brett, have you looked at the PMM QD sling mounts?

I was using a DD pictinny mount, once I get it put back together I will be looking for a front sling mount as well. I went ahead and ordered the extension rail so I wanted to make sure my hand was not going to interfere with the PMM QD mount before I ordered one.

David W.

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using the KDG from QD plate - it replaces the existing sling points -

https://kineticdg.com/product/...front-ambi-qd-point/

posted Hide Post
I bought the KDG stock and really liked it, but saw lots of negative comments about it online so I uninstalled it. Have you run it enough that you feel confident to recommend it?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Molon Labe Industries

FN SCAR 16 Titanium Firing Pin OEM Replacement
FN SCAR 16 Titanium Firing Pin OEM Replacement Link

And then replace screws/bolts with titanium parts. Cool Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I admire your set up.

Side note: Those gear sector scout mounts are awesome. After buying my first two, I'm planning on putting those on all of my ARs with scouts.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I bought the KDG stock and really liked it, but saw lots of negative comments about it online so I uninstalled it. Have you run it enough that you feel confident to recommend it?

I had issues with my KDG on my SCAR 17, it started bending the receiver screws on the backplate - it never affected function but in the 2500 prior rounds before installation, it had never happened. So I uninstalled it and sold it off. Never tried it on the 16, the lower recoil impulse might not cause it to occur.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I haven't made it to the range yet. I'll report back when I do but I don't think I’ll have any problems with the stock on my 16S.

I've tried the PMM front sling mount but that is right where my thumb goes so I like keeping the front sling mount low and in front of the rail a bit. I tried this Griffen Armament MLOK sling mount but the backing nut would not fit with the PMM rails.

https://www.griffinarmament.co...-mount-p/smlokqd.htm

I got out the dremel and was able to modify the backing nut so we will see how it works out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brett B,

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle

I did the PMM MLOK side rails on my 17, and I kept them bare. I really like the slimmer profile and no cheese grater. I left the bottom as the stock rail, I might opt for the PMM vented mlok sooner or later.

My 17 is a fun rifle. I bought it when I had disposable money. I'd love a 16 SBR like yours to compliment it, it'd just need to be the more-accurate FDE variety.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of doing the PMM side rail delete, the vented MLOK bottom, and the KDG QD front plate.

The MREX on the SCAR is soooo svelt, if you have a non-SBR SCAR I honestly think it is the only way to go - I have thought about getting one and just cutting it down to fit my SBR 16.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Brett, that is how I hold mine pre bbl chop, I am hoping the PMM extended rail will put my hand out further so I can use one of the PMM QDs. I guess I will find out when it is all back together.

David W.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

The MREX on the SCAR is soooo svelt, if you have a non-SBR SCAR I honestly think it is the only way to go - I have thought about getting one and just cutting it down to fit my SBR 16.

I think that's a great idea, I almost did the same thing myself but decided to give the PMM MLOK stuff a try first.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Brett, that is how I hold mine pre bbl chop, I am hoping the PMM extended rail will put my hand out further so I can use one of the PMM QDs. I guess I will find out when it is all back together.

Yes that's exactly how I use the KDG rail on my 16" long 16S and it works very well to get your support hand further forward, the PMM rail should work great too.

Beware the amount of gas that exits the gas valve as soon as you get your hand anywhere near/forward of it. The gasses chewed up the thumb of my PIG glove during an extended range session with the KDG rail. I then made a gas deflector from some thin stainless shim stock. It's a little home-brew looking but it worked great at a 3-day carbine class this summer with a high round count and some very hot rifles. My thumb would have likely been burned off without it under those conditions.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com